Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey all,

I managed to lose my Kershaw sometime in between last hunting season and the one that's fast approaching, and so I'm looking for a new hunting knife. I came across a Grohmann Skinner - and in general I like what I see. The only thing that throws me off is the shape - I'm used to a drop point, and this is more of a saber shape. Steel is 420 HC, and the blade length is 4".

What I need to know is whether anyone here has used this knife for dressing out a deer sized animal, and if so, what they thought of it.

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I collect knives and have the complete product line of Grohmann Knives and I use what I collect...they have four models of a "Skinner" type upswept blade and they are all excellent...

1. Standard 4" - I prefer this one for a one-blade user
2. Large 5" -
3. Short 3�" -
4. Deep Woods Hunter 3�" - I haven't used this one on deer or moose as of yet but should work fine, all the others do!
and they also have a

5. Mini skinner 2�" with a drop point blade for caping...

Here is there web site
Grohmann Knives

Their original is on display in the Museum of Modern Art and is one of my favourite carry blades...Even Cold Steel made a copy of it called the Canadian Belt Knife, as did A. G. Russell and Bark River with variations on the theme...

Hope this helps and I know you won't be disappointed with any of their blades...

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the looks of this model, which looks like #5 on your list, it sure looks to be a handy little knife.

http://www.knivesorus.com/site/1495116/product/R104SF

I am tempted to try that model myself. Any idea on what they steel they use? I couldn't find any info other than "High-Carbon Stainless Steel".

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I really like the looks of this model, which looks like #5 on your list, it sure looks to be a handy little knife.

http://www.knivesorus.com/site/1495116/product/R104SF

I am tempted to try that model myself. Any idea on what they steel they use? I couldn't find any info other than "High-Carbon Stainless Steel".

Taken directly from the Grohmann Website, Materials heading :

Blade Materials

Grohmann takes pride in their products and that means using high quality materials. Grohmann's most popular steel in the outdoor fixed blade knives are fashioned from european high carbon stainless steels, such as 4110, which is somewhat comparable to the USA 440 series. This steel has stood the test of time due to its ease of sharpening and edge holding ability.

The carbon belt knives are made from a C70-type european carbon steel for the carbon-lovers out there. As any quality steel goes, stainless or carbon, all knives should be kept cleaned and oiled to prevent rusting, especially the carbon steel knives. When carbon knives leave the Grohmann factory, the blades are oiled with non-toxic mineral oil and wrapped in wax paper to preserve the blades. Keep in mind, carbon blades will corrode if not kept cleaned and oiled, this is the nature of the beast. Knives returned due to neglect will not be covered under warranty, but can usually be serviced and restored for a minimal fee (for more information, click on the Warranty section or Lifetime Limited Warranty sheet that arrived with your first quality knife purchase).

Other european steels somewhat comparable to AUS6 are used in the pocket and lock knives. Rockwell hardness 56-58 degrees is maintained throughout all of the Outdoor knives. The high carbon stainless steels used in the Kitchen Knives as well range throughout the different lines, providing a Good [poly & regular lines], Better [full tang rosewood and full tang xtra lines], and Best program [forged rosewood and forged xtra lines]. Rockwell 54-56 hardness is maintained across the Kitchen Knife lines.

Outdoor Blade Grinds
(Regular Classic Grind VS New Flat Grind)

Grohmann offers two blade grinds on most outdoor knives, our regular "sabre" grind, or the new flat grind option. Our regular classic grind makes for a thicker, stronger blade, and was designed ideally for hunting and skinning. The new flat grind option is a thinner, fully tapered grind from top to bottom of the blade and makes for a more lightweight general purpose camp knife: can be used for fishing, hunting and general camp duties. In the stainless models there is no price difference, simply add an "F" to the model number for flat grinding ie. #R1SF or leave the number as is for our regular classic grind ie #R1S. Regular "sabre" grinds on the carbon blades are regular list price ie #R1C; but any carbon steel flat grinds are done on a custom basis only by special request and are subject to a custom charge ie #R1CF. Shown below is the Regular Grind which is standard on all models (except the Mini Skinner) and the Flat Grind as marked.

I have them in wood & stag handles in regular grind and just the wood handles in flat grind...

Which do I like better? Classic, only because I'm used to it for over 40 years but the flat grind in, IMO an easier blade to maneuver in a carcass but the regular grind is better on skinning...

I just used the #105 Deepwoods Hunter finally on a nice big doe and it was a true joy to use and was still razor shard after doing my deer and helping my 13 yr old daughter with her buck...

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Grohmann flat ground camp knife and a regular ground boat knife, both have wood scales. Great knives. I just picked up a very nice flat ground German Weidmannsheil Canadian knife with stag scales. I also picked up a good Cold Steel Canadian knife with a rubber grip for $15 NIB. I'm giving it to my son as a match for his Cold Steel Master Hunter.

Last edited by croldfort; 12/02/08.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've mentioned this a few times on the board. Grohmann has a clearance link on their website for seconds. The short blade skinner is half price at $57. I bought six of them a couple years ago for gifts. All of them had little chips in the scales where the pins went through. You would not know they are seconds unless someone told you. I wound up paying $25 to the Canadian Post to send me the order. I thought that was a lot, but I ordered six. You might go in with a friend or do your Christmas shopping. If that's the way you want to go, it's better than paying $120 for one.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/clearance.html

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,682
Posts18,513,435
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.