-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ugh! They ruined the stock by putting that HUGE wrist [pistol grip] on it. Way too thick!

Deus Juvat

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270Win: ??? aren't the stock dimensions on the new FWT the same as the Classic FWT? Mine appears to be the same, although I haven'e measured it. (I'll do that later today)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why ice cream comes in chocolate and vanilla. My comment would be that they got the pistol grip right by finally making it thick enough.

Guess that's what sandpaper is for? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never been a fan of the M70 Featherweight French Whorehouse Stock and think the gold encrusted factory "engraving" on the floorplate is a fitting end to the French Whorehouse theme.

And it's overpriced...

But that's just me laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 270winchester
Ugh! They ruined the stock by putting that HUGE wrist [pistol grip] on it. Way too thick!

Ok, I had a few minutes to compare. Laid my mid '90's FWT Classic, next to the new FWT. The stock appears to be exactly the same to me. I took a piece of string, measured the circumference of the pistol grips, and laid the string on a steel tape (not real precise) and both seemed to be the same. The only difference I could see is that the trigger on the new gun is a little farther forward in the trigger guard. Guess that would make the LOP slightly longer and perhaps make the pistol grip feel bigger?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just don't know which I want more the new FW in 30-06 or the 300WBY I currently own.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a few Featherweights over the years and I noticed the fat wrist immediately. This rifle was in Sportsmans Warehouse in Kennewick WA. It's a 30/06. Maybe it's just this rifle. It's the only one they had. I don't know. $799.99 is a little much me thinks. They own the rights, why did they "improve" the trigger?

Deus Juvat

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by avagadro
I just don't know which I want more the new FW in 30-06 or the 300WBY I currently own.

When did cartridge overlap ever become an issue? grin Silly.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For me it's not a question of "if" I'm going to get a new one, The question is "when" and whether it will be the Super Grade in 30-06, or the Stainless, Extreme Weather, with the Bell and Carlson stock in 30-06. Currently, I have a Classic Sporter w/BOSS in 270 that shoots and feels superb. I would never part with it.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by avagadro

When did cartridge overlap ever become an issue? grin Silly.....

gonna hafta sell sumptin to get a new shootin' iron

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a Model 70 Featherweight at Northwest Armory in Portland today. It was one of the 'special' or 'limited' editions. Seemed pretty nice. Decent stick of wood, seemed to be inletted into the stock pretty well, and the bolt opening and closing was so smooth it would make you cry. Wish my stainless M70 (or any of my 700s) were that smooth. I think they wanted just under $800 for it... seemed about $100 too high.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Here's a seasonal picture of a true Featherweight:

At 8 1/2 lbs it is no "featherweight" despite the label but she's a classic 57 model year that has taken a lot of critters for me over the years, even in.243 whistle
[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My pre-64 M70FW in .270 WIN weighs 8 3/4 lbs field weight (w/ sling, ammo, scope, etc.) so its is more akin to today's standard weight rifles, but it works for me.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As you say, compared to the other rifles of it's time (1955) it WAS a featherweight!

And IMO, the pre64 FWT's and the classics FWT's, and now the FN FWT's, may not be super light, compared to the rifles of today...but they are just right...not too heavy, not too light. At least that's the situation, IMO.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice pics Pugs and Odessa. There is just something special about those Pre-64 M70s.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a new M70 featherweight in 270 yesterday,,I will put a scope on it next week and head to the range,,,I will put in updates as to how it shoots.

Have Gun, Will Travel. The more dust on the trail, the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA & VFW & Six Napoleons
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went down and looked at them today. The 2 that I looked at (both F/W's) had above average walnut on them. The wood to metal fit was excellent on both the top and bottom. This is a point where most production rifles fall short these day's, even ones that cost much more. I really like wood stocked blued rifles and it was refreshing to find one that fit so well. The bluing was average and the floorplate engraving didn't impress or turn me off. Like always' the F/W style is a rifle you either like or you don't. While I don't gravitate to "American styled" rifles in general I have always' liked the F/W. IMO it just needs a nice little oval style cheek piece and exchange the Fleur dis lis checkering for a nice simple point pattern and you would have a rifle! wink

If I was in the market I would pay $799 for one and feel like I got a nice rifle for my money.

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I saw and handled the new model 70 today as well. Featherweight Deluxe chambered for 30-06. Very nice rifle. I hope they shoot as good as they look.

p.s. No BACO found on the rifle at all.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stopped in Gander Mt last night and took a look at the (only) one they had. The trigger tag was marked BACO along with the BBL. I thought it looked well put together, the wood was fairly nice, and I liked the recessed crown over the "rolled" I see on most rifles. The price was typical Gander MT, $900+. They ain`t selling any to this boy at that point.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Saw my very first new one earlier today. A local shop recently got two of the FW models in; one in 30-06 and one in 270. Not interested in having one in either caliber though. I still fondled one of them. Looked nice enough to me. Thought it felt kind of heavy for what it is. Barrel was nice and centered in the channel. Overall fit and finish looked good, too. The stock had a funky spot in the wood, which made me not want that particular one. It was some sort of small swirl; maybe from a knot or something. Cycled the bolt, and it all felt good. Price tag read $949. That's list price, I do believe. Can get it for 10% off right now, but even at that it still seems too high. Can have a new Browning X-Bolt for even cheaper. By the way, all you Browning haters don't know what you're talking about! There's nothing wrong with Browning. Hellava lot more Brownings out in the woods every year than many of the other, so-called "better" options that are supposedly out there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.