Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2462258 09/28/08
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my only hunt this year due to be short handed at work but it was a good one.

It killed me to not moose hunt and have to eat my goat tag but there was some circumstances at work that were un avoidable.

We went up to the Ivishak and had Randy run us up to the Ice fields in the airboat and drop us off to float out.

We didn't score any monster bulls and to tell you the truth I had no clue how to hunt the tundra maggot until this trip. We ended up learning though and had a great trip. I took my youngest son who turned 8 a week before the trip. This was his first remote trip and it was a trip I won't ever forget.

It was this year that trophy meant nothing to me and it was all about sharing the experiance with my boy. My good friend also went with his two boys who are 16 and 18. I have been hunting with them since they were 8. I have been with them for all their moose kills and now their first Caribou. What a great feeling to be a part of those kids lives in all of our hunting and fishing trips as they have grown up. We tryly have some great experiances to look back on.

Fishing was world class and the hunting was great once we figured out we had to get 2 miles off the river to get the Caribou. We packed 3 of the bulls 2 miles and 6 of the bulls 1 mile.

It was a pretty tough hunt for an 8 year old packing that far on the tundra but he did it without a complaint. He packed gear and antlers and all the sheds he could find. Two of the days we made 2 roundtrips that 2 miles packing.

It was day 3 I realized what a little hunting partner I had. We got up and I had not killed anything yet due to I wasn't sure about taking him on that far of a hike. Day 3 and we wake up and eat some breakfast when he says dad are we ever going to get a caribou? I asked him if he really wanted to get one and he said yep lets go. So off we went to where I had been seeing them. We hiked about 2 miles up a hill when I spotted a herd about another mile away to our left accross a ravine. We sat down to eat and glass them over for bulls. We seen 3 bulls in the herd and Bradley says lets go get em.

Off we go to try and cut them off. We were moving at a pretty good clip when I stopped and had him grab the range finder out of the pack. I told him that his job was to tell me when we got to 500 yards.

We were still a half mile off when he would stop and look while I was trying to boogie and cut them off as they were moving fast so I took the range finder back to carry for a while.

As we got closer I gave him the range finder back. We were about 700 yards away when the whole herd stopped to look at us. I didn't know what to do in the wide open and above them coming down so I had Bradley get me a white TAG bag out of my pack. I wadded it up and everytime the bou would get nervous I would wave it in the air and they would all stop to look at it while we got closer.

I got to 500 yards and they were getting pretty skidish. I wasn't expecting this but the cows and calves were really spooky. I got to a point that he told me we were at 470 yards. I wanted to get within 200 but they were getting nervous so I started calculating what my 375 Ultramag would do at that range in my head.

We laid down and all of a sudden they started running so I found the biggest bull in my scope and then got a lead on him and when he got to where I wanted I squeezed one off. Bradley says he's down. So I look for the next biggest bull that is in a dead run and do the same and I hear Bradley say he's down.

Mission complete at this point.

I range them from where we are and one is at 470 yards and the other is at 430 yards. By far the longest shots I have ever taken and to be honest I wouldn't normally do that but knew what my rifle could do at that range so I figured why not.

Both shots anchored them good. The first bull was a bad shot as I hit him right in front of the hind quarters on the spine. It killed him instantly though as it basically blew his spine out and I really didn't lose any meat.

The second bull was right in the boiler room and it basically blew his lungs completely out.

Each bull was one shot and one kill. By far my longest and best shooting ever.

Neither bull moved after hitting the ground.

We walked over to the animals and took some photos and then I got to show him how we clean them and get ready to pack them out.

He was a big help and I must say that i enjoyed hunting with him and teaching him more than I have ever enjoyed hunting with an adult.

We spent that evening and the next day packing. He packed food and water in his pack and antlers and I packed meat. He also packed backstrap out.

Here is the link to the pictures of our trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30776887N05/sets/72157607534436637/

The spirit of the woods is like an old good friend!
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sounds like you have a hunting pard for the next 15 years!!

Nice shooting, by the way.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great post & photos. When you are old & gray this hunt will remain as something very special in your life & your sons.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great pics, thanks for posting. lifetime memories for you all

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job with your son along!

Good guess on the drop too, next time though think about what you were trying, don't shoot a distance that you've never shot before, you could take a leg off, etc... and had you guessed elevation right on that one bull, you'd have a gut shot instead of a lucky high spine shot.

I know how packing them 2-3 miles goes though.... thats a job.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. 375ultramag;
Thanks for sharing the story and the photo link. The story was great and the photos excellent as well.

Please accept a tip of the hat from me for taking your son along with you. Well done sir!

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome! Good for all, and the hunting memories you have instilled.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool indeed. The family that preys together stays together... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job , and way to go getting the youngin' involved.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool hunt/ can me and my 11 year old go with you next year./ I will trade you a Mississippi whitetail hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice going brother! Knowing how much chit you ussualy pack for a hunt, I'm dying to know how much weight you limited Bradley and yourself to, for this float.

Get 'er under a thousand pounds?.....grin

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow! What a great time/experience, and he really got to contribute.

I wish my kid had the passion, but don't see it yet. He takes it all for granted, as he was out with his mom and I in a back pack doing things most people only read about when he was still too young to grip a bottle.

Life it not over yet, so maybe he'll come around some day. 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
Nice going brother! Knowing how much chit you ussualy pack for a hunt, I'm dying to know how much weight you limited Bradley and yourself to, for this float.

Get 'er under a thousand pounds?.....grin

Peterbilt - Wise a$$

Tent - 13 pounds
Raft - 100 pounds
Cooler full of food - 40 pounds
Wiggys Sleeping bags - 10 pounds or less
Sleeping pads - 4 pounds
Game Bags - 20 pounds
Fishing gear - 5 pounds
Our clothing including waders for 2 30 pounds maybe
375 Ultramag and a box of shells - Don't know or care
Packs and Pack frame - 7 pounds
Boots for 2 - about 7 pounds
Life Jackets - Priceless
Personal stuff for us both - 50 pounds max.
Leica 10x42 binos - Who cares
Propane boot dryer and propane - 5 pounds
Jetboil Stove and a few mountain house meals 3 pounds

That is it.

So under 350 pounds of gear.

The pictures of me in the Blue raft with Bradley we have 3 caribou in the 13ft raft with gear. That puts the picture in perspective.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL grin

There inlies the difference between a river jet moose hunt and a 'bou float hunt I recon. I imagine not needin the tool box and parts container saved a bunch. No chain saw, gas. Yeah, I can believe 350 total.

Not surprised ya took the propane boot dryer. I'm sold

Hey speakin of game bags, I'm missin about 6 ..... laugh grin (no worries)

NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Before this caribou hunt I counted my game bags. Somehow I have 33 nice game bags and 6 cheap ones :-) and 6 TAG Bags.

Interesting combination.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep 'em for slave bags.

That or stuff a chitty pillow in and make a doggie bed.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Didn't we burn those Wiggy pillow on moose hunt 07 grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, along with a [bleep] pack frame and some aluminum framed chairs. I'm still LMAO at that one. laugh

NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Dont forget the 20 gallons of gas deadbeat didn't burn shocked That went on the campfire

Remember he was scared to go out in the slough in a zodiac LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True, that KILLED to toss all of that ga$ on the fire, but then again how else were we ever gonna get all of that aluminum to burn !?!?! LOL

I think he'd have been better off with just oars. Woulda saved flying out an exta motor and gas.

Overall, no complaints here though.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,064
Posts18,521,473
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.