Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
For me, shooting something in the azz isnt a option.

It is when an animal is hard-hit and heading for the thick stuff...

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How about this one from the latest Barnes newsletter.

Think Barnes TSXs, Tipped TSXs and MRXs are too tough to expand and perform on thin-skinned game such as whitetail deer and antelope? This is a photo of a 30 caliber 168-grain TSX expanding at 2,000 fps in a 1-inch thick slice of Hide-Gelatin. When fired from a .300 Winchester Magnum at 3,150 fps, this would simulate a 600-yard shot. This is just one photo taken during a series of extensive tests where Barnes Bullets came out ahead of the competition. The other bullets penciled right on through 1-inch thick slices of bare gel. The full report to follow soon under the website�s Technical Section. Stay tuned�

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

It is when an animal is hard-hit and heading for the thick stuff...

Exactly, and moments such as this require a bullet that offers uncompromising penetration -- you know, like the TSX.......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Exactly, and moments such as this require a bullet that offers uncompromising penetration -- you know, like the TSX.......

I actually had something like this happen once. I shoot a Brooks range Dall Sheep just a hair to fair back( but in front of diaphragm) with a 7mm Weatherby. The animal quickly turned and strarted to do the 100 yard dash. Not knowing how good I hit it the first time I pumped another bullet into it and it dropped like a stone. This was courtesy of a 139gr Hornady factory load.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/06/08.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Why not use the bullet that opens easier, faster, and possibly wider?

I agree hence I use Nosler AB or BT's, Sierra GK's or Hornady IL's for deer.....

The TSX opens considerable faster than any of the bullets that you have listed

The holes left in this thin sheet of aluminum shows the amount of expansion after the bullets passed through 1" of ballistic Gelatin

[Linked Image]

More of your incorrect and unvalidated info

[Linked Image]

According to you the TSX causes little trauma, but this picture says other wise

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 11/06/08.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I actually had something like this happen once. I shoot a Brooks range Dall Sheep just a hair to fair back( but in front of diaphragm) with a 7mm Weatherby. The animal quickly turned and strarted to do the 100 yard dash. not knowing how good I hit it the first time I pumped another bullet into it and it dropped like a stone. This was courtesy of a 139gr Hornady factory load.

A TSX would have done the job with the first shot. You gave a perfect example of inadequate penetration with the first shot, a common failing of cup and core bullets

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It's a very deadly shot with a TSX and the bullet will exit lenght wise put the animal down instantly IME.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From looking at the high speed photos, it appears there is a sort of shock wave surrounding the bullet.

The wound channel appears to be much larger than the bullet, so it sounds logical, to me at least, that there is a shock wave or wave of some type making a much larger wound channel than the bullet alone.

Also, when the bullet exits, there appears to be a vacuum or something created that is pulling soft tissue or blood out of the animal. I have shot deer, broad sided, and there would be a stream of blood and tissue at least 15 feet long from where the bullet exited, in appearence like it was squirted from a water hose. This usually happened when a bone, such as a rib was struck, and there was a large exit hole.

I suppose the 3 or 4 inch diameter wound channel could be caused by the hydrolic pressure of the soft tissue and blood expanding to cause the larger wound channel.

When a bullet hits a liquid filled container, there is pressure built up from the compression of the liquid.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A TSX would have done the job with the first shot. You gave a perfect example of inadequate penetration with the first shot, a common failing of cup and core bullets

Your making the ASSumption the first bullet didnt exit. It did...

Marketing gags aside. The bullets I listed will have a a larger wound channel that has less length.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BTW I might remind you that I am not the only one that has observed results different from yours when it comes to TSX's.
JB, in this thread posted the following quote, which jives pretty well with what I said and what I have seen.
Taking the blinders of brand loyalty off would do one good IMO.
Actually what I have suggested is that the size of the hole created by any bullet is the major criteria of "killing power." This is the consensus of so-called forensic ballisticians, and from what I have seen it's true.

