Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BWalker apparently has an agenda, he never post any pictures top back up his incorrect claims.

How many guys you know take pictures of gut piles???

Again BWalker states facts that fly in the face of reality of anyone that careful observe the internal damage created by TSX bullets

I dunno, JB in post # 2541700 essential said the same thing I have said and has had the same observations.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/05/08.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For a microscopic particle to contribute to cavitation you have to accelerate that particle to a velocity well above what we know how to produce today. A particle neither visible nor palpable moving at even 10,000 FPS just doesn't have the ability to penetrate any distance at all.

The problem is, as any partition user can attest is the fact that all these particles are not microscopic in nature. The shrapnel generated when a copper and lead bullet expands does indeed make the intial wound cavity larger.
And I never mentioned a word about cavitation. That was you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If you are going to make claims that fly in face of reality, then you better take pictures. You still have no proof of your claims

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Minnesota DNR just did the best study to date of wound dynamics with hunting ammunition and it flat out states that most of the particles shed are indeed neither visible to the eye nor palpable. Where do you get this shrapnel nonsense? Shed jackets don't penetrate for [bleep]. That's why you find them in the beast. Whole tumbling bullets don't penetrate for [bleep] for god's sake.

Sometimes you can bludgeon a man with the truth and he'll still stumble off as if nothing happened.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on, Miles58

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58
That's a reasonable approach, but simpler might just be to look for an impact velocity of around 2000/2100 FPS. Barnes seems to think that below that TSX/TTSX don't open so well. If they don't open they won't cavitate and then you have problems. C & C bullets have minimum impact velocities for the same reason but they usually are not as easy to get.

Are you sure that the TTSX won't open up below 2000 fps? I know the TSX is said to have that boundary, but I hadn't heard anything about the TTSX...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have you ever seen the results of bullets tested in a media like The Bullet Test Tube? The shrapnel effect is very evident..

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have and athe test tube is wax not flesh blood and bone and I have also seen the results on game with a TSX and other Cup And Core bullets and the results are obvious to those willing to view them.

Again you miss the mark

I killed my last Elk with a 338 cal 300 SMK and that bullet fragmented and yet I would rate the internal damage to the lungs no greater (if as great) as that done by a 30 180 TSX. I have also taken a lot of game with Sierra Game Kings, Hornady Interlocks, Speer Hot Core and Grand Slam, and have seen game taken with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Nosler Partions and IMHO and EXPERIENCE the TSX is KING.

[Linked Image]

Do you need more wound channel pictures?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That's a reasonable approach, but simpler might just be to look for an impact velocity of around 2000/2100 FPS. Barnes seems to think that below that TSX/TTSX don't open so well. If they don't open they won't cavitate and then you have problems. C & C bullets have minimum impact velocities for the same reason but they usually are not as easy to get.

Are you sure that the TTSX won't open up below 2000 fps? I know the TSX is said to have that boundary, but I hadn't heard anything about the TTSX...

Some of the TTSX bullets do require 2000 FPS and some require less, such as the 225 338 cal TTSX requires I belive 1600 FPS

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another picture of the damage produced by a 180 grain 30 cal TSX

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

No I am not sure. Not in the least. But, it's the last figure I heard form Barnes. I would hazard a guess that TSXs will function reliably somewhere around that speed or a little lower. TTSXs may well go even lower, but until Barnes comes out with some sort of data and publishes test protocols to go with it I am not going to worry about it one way or the other.

I don't want to be hitting a big game animal with less speed no matter which bullet I use so it's really a poor argument on my part. I would still use it though because when you have to work at longer range and you may need a lighter construction bullet to open up it's about all you can go on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good call MILES58.

I use the TTSX because IMO it's the better of the 2 bullets. Why not use the bullet that opens easier, faster, and possibly wider? I practice religiously out to 655 yards, and I just may need the additional expansion benefits someday wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good call MILES58.

I use the TTSX because IMO it's the better of the 2 bullets. Why not use the bullet that opens easier, faster, and possibly wider? I practice religiously out to 655 yards, and I just may need the additional expansion benefits someday wink

There's some religious stuff going on do I have to shoot 600+ yards too. It's called praying for a way to make it 300 or less. Where I am a couple hundred is possible. 350 is about max, and then only under the most urgent circumstances. The guns and loads will do it. I could do it from one of my boxes which are almost bench quality. but... I just can't imagine what would make that necessary. We have beaucoup deer and I am over shooting one with big antlers unless it is some kind of unbelievable. I'd rather have good eating than a wall hanger, and one of the good eating kind will be along sooner or later for sure. Maybe if I got to the very last hour of the very last day of the season and still didn't have one in the freezer would I drag one down out at 300 or a little more, but that's about it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why not use the bullet that opens easier, faster, and possibly wider?

I agree hence I use Nosler AB or BT's, Sierra GK's or Hornady IL's for deer.....

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have shot a few animals with the TSX, you know when you hit them thats for sure I swear by them any fully copper bullets the TSX'S or the new nosler E TIPS may also be a good bullet maybe even better then the TSX I think the fully copper bullets have an advantage over the lead due to thier high weight retention sure you shoot a 185 grain bullet but when it hits it might only be 130 grains left after the bullet has completly fragmented into the meat your going to eat.I have never found a TSX bullet yet 1 moose completly broadside 75 yrds 1 4 point buck facing towards me went in below the neck like shoulder blade area droped him like a sack of potatoes no bullet recovery.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good call MILES58.

There's some religious stuff going on do I have to shoot 600+ yards too. It's called praying for a way to make it 300 or less. Where I am a couple hundred is possible. 350 is about max, and then only under the most urgent circumstances. The guns and loads will do it. I could do it from one of my boxes which are almost bench quality. but... I just can't imagine what would make that necessary. We have beaucoup deer and I am over shooting one with big antlers unless it is some kind of unbelievable. I'd rather have good eating than a wall hanger, and one of the good eating kind will be along sooner or later for sure. Maybe if I got to the very last hour of the very last day of the season and still didn't have one in the freezer would I drag one down out at 300 or a little more, but that's about it.

You need to come and hunt where I do, and you'll understand. smile

Sometimes there is NO way to close the gap much more than 400 yards.

Depending on the wind conditions, I can reliably hit milk jugs out to the ranges I practice at, first shot, so I figure I can also hit a deer/elk's vitals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Why not use the bullet that opens easier, faster, and possibly wider?

I agree hence I use Nosler AB or BT's, Sierra GK's or Hornady IL's for deer.....

But I ALSO want to use the bullet design that penetrates the deepest in case I need to shoot stem-to-stern, which, on occasion, I need to do. TTSX for me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For me, shooting something in the azz isnt a option.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

You need to come and hunt where I do, and you'll understand. smile

Sometimes there is NO way to close the gap much more than 400 yards.

Depending on the wind conditions, I can reliably hit milk jugs out to the ranges I practice at, first shot, so I figure I can also hit a deer/elk's vitals.

Yeah, I suppose you're like up northwest of me. Go up to Thief River Falls and climb up on the salt-sand pile and you can see Winnipeg. Hell, look across Saskatchewan and you can probably see Alberta too!

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.