Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just got back from our meat hunt in Northern BC. We had cow draws right near home (Quesnel) and were able to get my buddy's wife her first moose! No rack to nail to the wall, but a fun hunt all the same. as usual we were dragging the video camera along for the hunt...

http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/samcow08/samcow08.html

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rack, schmack- that's more moose than I'm eating this year. frown

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a very nice place to hunt. Good for her.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

BBB Offline
Good for her! Her shot definitely hit

Personally I prefer cow meat over bull. It is more tender, and flavorful in my mind anyway. Moose is right next to Rocky Mountain bighorn, and elk, when it comes to the best game meat. Deer, other than Alberta/Saskatchewan deer, is kind of gamey tasting to me.

PS Excellent video! One of the best.

Happiness is a warm gun-John Lennon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good video. But, what's with the second hunter shooting too?

Rolly
IC B2

B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
Good video. But, what's with the second hunter shooting too?

That's her husband. Since this was her first moose and they both had tags, he was determined to "back her up" and make sure the moose went down quickly. He was overly concerned with making sure this was a positive experience for her and not one where we spend two days searching for a wounded moose. As it turned out, Sam was more than capable of handling herself! The moose dropped so quick that his follow up shot was a clear miss. smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very cool!! Thanks for sharing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
good job James , was Al on this hunt ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
B
bcjames Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by redmtn
good job James , was Al on this hunt ?

Not this one.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting buddies all went elk hunting in Colorado two years ago. Their plotting a return. I personally want to moose hunt. I've at least seen moose in Maine and eaten moose at game dinners. I think it tastes better than the elk I've had. The guys laugh at me and wonder why I want to shoot a swamp donkey instead of seeing the Rockies and hearing elk bugling. I don't know, Up North is different scenery too. I like to see other people get theirs. They look like nice woods.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Taste has more to do with adaption...I was raised on Mule Deer our big West Texas desert ranch bording Mexico, and that was about all we ate until one day my dad walked in the house and told everyone that deer were now bringing $50 apiece from hunters..We sold our deer hunts and ate beef and lamb. My family still laughs at how long it took us boys to adapt to that greasy smelly beef!! smile smile I still prefer deer to elk, moose, but probably not desert Big horn, that is really a treat..Today I probably prefer beef and lamb to any meat, but deer is still a favorite, always will be...folks in Idaho are mostly elk eaters, but its surprising how many locals don't like wild game..I suppose Texans and Cajuns figure meats, meat smile smile

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I totally have to buy a video cammera for next year ... so cool

Last edited by killalot; 11/05/08.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Thanks for letting us watch.. Always fun to watch someone get a "first". BTW, what are your regs like for ATV's up there? Down here, we can't even retrieve game on them. Please don't take this as I'm implying you did something wrong...not the case at all. I'm simply curious as to what your regs allow. We have a huge problem here w/ people wanting to hunt exclusively from ATV's and ruining hunting opportunities for those of us w/ "legs". I wish we had a retrieval allowance, but more than likely it would be abused as well.

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Different regs in different zones. Some places its just that you have to get off of it to shoot, (classed the same as shooting from inside a vehicle), and some places have restrictions based on time of day to make sure people don't hunt from them, but can use them for retrieval. Some zones have elevation limits, as to how high you can take them....Stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by atkinson
Taste has more to do with adaption...I was raised on Mule Deer our big West Texas desert ranch bording Mexico, and that was about all we ate until one day my dad walked in the house and told everyone that deer were now bringing $50 apiece from hunters..We sold our deer hunts and ate beef and lamb. My family still laughs at how long it took us boys to adapt to that greasy smelly beef!! smile smile I still prefer deer to elk, moose, but probably not desert Big horn, that is really a treat..Today I probably prefer beef and lamb to any meat, but deer is still a favorite, always will be...folks in Idaho are mostly elk eaters, but its surprising how many locals don't like wild game..I suppose Texans and Cajuns figure meats, meat smile smile

When we moved into our new house (20 years ago now) my wife celebrated by buying a couple big T-bone beaf steaks. I trimmed all the exterior fat off that I reasonably could- mostly so as not to set the BBQ on fire- and cooked them up. During the meal, I looked over at the 6 year-old- Blake, and he was lip-curling a pea-sized piece of fat around on his plate, excavated from some muscle crevice that I had missed.

"What IS that?" he asked........

I have no dis against mostly any meat, properly killed, processed, cared for that I've eaten to date.

Exception: I've never eaten any seal or walrus that I cared for, no matter how prepared.

I rate wild sheep as #!. Good deer venison #2 - the stuff off Kodiak was great, and I was farm-raised (more or less) on corn-fed Dakota White-tails- also excellent), caribou, moose, mt. goat, pronghorn in no particular order behind those. Bison, bear, elk no particular order behind those except bear is last, with polar bear being the head of the list, and Griz last in the bear dept.. I've eaten cougar just once, so that's not a fair test, but I'd rate it up there with caribou or moose at this point.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,331
Posts18,526,672
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.