Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Students will get HIV tests

By Blythe Bernhard, David Hunn and Steve Giegerich
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
10/16/2008

Normandy � St. Louis County Health Department officials said Wednesday they will establish a testing center at Normandy High School after determining that "several" Normandy students may have been exposed to HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

A routine investigation into the source of the virus following a diagnosis last week led health officials to Normandy High.

On Monday, the district responded by sending Normandy's 1,300 students home with letters that advised parents of the risk.
RELATED LINK
bullet TALK: HIV testing in school should be a wake up call

County health officials said it is the first time in memory that a public health investigation led to a local high school.

"There is concern, but we really don't want to raise alarms here," said health department spokesman Craig LeFebvre. "This is not some major new outbreak or method of transmission, and there's no evidence to suggest it was deliberately being spread."

Not surprisingly, given the rumor mill that is high school, the announcement that the identities of the person or persons exposed to the virus would not be disclosed did little to stop speculation.

Since the letter was sent out Monday, "Everybody is looking at everyone saying, 'Is it you? Is it you?'" said parent Stephanie Harris. "Right now it's more of a scare than anything."

In remarks to approximately 60 parents and school officials attending an information session Wednesday night in the Normandy gymnasium, health department director Dolores J. Gunn cautioned that it is "still early in the investigation."

Joseph Mackofmore, a junior at Normandy, was one of several students who said he will be tested to determine if he is infected with the virus that causes AIDS.

"I know I don't have it, but I want to make sure, so I'll be tested," he said.

The health department will provide Mackofmore and his classmates with that opportunity by establishing a special testing site at the school later this month.

To guarantee discretion, Gunn said, the site will be staffed entirely by health officials.

Students can stop by for counseling, to obtain literature or test for HIV, she said.

Because every student will depart with literature, it will be impossible, she noted, for others to determine who has and has not been tested.

"Our job at the health department is to find as many people as possible who might have been exposed to HIV and get them tested as soon as possible," said Gunn.

LaCharles Harris, a 10th-grader, doesn't see many classmates balking at the opportunity.

The students he has spoken with, Harris said, believe taking the test is a "smart" decision.

He acknowledged that many Normandy students are sexually active.

"But most of them know to use condoms," said Harris.

From the fourth through the 12th grade, the Normandy school district offers the option of enrolling in "About Better Choices," a sex education class.

Even so, Gunn urged parents at Wednesday's information session to engage their children in honest discussions about at-risk behavior.

Parent Linda Harris said the district deserves credit for addressing the issue honestly and openly.

"It's good they targeted it," she said.

Normandy students fear, however, that transparency will come with a price.

"Every school has kids with HIV," said Mackofmore. "But now people are going to say, 'He goes to Normandy, he has AIDS.'"

Normandy Superintendent Stanton E. Lawrence said he was encouraged that, in the two days since word of a possible outbreak, classwork has continued as normally as possible given the circumstances.

About 5 percent of HIV cases in the St. Louis region are diagnosed as teenagers, according to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.

In an area encompassing St. Louis city and St. Louis, St. Charles, Lincoln, Jefferson, Warren and Franklin counties, there were 11 new cases of HIV in the 13-18 age group in 2007.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
LaCharles Harris, a 10th-grader, doesn't see many classmates balking at the opportunity.

The students he has spoken with, Harris said, believe taking the test is a "smart" decision.

He acknowledged that many Normandy students are sexually active.

"But most of them know to use condoms," said Harris.

From the fourth through the 12th grade, the Normandy school district offers the option of enrolling in "About Better Choices," a sex education class.

Even so, Gunn urged parents at Wednesday's information session to engage their children in honest discussions about at-risk behavior.

Oh let's see, the same azzholes who demanded that children be taught -- in publicly owned schools -- to be accepting of every lude and lascivious act known to man, are now seeing the light?

It's too late jackass, you now have barely teens with a death sentence. You won the debate, be sure and look one of the afflicted youngsters in the eye when you tell 'em that!

Jeff
G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did you send a copy of this to the Palin family?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're confused - it was Obama's mother that was the whore.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can think of a few other examples where abstinence was sorely needed by the parents of:

Rosie O'Donnel
Bill & Hillary
Keith Olberman
Most all politicians.......and the list goes on......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
i'm dissapointed, I really expected to seea picture of Obama, hahahaha

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Obama is a prime example for pulling out

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Les, that fisherman thingy is rather disturbing.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
yah mean ya don't like it? shocked

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I totally agree, BMT. Les take that thing off of here!

Sassy

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,402
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.