Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought you might want to see what your tax dollars are buying. My team turned in our old MRAPs and picked up a pride of these Cougars. This is the one I signed for, hopefully it'll do us proud.
[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/20080705002.jpg[/img][/img]

This rig runs a M2 50 cal and an M249 SAW.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
to many square sides. be careful. a round vehicle would be more protection from ground fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impressive looking rig

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Manufacturers Info on the Cougar:

http://www.forceprotection.net/models/cougar/

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

As hunting trucks go, I'd take off the tool box under the door as that's what I'd get hung up on. Hope it's a diesel, looks like it's awful heavy.

Hope it works out well for you.

Be safe!

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rogue,

IIRC these are meant to offer much more protection from mines and IED's which is evidenced by the "V" shaped hull...

I hope that turns out to be the case as you guys deserve the best protection out there...

Best of luck to you and the others serving in harms way..

Pete

Last edited by Pete E; 10/11/08.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Every night I pray my tax dollars are going into something like this or funding a delta team rather than going to some welfare crack head....

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hope it service you well Rogue.

Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pete, they are a lot better than the wimics and snatches that the uk boys get. I've spent a bunch of time riding top gun in a wimic. I unfortunately have dealt first hand with really bad [bleep] that happens to soldiers in the southern and eastern parts of Afghanistan. These have more survivability than an up armoured humvee but they definately aren't the miricle we hoped they would be.

Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
cdhunt, Yes the sides are very flat, but remember it is mostly designed to defeat IEDs.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A meaty looking rig indeed... Maybe call it Mr. Beefy

Please be safe and thanks for your service.

Patty

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
be safe and thank you for your service.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rogue,

Huge improvement ! I'm pleased to see it.
When my son got to IRAQ in 04' they were throwing sand bags and plywood on Hummers to get what protection they could. In too many cases it wasn't enough.

Be careful and thank you for your service to our country !

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I hope it serves you well and does it's job. As far as the hunting goes- hope you guys "limit out" on your tags of bad guys!

Be safe.

Hemi

D
D
when you limit out use my tag since I can't be there. Thanks for your service and dedication

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rogue
Pete, they are a lot better than the wimics and snatches that the uk boys get. I've spent a bunch of time riding top gun in a wimic. I unfortunately have dealt first hand with really bad [bleep] that happens to soldiers in the southern and eastern parts of Afghanistan. These have more survivability than an up armoured humvee but they definately aren't the miricle we hoped they would be.

Rogue,

The Snaches and the WMIK's are a strange concept I've never fully understood. As far back as the 1970's, there were areas of NI where these types of vehicles were considered to risky to use due to the EOD threat, and they were replaced by choppers for the most part...

We are using our own versions of the Cougar known as the Mastiff and Mastiff 2, and its been uparmoured again from the ones you are driving plus they've ditched the vision ports..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The latest reincarnation of the WMIK is the Jackel shown below:
[Linked Image]

Its been well received by the troops and has a number of considerable improvements over the basic WMIK, including better protection from mines ect, but to me it still leaves the crew basically exposed.

It would seem to me that there is a requirement for modern version of the old Fox CVR (W)

[Linked Image]

I had a love/hate relationship with one of these for a few years so know it well; for its original primary role, its now very obsolete, but an up armoured "product improved" version would be in its element in either Iraq or Afghanistan as a recce/patrol vehicle...

Regards,

Pete

Last edited by Pete E; 10/11/08.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Replica of what we hunted with in Nam. My choice was the .308 that spit out 4000 per min. Got to love that .308---Web [Linked Image]

Last edited by wldthg; 10/11/08. Reason: Photo
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks like money well spent. The US is is proud of you.

Joseph

Joseph
Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pete, The new wimic's and mastifs are just starting to show up over here. I really enjoyed living with and working with the brits. They where all hard working and incredibly tough fighters. Nothing but good to be said about our british brothers in arms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Every night I pray my tax dollars are going into something like this or funding a delta team rather than going to some welfare crack head....

AMEN!!!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,116
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.