Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But still it kind of surprises me when somebody puts a quick-killing bullet in an animal's shoulder and then complains about meat loss.

I second that.

Third. smile
4th, but do understand the Gentleman sentiments I wouldn't want to tear an Elk up either after all the hard work one go through to harvest one. Accubonds are good bullets, but if that Barnes shoots right in mine I look no further...

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by castnblast
quote:
"The bloodshot area was massive, going back about halfway down the ribcage on the NEAR side. "

Sorry, i just don't believe that was actual "bloodshot" - which is defined as disrupted muscle tissue where the blood is IN the muscle, not just around it. It is perfectly normal for blood to run in-between the shoulder and ribs of any animals shot in that general area. The interstitial blood is not "bloodshot", it is just the natural path that blood takes between tissues. Blood flowing in-between the external muscles and ribs in the shoulder area will occur with bowshot as well as rifle shot game. That blood cleans up with some light knife work and paper towels. I have often seen, and I am not impressed with hunting buddies who throw away perfectly good meat because the SURFACE is covered with clots of jellied blood. Clean it up!
Just so you don't think I am another "armchair expert", I butcher ALL my own big game and that of family members, (well over 100 head to date) and I come from four generations of butchers. I have also studied veterinary anatomy. Belive me, blood running halfway down the ribcage is NORMAL with many shoulder shots.
I have very limited experience with the AB, but see no reason to condemn that bullet.
Well said!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 340boy
I am sticking with the Partition(or TSX)-no Accubonds for me.

Yup.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF you need any rec's on powder, I used IMR4320 in my 338/06 std, 2670 mv w/225s 23" bbl, put Speers, Noz, and Hornady all in same POI at 200 yds, and grouped all 1.25" w/6x42 duplex reticle. Used WW brass-'06. Nice round. What is your rifle built with...action/bbl/stock?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mudhen
Switch to a 200 grain AB and quit shooting them in the shoulders...

There are times when the shoulder is your best or only option. Use a bullet capable of doing the job when needed. The AB isn't it.

I must disagree completely. Coincidentally, the three critters I've whacked with AB's have all involved hiiting bone right at the start of the wound. In each case, the bullet performed beautifully.

I killed a HUGE cow elk day before yesterday... The 8mm 200-gb AB hit her elbow first as she moved across the hillside up above me at 270 yards. Then it hit a rib, took out the top of her heart, hit another rib and broke it, and poked a hole almost all the through the hide on the other side. The elk went DOWN!

I am thrilled with AB's!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jeff: See any big mule deer in SW Colorado?

Congrats on your cow elk! (I'll still take the Partition over the AB grin)

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/23/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good shot. What is your 8MM setup? Where was your faithful 358?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You should probably just use FMJs smile

Any expansive bullet(Yes, all copper included) will blood shot meat and make a mess when large bone is impacted. As another poster stated, even archery tackle gives blood shot meat. I killed two deer with archery this year and both had jellied blood under the hide. It simply scrapes off with a knife. Soak it in iced salt water if you really want to get rid of the blood.

Sounds like the Accubond did excellent on your elk. That's exactly the kind of performance I look for.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's not really blood shot meat, it's just coagulated blood.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Several things come to mind from the post and that is the Accubond did exactly what it was supposed to do. Apparantly it is a bullet that works best for broadside shots in the lung area.

For Elk in my 300 H&H I use the 200 gr. Nosler partition and its a very good elk bullet IMO...

If you want to kill them pronto, then get a bigger bore like a 338 or 375 and use 300 gr. bullets, they do very little meat damage, cut a big hole and they leave great blood trails and kill very quickly..your shooting hi velocity with the 300 Win Mag. and that just equates to bloodshot meat and your not going to get around it and still kill them effectively.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I shot a large bull in NM a couple weeks ago with a 200gr 8mm Accubond in my .325, it did what it was suppose to do.

Friend of mine shot a nice 5x5 with a 30-40 Krag using 180 Power Points and it worked just as well.

For what it is worth - I have recovered a lot of the AccuBond bullets shot at 200 yards into a soft sand bank, they open up and stay together very well.

Mark

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,066
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.