Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This was written by my good friend and team member. Most fights I've been in have been on the ground in agricultual areas and the last thing we were worried about were pictures. Sorry no photos of POWs or dead zombies, I don't want to deal with that. Thought some of you may want to hear a war story and see a little bit.

Oregon ETT Fights in Lashkar Gar, by SFC Mark Browning

On October 14th the Afghanistan based Oregon National Guard combat advisor team and our Counter Narcotics Infantry Kandak (CNIK) received the order to report immediately to Lashkar Gah. The mission was to defend the city and drive out the Taliban who had massed and were threatening to take control.

Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand Provence, was receiving nightly rocket fire while daily violence increased. Afghan National Police (ANP) checkpoints and outposts were being over run with increasing regularity while local schools were destroyed. In response, the Afghan government knew it had to take immediate action to stabilize and secure the city.

On October 15th nine of us and our Afghan soldiers arrived in Lashkar Gah armed with MRAP Cougars, machine guns, grenade launchers and a strong desire to get some payback for the death of a beloved team member and two interpreters who were killed by an IED in late September. It would not take long before we got our opportunity.

Shortly after arriving, our team found ourselves spearheading the fight. On a clearance patrol our team intercepted a complex Taliban ambush intended to overrun an Afghan National Police (ANP) checkpoint. Machine gun and RPG fire initiated the attack and a three-hour fight followed. While dismounted ANA soldiers advanced on the Taliban strong holds, the Oregon mentors maneuvered our vehicles into tactical positions that would allow the heavy guns to cover the ANA and destroy the Taliban. The ANA attacked fearlessly pushing the Taliban back. Despite RPGs exploding overhead, and bullets ricocheting off the vehicles, gunners SFC Walker, SFC Hagen and MSG Glesmann placed pulverizing fire on the enemy killing at least twenty. In a final desperate attempt the Taliban managed to place mortar rounds among the vehicles causing no damage. The US guns quickly silenced them.

According to SFC Williams, �Our presence (US) encouraged the ANA and gave them confidence to push forward.�

�The ANA have come a long way and are looking like true soldiers. They give me hope for Afghanistan.� stated SFC Walker.

During the fight, CPT Dyer and MSG Glesmann provided immediate medical attention to wounded ANA and ANP. SFC Hagen later treated local civilians wounded by the Taliban.

In the words of CPT Dyer, �In the middle of the fight while treating a gunshot wound I looked over my right shoulder to witness our ANA unit conducting battle drills that Mark (Browning), Bruno (De Solenni) and I had taught them up at PB Attal. It was very rewarding and for the first time I began to see our efforts come full circle.�

As the four day mission continued into its second week, more US and ANA teams arrived and began to reinforce the area. Our Oregon mentor team continued to patrol our sector until we were interrupted by an IED strike. As the smoke and dirt cleared small arms fire broke out. I responded with the 50 cal machine gun, killing three and quickly ending the fight. Amazingly, all the crewmembers, MSG Glessman, SFC Williams and 1LT Tuck, walked away with minor injuries and were able to continue the fight. We are always prepared for an ambush following an IED strike. We try to get them before they can get us.

SFC Hagen and MSG Glesmann both lead dismounted patrols in the area resulting in two very productive arrests.

�It was important to immediately search the area. Prisoners can provide critical information that will help prevent future attacks.� According to MSG Glessman.

Ironically, our team was preparing to end its tour in Afghanistan and return home in barely more than a month. Team leader LTC Keith Ensley stated, �We thought our tour was done in Afghanistan and this mission came as a complete surprise. The men didn�t let up. The Oregon combat advisor team fought one last, hard battle beside our Afghan soldiers.�

This is what the battle looked like from my turret during slow time in the fight.
[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/20080705025.jpg[/img][/img]

A cloud burst from a RPG fire by our Afghan boys.
[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/20080705026.jpg[/img][/img]

I took this photo after the battle. In the distance is the police check point where we were first ambushed.
[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/20080705054.jpg[/img][/img]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing and Thank You for your service. Hopfully you will all be home safe soon. In the mean time, Great Job!!

3825 24336
Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Cretch, We all have our hearts set on making it home by Christmas.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That will be great for you and your family. My son is currently in Iraq and hoping to be home for Christmas also.

3825 24336
Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm happy for your family, enjoy the reunion and have a great Christmas with your son.
Here's a shot of some of the team NCOs. I'm the good looking short bald guy in the middle.

[img][IMG]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l198/Rogue280/20080705074.jpg[/img][/img]

Mike

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rogue-- Thank you.. Be safe --Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many Thanks to you and your comrades in arms Rogue for your service to the nation.

Stay safe and I hope everyone forward deployed gets to come home soon.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 10/29/08.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
MAY GOD BLESS AND RETURN SAFELY ALL OF THE BRAVE MILITARY PERSONNEL IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR BELOVED USA.MY FAMILY AND I THANK YOU.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rogue, how do you like those new vehicle, feel they are better than Brad's or that new fangled Striker? By the way, keep your azz in the grass, thats where it is safest. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They are decent rigs, definately more survivability than the humvees. We have had one death and seven purple hearts out of our team of 15. The new vehicles have saved lives of 5 of my team members but they didn't save the life of a great friend and two Afghan linguests. At least three of five other wounded would have died in humvees, maybe more. The RG31 is not very reliable engine wise, the cougar seems to have a better engine, but who really knows.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good to know that they are trying to take care of ya'll. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin"Good looking short bald guy" grin Funny, I looked all over and couldn't find him grin Vehicle always freaked me out. The bigger the vehicle the bigger the "BOOM" they tend to attract. Good job in that firefight Rogue. Sorry to hear about your Bro. Been there,done that. It sucks in the worst way. See us when ya hit stateside!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for you, and your Compadres service, Rogue.

Ya'll make it HOME SAFE, YA' HEAR.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mercy, I love reading stuff like this. I wish every dime of my federal income tax could be earmarked for our fighters ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rogue
Thanks Cretch, We all have our hearts set on making it home by Christmas.

Thank you and God Bless you.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Take care and stay safe.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it was not for the internet We the People would never hear these stories, we would be stuck with the slanted biased garbage spewed by the MSM

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm the good looking short bald guy in the middle.

[Linked Image]

Searching............................................... No Joy!

Only found a ugly short [bleep].

Stay safe and get your aze back home in one piece.

And THANKS!!!!!

Rogue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all for the kind words.

It's sad to say if we had any real air support the enemy casualty rate would have been much higher. This was a huge effort by the Afghans but unfortunatly they don't understand battle staffing/combined arms battle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,479
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.