Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/remington-introduces-new-30-remington-ar-cartridge/

Full article and pics at link above....

Greg
-------------------------------------------------
Remington Introduces new 30 Remington AR Cartridge

Remington Arms just introduced a new cartridge, the 30 Remington AR (aka �30 RAR�), to be used in AR-platform rifles to be built by its DPMS subsidiary. (Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster are all owned by Cerberus Capital Management, a private holding company.) The cartridge carries the �short, fat� design to the extreme. It is based on a shortened version of the .450 Bushmaster, which itself was a cut-down version of the .284 Winchester. Like the .284 Win, the 30 Remington AR has a rebated rim, so it will fit a .308 Win-sized boltface (0.473″). While it resembles a 30BR, the new case is much fatter, offering an impressive 44 grains of powder capacity. The portly diameter of the 30 RAR case dictates that the magazine will be a single-stack, and will hold only four (4) rounds.

NRA/TSRA Life
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ballistics in the 30-30 range?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
44 grains of Powder should get pretty good ballistics. Too bad that 44 grains is total case capacity. With a bullet seated, its in the high 30 grain (37-39 grains) arena.

But it looks like a 125 grainer at 2800 FPS. The 308 spits that pill out at 3100 fps.

So it looks to be a 303 British equivalent.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 10/22/08.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Would be a pretty good Military cartridge, though.

Like the 7.62 x 39 on 'roids.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As most new cases start with a .308 hole in the front, ex. .308 TC and 300 RCM, this is no surprise. I would also not be surprised to see this case necked up and down to 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, .338 and maybe .35 with Remington headstamps. It holds a lot more powder than existing cases like the SPC, Grendel or Creedmore and only needs to fit one more in the mag to shoot High Power match rifle. It has interesting potential. The mag limitations are no problem for a hunting rifle and the choice of calibers may stimulate sales, which is what Remington is in business for.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting new round! That retard Zumbo sure did motivate his sponsor to pony-up in the AR game. I'm sure to the chagrin of a few posters!! cry

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Fast Ed is correct...it will shine as a 6mm variant...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Four round mag capacity!?!?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Four round mag capacity!?!?

As Fast Ed said, it's no handicap in a hunting rifle. My guess is that Remington is pushing hard to move the public perception of AR's in the direction of their being legitimate sport/hunting rifles and away from the liberal-stoked demonization of them as "assault-type-weapons."

Mathew 22: 37-39

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by cra1948
My guess is that Remington is pushing hard to move the public perception of AR's in the direction of their being legitimate sport/hunting rifles and away from the liberal-stoked demonization of them as "assault-type-weapons."

I hear ya and if they can do that without selling any, my hat's off to 'em!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess if they can't sell a hunting rifle without high capacity magazines, it wouldn't go over as a hunting rifle in the first place. Many states limit mag capacity in semi-auto hunting rifles. Most hunting rifles don't have more than a four or five round capacity anyway. There are a whole lot of semi-auto hunting rifles out there that have sold well over the years with a five-round capacity.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You're right.

But to me, a bolt-action just makes more sense in that case and if I really wanted a semi-auto with limited capacity, I'd opt for something like Browning BAR and skip the goofy looks you'd get from an AR-style gun. I just don't see many anti-gunners swaying their opinion because a certain variation only has a 4-5 round mag. IMO, they'd hate it if it were a single-shot, just because it LOOKS evil. If anything, it'd be proof-positive to them that there's no need for any rifle - of any configuration - to have over 4-5 rounds. I guess you have more faith in the anti-gunners than I do and I hope YOUR right....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's probably a moot point, because by the time Remington actually produces anything that it has hyped up for a year, most people have lost interest in it!!

NRA Benefactor Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't think their aim is to get the anti-gunners to accept AR's because they have a 4 or 5 round capacity. Heck, the anti-gunners won't like a semi-auto shotgun with a 3 shot capacity. I think they just want to sell this gun as a hunting rifle, which means mag capacity is a non-issue. I think the idea is to use this as a foot in the door to get wider acceptance in the hunting community. There are a lot of hunters out there who aren't necessarily shooters and who aren't necessarily in tune with the whole issue (look at Zumbo.) I don't think it's an overnight thing. Think about somebody showing up at deer camp with one and getting the "What are you doing hunting deer with an assault rifle?" business from somebody with the Zumbo mindset. "What do you mean an assault rifle? This thing only holds five rounds. What's the difference between this and your 760?" I can see it generating dialogue and growing acceptance among that portion of the hunting community who aren't the hard-core shooters/gun rights guys that we are. I think it's a good strategy, I hope it works. (Given the modular nature of AR's they're not going to be in the hole for a lot of unusable production if it doesn't.)

I
I
Cool round energy isnt that great though. And the price is rather expensive for ammo.Ill stick with the AR-10. Gotta love the 308 and its cheaper than the new 30.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be kind of nice to see them offer it a heavy barrel upper with a fast twist and a threaded muzzle...minus that silly azz camo.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,290
Posts18,525,712
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.