This doesn't mean, however, that there will always be a direct correlation between the size of the hole in the vitals and how quickly an animal goes down. But on average it works that way.

TSX's create longer but narrower holes than many other bullets. This is simple physics. Bullets that expand quickly and lose some weight make bigger holes, and on broadside shots these bigger holes are in the vitals.

The two ways to make TSX's create bigger holes are more velocity or bigger diameter. Of course we can combine the two as well, but in general most of us do not like to shoot 250-grain bullets at 3300 fps. Yet I have still seen animals hit with really fast TSX's and pretty fat TSX's go a ways. This is just the nature of super deep-penetrating bullets.

The latest was a buck pronghorn I shot two days ago at around 250 yards with a .257 Weatherby, the bullet the 100 TSX started at over 3500 fps. The bullet went through both lungs, about halfway up the body, but the buck went 150 yards before keeling over. The damage was certainly sufficient to kill surely, but....

And I will be, with any luck shooting a buck with a 140 AB fired from a 280 rem on November 15. I also have a doe tag that I plan on filling with my 25-06AI and 100gr TSX a few days latter. I will take detailed gut and exit pictures just for you....
Granted Its not exactly a fair comparison given the 25-06 AI has a muzzle velocity of 3400+ and the AB shoots about 2900 our so out of this particular gun, but I suspect it will prove my point quite well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One other thing those ballistic gelatin photos are only showing the temporary wound cavity. Little dirt ball marketing 101.

You might want to also check this out. Partition and AB are looking pretty good.
hhttp://www.guns and hunting.com/bulletshootout.html
Miles, is that some of this invisible lead particles I see in the test media??

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 13579
From looking at the high speed photos, it appears there is a sort of shock wave surrounding the bullet.

It's called cavitation and virtually all bullets do it. The size of the cavitation is dependent upon velocity primarily and non-laminar flow around the nose of the bullet begins it.

The wound channel appears to be much larger than the bullet, so it sounds logical, to me at least, that there is a shock wave or wave of some type making a much larger wound channel than the bullet alone.

Also, when the bullet exits, there appears to be a vacuum or something created that is pulling soft tissue or blood out of the animal. I have shot deer, broad sided, and there would be a stream of blood and tissue at least 15 feet long from where the bullet exited, in appearence like it was squirted from a water hose. This usually happened when a bone, such as a rib was struck, and there was a large exit hole.

The ejecta follows the bullet and the size/shape of the "red fan" is dependent upon the exit hole dynaics and velocity. Bone fragments can make it bigger.

I suppose the 3 or 4 inch diameter wound channel could be caused by the hydrolic pressure of the soft tissue and blood expanding to cause the larger wound channel.

When a bullet hits a liquid filled container, there is pressure built up from the compression of the liquid.

Blood will compress very very little. Ditto water. The "hole" is cause by the evacuation of material. A high speed bullet hitting a liquid filled container can be quite spectacular. Under the right circumstances you can nearly vaporize a whole gallon of water almost instantly. Because the water cannot compress and it has to absorb the energy when the bullet hit it will in large part change states from liquid water to water vapor. The energy transfer results in a lot of heat.

There is some degree of hydraulic shock associated with such an event, but describing it is better done mathematically. The cavitation is what you see in the gelatin block test and it is responsible for much of the tissue damage.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Miles, is that some of this invisible lead particles I see in the test media??

Those are substantial clusters of the self same particles. The physics of the event will be that a lot of the energy release is in the form of heat which causes the phenomena. This is precisely why MNDNR advises trimming instead of washing. You spread that contamination by washing and you cannot feel the particles because they are so small. The MNDNR test did produce visible and palpable particles, bu they were mostly copper. Copper from the jackets of bullets that came apart and copper from a few petals that broke off the Barnes bullets they used. The test results did not mention palpable or visible lead particles but I would assume some of the bone tests that caused complete jacket/core separation did result on some larger pieces.

