Print Thread
Hop To
C
crazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Member Blammer had a question concerning barrel swapping like a Savage. No, the thread of the barrel shank is not the same as the Savage. But you can have a barrel made for the Marlin by makers such as E. R. Shaw as well as others. You mentioned 30-06 to .35 Whelen. Yes, no problem because the case head is the same for both so no bolt head need be changed or extractor or ejector.
Savage swappers use a factory loaded cartridge as a go gage. If you can remove the barrel nut swapping isnt a problem but it can be a bear getting it off the first time like a Savage. If the Marlin does well in the marketplace it wont be long before aftermarket stuff appears like Savage stuff. The Marlin is in the same price range as the Savage Stevens model, but has a better trigger.

Crazy

Last edited by crazy; 10/08/08. Reason: error

Life is short,paddle hard.
GB1

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think we will have to wait and see about barrel sizes.

One posting said thread count was the same (20 tpi) but diameters were different (1.060 vs 1 1/16th) One and one sixteenth is 1.0625. Probably barrels vary that much within a brand.

Bruce

C
crazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I had the dimensions written down on a scrap of paper but around this desk, forget it. Your right, not much of a difference but I would still prefer the correct dia. if I were to rebuild. It will indeed be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I have rebarreled three Savages and it isnt that difficult but there have been so many changes to Savages over the years that you have to be carefull what you start with. I dont think anyone will have that probelm with the Marlin.

Crazy

C
crazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Yesterday (Nov 6) I talked to a fellow at MidwayUSA and asked if they were planning on supplying aftermarket barrels, barrel nut wrenches etc. for the Marlin XL-7 for those that may want to change calibers. He told me that they were watching the situation and if sales of Marlin XL-7's warrented they would likely consider supplying aftermarket barrels and related parts.
Lets hope so. I had an opportunity to handle several of them at our clubs sight in day and was very impressed. Accuracy was escellent.

Crazy

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Savage barrel thread is 20 TPI x 1.055" OD...I try to keep it 1.052"-1.053" OD...seems to be easier to swap in and not mess up, still leaves plenty of contact and very little slop.

Any competent gunsmith can rebarrel or chamber and thread for DIY...and so can any machine shop if they want to mess with it, plus make you a barrel nut wrench. All the Savage barrels and receivers I've played with are very close and it doesn't take much more than a couple thou one way or the other to cause galling, plus 20 TPI is fine enough to get cross threaded very easy.

Chasing the threads on both the receiver and barrel makes for a much better fit. Midway has a tap and die that works great for Savages...mayby they will do the same for the XL-7.

If you are really interested you might talk to Pac-Nor to see if they will do you a prethread/chambered barrel...all he needs is the correct thread profile, OD and thread length. Not sure if ER Shaw will do a premade barrel for the Marlin yet but no thread, no chambered, contoured barrels are always available...in time..my last two barrels took right at two months after they got the money.

I've used on sale barrels for Rem, Savage and Mauser in calibers I wanted to have or bore sizes I happened to want, to thread and chamber on several different receivers. It's all just lathe work.

IC B2

C
crazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
NFG my friend, I have no intention of buying and rebarreling a marlin. I have plenty of rifles now as it is and at age 72 I dont plan on any more. I supplied that info for those that may be contemplating doing a swap. I have rebarreled 3 Savages and found it an easy enough task. All you say is true, any of the makers of barrels could supply a barrel, Krieger, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Shaw etc. I had no trouble with cross threading when assembling my rifles. Having ready made equipment made it easier and cheaper than having special stuff made like nut wrenches. Adams and Bennet barrels from Midway at $129.95 (got my .35 Whelen on sale for $89) made it a lot easier on my wallet. All three barrels shoot MOA or better with handloads. Not target quality but more than good enough for hunting and better than most out of box makes. And a lot cheaper than a custom barrel from say Shilen for over #300. For the cost of barrels I could turn my Savages (or Marlin if I had one) from a .30-06 to a .22-250 varminter or a .375 Ruger elephant rifle, all with one action and two extra barrels.

Crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the 375 Ruger case head same diameter as '06 and 22-250?

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
375 Ruger is a larger case head, about the same as the belted magnums in size. On a Savage, you can change bolt faces.

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool enough!

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Ahhhh..OK...whatever...I understood from the tone of the question you were thinking about doing it, was asking questions and I was responding. The same question has come up of other forums and I'm sure it has been on many minds. I would be surprised if a conversion hasn't already been done or some 'smith isn't already working on the possibility since the rifle first appeared.

While I have at least one barrel(for 6 different switch barrel receivers, Savage, Rem and Ruger) or a complete rifle for almost all the different calibers (plus a few extra receivers lying around for when I get another wild hair) including rifles in 80% of all the available receivers, I have no need whatsoever for another...I built 4 rifles this year alone...BUT...I will probably aquire at least one XL-7 rifle to checkout and play with...just for the pleasure in doing it.

I gave an answer for information only on the possibilities...do with it as you may, it ain't no thang.

338Fed...You can run a search on this or any number of rifle forums and on Google and get tons of information on the 375 Ruger. If you want or need a caliber this large it is a very easy conversion to do for ANY LA receiver.

The case head is 0.532" same dia as almost all magnum case heads except for the very large caliber ones like Rigby or Weatherby. It would also make a very nice case for a SA Savage conversion by shortening it about 1/2" to get a COAL that would work in the SA mag.

Although there is already a 375 WSM available for the wildcatter, using the slightly smaller Ruger dia case might make it easier to work with. I have 2 - 375 cal rifles and another almost at the barrel buying point, but I stopped short when the Ruger case became available. I'm trying to get all the other "loose" projects completed so I can decide which way to jump. I think a 416 cal in either a short or long version would be great for large game and from what I've read there is a 416 Ruger already in the pipeline.

Luck on your projects.

IC B3

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NFG
and from what I've read there is a 416 Ruger already in the pipeline.

Luck on your projects.

416 Ruger:
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=790

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Thanks bcp...I've been following...somewhat...the blurbs on different forums. I have a 416 Taylor and it wouldn't be much to set the chamber back a thread and rechamber to 416 R. Same goes for my 375 H&H, but I see no real reason to do so. I'm getting the same ballistics as the Ruger now, in the same length cartridges...BUT...If I were doing a new rifle I certainly would be going with the Ruger cases tho'.

Luck on your projects.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
well Shilen currently has my XL 7 for a rebarrel to 35 whelen.

When I get it back I'll be able to tell you exactly what the dimensions on the marlin are.

Shilen, wanted the rifle so they could take measurements on it for rebarreling in the future.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.