Print Thread
Hop To
Page 69 of 1,842 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
whats a feller gotta give for one now a day?

Something clever here.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
5 bills for this one.

Grogel says it's fair. I'm going to offer 'em $400 today, but I'll pay 5.

it's unmolested 'cept for the sling swivels someone put on for me. Blueing is great, one tiny ding that I didn't see until the third time I looked at it. The wood is ok but looks better each time I look at it. The mag and chamber area are damn near perfect.

This one was made in the early 40's. It has some stories to tell...I hope.

Swish is an untapped knowelege on 99's. He knows his stuff. If you have questions on them, he's your guy.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I figgered he was.

good ole big swish in his big swish suit... all orange & stuff... so swishy... "swish-swish-swish-swish"

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah I think I read somewhere that the boy's grandpa is going. Good for him! He needs that! Should be a blast!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by big drift
Rooster give into the darkside.

The wiley wapiti are calling. No Phone no lights no motor cars, not a single luxury.

I really wish I could BD. I really wish I could...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

You can pass around the bottom one. Mod 71 bought new in about 1938 by my Grand dad. Rumor has it for around $80.00. Probably a lot for a rifle post depression like that.

It's got a few notch's cut into the stock by the rear swivel swing were my teen-aged Dad started to tally his bucks. Maybe six or so before he decided it might be a bit much to continue.

I still use it on crummy days on the still hunt. Lightning fast to the shoulder. Never fogs up. And lets the air out of bucks like a flat tire.

Craig

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
cedar on the wall there? nice.

what sized holes does the 71 make?

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate to say it Dave, being a wood guy and all, that stuff on the wall is photo faced paneling they sell cheap at Home Dumpo.

The 71 pokes 0.348" holes. I don't load, so it costs me about $3.00 per throw. I try to throw only about 5 a year.

Craig

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
rooster,

you were spot on brudder. I picked up my archery liscense yesterday. after hemming and hawing about it for 3 weeks.

I took my boy in the woods last night to play around. after explaning to him that bucks don't bite,(he's 3) he wants to hunt them with me. but only if he can start the keys on the 4 wheeler.

so long story short, I'm goin' bow hunting.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my 4 year old watched us build deer stands last weekend. he's got a little swingset playground sort of theing with a cedar fort type of tower up top that leads to a slide.

early this week he was up there with his hammer out of his kids tool kit & he was pounding away on the walls & floor.

I said "Joe, what are you doing?"

He never looked up from his work but he did answer me "I'm building a deer stand dad"

for the rest of the week he has been up in his stand with a toy rifle & he's been hunting.

He's shot a lot of bucks & a few "regular deer" too.

He's an excellent shot.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Swish is an untapped knowelege on 99's. He knows his stuff. If you have questions on them, he's your guy."

Im just passing on what Ive learned here at the fire. The savage collectors forum is what brought me here to the fire. There are guy over there who have been collecting and digging for answers on the 99 since I was in grade school, and they share the info. Sometimes the Internet thing kicks arse.

Dave, Your 88 is strange and confusing. Your refinish looks Great, I really like it. It also has blued metal and a lever...but...I..just...cant......dont...cultish??...Im going to go lie down.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jack is the same way. He shoots a lot of stuff with his gun.

His uncle bought him a toy Win. M70, with a working bolt and BANG noises. He has shot several "bucks" from the deck and car windows blush

If they are not "bucks" the rest are just deer.

His scardy cat sister has taught him all animals bite and are evil. Once you convince him that the stuff don't bite, he'll shoot it. Funny little bugger. He's my best buddy to boot.

Tom

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
99 = cultish grin

if all guns were movies then the 99 would be star wars.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
99 = cultish grin

if all guns were movies then the 99 would be star wars.

if Chuck Norris was a rifle he'd be a 99.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh boy, her we go with the chuck norris stuff grin

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
99 is your light saber for deer I guess.
In my "close" group,some of whom still live in Georgia,"The Gun" is a Remington Model Seven in .308.I have one of the originals with 18" barrel.The later models had 20".Light,handy and in my estimation the best Eastern Whitetail getter ever made.
Speaking of guns,I bought a Walther P-1(postwar P-38) at the gun shop where I work part time yesterday.Beautiful pistol.I've always admired them.Guy walked in and wanted to sell it.Shop owner knew I had been wanting one so he allowed me to purchase it privately.
Muzzle loader season started here Oct. 1st.Gun season starts Oct. 11th.I have a heart doctor's appointment Oct. 31st.I'll see at that time if he feels my chest has healed enough to fire a rifle.I feel great and walk three miles at the local park track every day.This operation has given me back ten years or at least that's how I feel.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Way to go Stan!!!! Your going to be in such tip top shape that you'll be able to run down ole forky and get him with a knife... Keep at it, and nice pickup on the handgun.

Now as much as I like a Great looking gun like the 99 I haven't added one to the collection yet. Someday soon though..

Around my camp you'll see deer taken with Everything just last season a 7 year old cousin took a nice doe with an AR 15. Rifles around camp vary ALOT mostly bolt guns for my buddies and either AR's or Contenders by TC for the little kids with Dad sitting beside them.

However there is a rule for my immediate family and that rule is no hunting without a levergun! My daughter has her own Mossberg 30-30 she likes, a 1970's model levergun, and the rest of us pack Marlins in 336's. So when it is just the Immediate family at my camp I call the place MarlinsWorld..

Oh one other thing I choose Jimmy Stewart for my last action hero watching on the T.V. Tha Far Country is my favorite.. Now alright then did ya see that, I can take care of me just fine and in a pinch I can take care of you too. Dave thats how I think of your place The Far Country, where it must be The place dreams are made of...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's great Stan!! glad to hear you are doing your part by being so active. so glad you have so much new energy!!

we're going to cabelas this morning, anybody need anything while we're there?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wabo , I'd love to see a pic of the gun rack (S) at the time you call

" So when it is just the Immediate family at my camp I call the place MarlinsWorld.."

For me I'm usually at camp alone so there are just the three Marlins in the rack .

Just in case folks haven't seen this pic enough yet whistle

[Linked Image]

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Page 69 of 1,842 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.