Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
...getting ready for Wyoming. I fire three shots of Federal Premium 7-08, 140g Partitions and am thrilled with the group I'm getting. Then I load three more rounds to make sure the magazine is feeding properly(Kimber 84M), fire one round, try to cycle the next and the bolt won't close. I try to chamber the round again and the bolt goes about 7/8 of the way then hangs up. I'm starting to curse Kimber's QC as I pull the round and look it over. Oops! I guess Federal's QC is the real culprit. Anyone seen something like this from the factory? It's a first for me.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would take an awfully generous chamber to get that in. Have you let Federal know? They should be interested in running that lot down I would think.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
That should score you a free box of rounds I would think.

Makes one want to inspect each round prior to a hunt I guess.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had the same thing happen once. Gunsmith found a sharp edge leading into the chamber. It wasn't the ammo.

Norm

Last edited by doubletap; 10/06/08. Reason: sp

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I load my own but that is one of the reasons why every round I hunt with gets cycled in my gun long before hunting season. That would suck rocks to find that out on a follow up shot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would bet doubletap hit the nail on the head. I trust Federals QC.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I trust them too, but then again the only round I've ever seen that looked like that was when my uncle was in a hurry at the bench. Just goes to show that you're not wasting time cycling factory rounds before a hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the same thing with remmy 260 ammo. Twas the ammo not the gun. Still have the cartridges as a reminder to look over your ammo before loading your gun even though I reload.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw one like that in 7mm Mag come out of a new box at a public sight in day 2 years back. Then 2 more out of the same box. I think it was Winchester ammo, but couldn't be sure. The shooter didn't know guns very well so he wasn't shocked, but the rest of us were floored.

With the metal brass bent under like that, I don't think you can blame the gun. Had to happen during bullet seating.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Calhoun is right. It can't be the gun (although, as I said, given Kimber's reputation, that was my first thought.) The brass is folded inside the case, so it had to occur during seating.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That lip is folded in from what I can see from the pic, gun would fold it out... bad round.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had something similar happen to me once while reloading.I had trimmed some cases and neglected to chamfer one on the inside.When I pushed in the bullet,the neck rolled in on one side.I just pulled the bullet and powder and threw the wrecked one away.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last week, the next to me couldn't get the bolt of his Tikka 22-250 to open. With one man holding the rifle and the other tapping the bolt handle, finally managed to get the bolt open. The primer fell out of the case. The primer pocket was expanded so much, that the primer could drop right into the pocket. It had room to rattle around. The primer was extremely flattened and was extruding into the firing pin hole. The case itself was showing signs of forming casehead separation.

Handload? Nope, round 16 of a box of Hornady 55gr Vmax. All other 15 rounds were normal. It happens. Shouldn't, but it does sometimes.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Weirdest one I ever had with factory ammo was in the early seventies. One round in a box of Norma, factory .44 mags ("carbine load") had the 240 grain HP seated backwards.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have recently had two boxes of Federal Ammunition, for two different calibres, that were firing hot. Both were blowing primers on custom rifles. Velocities were wildly excessive, matching the fact that the loads were hot. I have found primers inserted backwards and dented cases.

Where did you say we are going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (35, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 16 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.