Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From www.tide.com

Question
Do you make any laundry detergents that don't contain optical brighteners?

Answer
Optical brighteners are commonly used in laundry detergents to enhance fabric appearance and maintain whiteness or brightness. We understand there may be situations in which a detergent without these brightening agents is needed. The following detergents do NOT contain optical brighteners:

Bold Powder
Cheer Original Liquid
Cheer with Bounce Fresh Linen Scent Liquid
Cheer Free & Gentle Liquid (but not HE)
Cheer Dark Liquid
Cheer Powder (all versions)
Tide Free Liquid (except Tide HE Free)

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I ordered some bars of plain 'ol lye soap. See http://www.texassoap.com/ There's nothing in it but lye, lard, and water. No added smells and no UV brighteners. A neighbor once made lye soap, and I used it to wash clothes in my washing machine. Just throw a bar in with the dirty clothes and take it out before the rinse cycle starts.

From now on, I'll use it on my camo when it's really dirty. Plain 'ol dirty gets plain 'ol warm water. I'll continue to wash my underwear and regular clothes in Tide "Free."

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The plot continues on my weblog, Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries :

Blogger Dan of Atsko said...

Dear Shaman,
Thanks for the invitation.
So you're not seeing much glow on your camo. Maybe that's a good thing.
How about your blacklight. Is it a screw in bulb like a std 60 watt incandescent bulb? If so, it makes very little UV light and a lot of short blue light. It will light those psychodelic posters from the 70s , but only a small percentage of the 200 compounds used in cloth, paper, and laundry products.
If you have a dark purple fluorescent tube that is marked 350BLB or an LED from Atsko you may have a lot of good camo reguardless of the pattern.
I check back,
Dan of Atsko

Tue Sep 23, 01:38:00 PM 2008
Delete
Blogger shaman said...

Dan,

I've got the 60 watt incandescent bulb. I've had it for years over the laundry, because I read an article years ago. The detergent the wife uses glows like all get out, but not the hunting clothes. Never has.

None of my camo, old or new glows. What's up with that?

Could it be the way I wash the clothes?

Tue Sep 23, 07:10:00 PM 2008
Delete

Anonymous Dan at Atsko said...

Dear Shaman,
Nothing is conclusive because you are using an incondescent bulb.If nothing glows at all you may have "selected" clothing over the years that you were successful with. I would suggest that the reason why you were successful with these pieces may be that they don't glow. If you have any interest in evaluating your need for U-V-Killer or the effectiveness of it you will need to get a 350BLB flourescent light.
Sincerely, Dan

Tue Oct 28, 12:27:00 PM 2008
Delete
Blogger shaman said...

Dan, it just so happens that I've been hitting Hancock fabrics for 20 years, picking up swatches of this and that when their camo remnants go on sale. Some are name brand camo patterns , some are no-name stuff. I just found it handy to have camo fabric around for making blinds,etc. My collection goes back to Crumley's earliest Tre-Bark in 1986.

I tried everything. Not only the fabric, but all my clothes. I mean EVERYTHING, and could not get a glow. On the other hand, the white bed sheets glow, the laundry detergent glows. Some of my wife's clothes glow.

If you want to send me your 350BLB light, some UV Killer, and whatever else you want, I'll be happy to review it for my weblog, and I will also submit the review for publication in all the venues where I am currently being published.

I'm also perfectly happy to let this whole thing drop. You can color me an unrepentant skeptic-- live and let live. For my part, I just wrote a review of Dave Samuel and Roger Zaiglin's book, White tail Advantage and politely left out any comment on their glowing endorsements of your product line.(pun intended)

On the other hand, you can send me a day-glow UV-radioactive clown suit, and a big day-glo UV painted sign that says "DANGER: HUNTER" and I'll wear the suit and sit in my treestand under the sign all during season as long as you agree to publish all my kill photos in full page ads wherever you are currently advertising. Frankly, I do not think the clown suit or the sign will make much difference to my success as long as I can treat them with a little baking soda to get the stink off.

I'm not the Myth Busters. In fact, I am a practicing shaman; we live for myths and rituals. This all looks like a hunter doing some arcane cleansing ritual to get rid of the unseen evil spirits to me. I dig that. I would not want to see UV Killer go away anymore than I would like to hunt under a sky devoid of Orion.

Write soon. Write often.

Tue Oct 28, 02:35:00 PM 2008

Last edited by shaman; 10/28/08.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snow Seal is ok on choppers and boots, but Pecards is better.

[Linked Image]

Tip of the day: Remember how your mom used to tie a string between your mitts - it ran through your sleeves, so you wouldn't lose/drop them?
Yeah, still a good idea.

Have an A1 Day!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 13,355 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,272
Posts18,545,007
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.