Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LawMan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am just starting to load this cartridge and have run into a small issue. I am preparing to trim the cases to length (forrester trimmer) and I find that the pilot will not go all the way through the neck on about 3/4 of the rounds I am trying to trim. It appears that there is a ridge of brass at the base of the neck from the forming process (factory loaded, once fired brass). I have never had this issue with a factory round before--am I right in presuming that the brass should be inside reamed before it is reloaded?

Anyone else had any issues with this case?

Thanks, LawMan.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LawMan: I have been reloading for the 17 Remington Fireball since March of this year.
I have not had to trim my cases as yet.
I would NOT run into the situation you describe though as I use the wonderful L.E. Wilson case trimming tool and it does not use a "pilot" for the trimmer.
Apparently you are trimming once fired cases then?
I don't do that anymore.
Maybe I am lazy?
I wait til the cases NEED trimming before I trim.
But, I am getting VERY good accuracy with my 17 Remington Fireball with my handloads without the initial/early case trimming that you are doing.
Having said that I am puzzled that your pilot won't "go all the way through the neck" - are you full length resizing the cases before you are trimming them?
I would think that if the expander ball of your resizing die is "going all the way through the neck" then the pilot of your trimmer should ALSO go all the way through the neck?
I don't know what your problem could be - to tell the truth.
I am reloading both prviously fired factory cases (from factory ammunition) and from the now available new unfired factory brass.
Best of luck with solving this situation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 26 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,599
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.