Print Thread
Hop To
B
bullpup Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I would like to put a front site on a Mauser 98 to be used in conjunction with a NECG peep site mounted to a weaver base. My question is what type of site would be the best to use. Do I need to worry about how high or low the front site is? Would a screw installed frot base be better than a band type that is sauldered on? Any and all help would be appreciated.
BP

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Height of the front must coinside with height of rear. You may have to change the front to allow proper POI. Screw on front may depend on barrel diameter; you must have enough diameter to allow the tapping of the holes plus a safety margin. Styles depend on your tastes and/or ability of installer. NECG makes barrel band type, Williams ( and others ) make sweat and screw on type ramps.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Last edited by like2shoot; 10/24/08.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An extremely high front sight ramp/blade combination is going to be needed, in order to zero the rifle with a NECG or XS peep mounted atop a Weaver base.

Start by measuring the distance from the firing pin C/L at the rear of the bolt (just about under the peep) to the middle of the adjustment range of the mounted peep.

Secondly, measure the barrel diameter about 1 1/2" back from the muzzle, and divide that figure by two.

The total height of the front ramp above the top of the barrel, with a sight blade mounted, should equal the measurement at the rear, less 1/2 the barrel diameter at the front (as measured above).

You could order a tall ramp with a correspondingly short sight blade, or a shorter height ramp with a taller sight blade - your choice, but I would suggest a taller ramp/lower sight combo.
With a peep that high, however, you just might need both a tall ramp and a tall sight blade.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
B
bullpup Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll get the peep site ordered and then go from there.
BP

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 14,672 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,151
Posts18,542,683
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.