Ballistic gelatin has a characteristic dirty look when hit by lead bullets Pockets of the very small particles do occur and look like pieces due to the clear and plastic nature of the gelatin. In meat this looks like a black blood clot. If you look at the blocks from the copper bullets they don't show that do they?

If you will look at the wound channel of the TSX and please tell me which of the other bullets has a larger diameter wound channel, and which demonstrates more total tissue destruction.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Because the water cannot compress and it has to absorb the energy when the bullet hit it will in large part change states from liquid water to water vapor. The energy transfer results in a lot of heat.

I'm not getting into the TSX argument since I've shot no game with them. But I think you have some physics problems here.

I can't get too involved right now, but if I got the right conversion numbers off the 'net it's going to take about 3100 foot pounds to raise one liter of water one degree Celsius. A typical projectile isn't going to have the juice to boil off a jug of water. But it will have what it takes to mechanically smack it into a fine mist.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont have to look at anything because the figures are all there.
Look at the cavity volumes. The TSX was second behind the Failsafe for smallest cavity.
And have seen like tests that all say the same thing.
As for particles. When I mentioned shrapnel effect and was jumped on by yourself I was not discriminating between lead and copper. With a lead and copper bullet particles are generated during the initial phases of expansion and this does effect wounding. That was my point, pure and simple.
Also, its for this reason that the Nosler partition is so effective. The front part of the bullet essentially disintegrates and the back half is left to penetrate on with a greatly reduced frontal area and resulting resistance. Massive wound channel and penetration in one bullet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Warm water cold dry air and a big thump.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I dont have to look at anything because the figures are all there.

No, you don't, but then you won't learn that the Nosler BT and the Nosler FS had the smallest diameter wound channels and the Partition and the TSX had the biggest.

Look at the cavity volumes. The TSX was second behind the Failsafe for smallest cavity.

Wrong. Both diameter and volume are larger than the BT. or can't you read a ruler?

And have seen like tests that all say the same thing.
As for particles. When I mentioned shrapnel effect and was jumped on by yourself I was not discriminating between lead and copper. With a lead and copper bullet particles are generated during the initial phases of expansion and this does effect wounding. That was my point, pure and simple.

Show me in those photos the first evidence of shrapnel effect. Show me. The lead is collected within the cavitation channel Where are the secondary channels from the shrapnel?

Also, its for this reason that the Nosler partition is so effective. The front part of the bullet essentially disintegrates and the back half is left to penetrate on with a greatly reduced frontal area and resulting resistance. Massive wound channel and penetration in one bullet.

Do a calc of the wound channel volume using your best estimate of the diameter and length using the rulers in the photos and come tell me about it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have you seen the data thats accompanies the pictures?
Again, I do not need to or put much stock in measuring pictures because the wound channels have already, in reality been measured for volume. Taking a measurement from a picture posted on the internet less than accurate for a variety of reasons and you should know this. Instead I will trust the author measured them correctly.
And as I have said before there have been several of these tests in the last few years the and the results are exactly the same.
You guys really amaze with the lengths you will go to distort reality. Ignoring data tables in favor of trying to measure pictures is a prime example.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have looked at the data. Have you??? Do you seriously want to discuss that the data is correct much less means anything? Some of what this guy is making up here (like penetration potential) or for that matter cavity volume without specifying measurement methodology, or his statemnt about just by changing bullets you can change velocity when in fact the short barrel extreme spread is only 58 FPS and his long barrel ES is only 130 (both of which are not all that uncommon for a single bullet with a single charge weight) is just not relevant at all to the project and makes a person wonder what the bleep he is thinking.

Believe what you want. Don't believe what you want. You obviously do not understand what you think you are doing. I have given you accurate information. Your photos show a different story than what you tell. You live in a world not based on observable facts and choose to believe things that are not true.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 980 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.