Print Thread
Hop To
G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
After returning from a fishing trip last Friday, I discovered that I had left my knife, a Schrade Signature Stockman that has been my everyday carry knife for the past half dozen years, on the riverbank after cleaning my grandson's fish. The old knife was about due to be retired, but I sure hated the thought of losing it. Got up this morning and drove the 45 miles back to the river to search for my knife. A blood stain on a rock led me right to it, partially covered with fallen cottonwood leaves. So, after a 90 mile round trip, my old knife is cleaned up and destined for the retired box. And, I have a new story to tell.

GPA

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you found it, GPA. I don't blame you one bit for driving back to search for it.

My father gave me a Camillus Stockman for my 13th birthday... a loooonggg time ago. Other than a couple of airplane trips after 9/11/2001, it has always been in my pocket and is there today. That includes carrying it while in the Army, too.

I can't even begin to imagine the thousands of "cutting" chores for which I've used that pocketknife over the years.

If I left it somewhere, as in your case, I'd make the drive to find it, too. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not stupid at all. I would have done the same thing.

220 Swift still king.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did the same thing one time but i drove the 14 miles back and the knife was gone, hope it found a good home! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The going back doesn't puzzle me, but the retiring a knife does. Just why does one retire a knife?

IC B2

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Good question: My everyday pocket knife sees a LOT of use. I am never without it...use it every day for a variety of tasks. Consequently, after a bazillion sharpenings and multiple uses, blades get worn down...down to the point of difficult resharpening. When that happens...retirement should be considered. (Note: I use my pocket knife so much that 4-8 yrs. is about maximum use for me. Sure, I could regrind all blades on a power grinder, but retirement, with a new knife for me is far more preferable!) Is the knife totally worn out?...Is it useless? Certainly not, but if I consign it to the retirement box, along with a note about its history of service to me...it will one day be a neat acquisition for one of my grandkids...even if they never use it. And...I have an excuse for breaking in a new pocket knife.

Note: I have a couple of "worn out" knives that were my grandfather's. He retired them.....and they became treasures for me. If you use a pocket knife enough...it is going to wear out (or nearly so). So....retire a knife now and then. Let your heirs enjoy it.

Hope this explains things to your satisfaction

GPA

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm still looking for a Kershaw D.W.O. knife I lost at least 20 years ago! I know EXACTLY the location but still can't find it. Left it on top of a bucks chest after the gutting was done. Cleaned up my hands a bit and started dragging. It couldn't have been 5' before it fell off. Can't find it.

Good going on the return trip and the find.

G
GPA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Even after all those years....a metal detector might work!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If that Kershaw had blood on it, it's extremely possible an animal picked it up and ran off to hide and lick it like a dog with a bone.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,595
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.