C
Randy Rhoads

one of the best metal guitarists ever

25 yrs old is way to young to die !!

RIP Randy 1956 - 1982

Randy Rhoads - 3 best guitar solos

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just checked in. Has anyone mentioned Albert Lee, James Burton, Steve Cropper?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Danny Gatton

Danny was one of the very best.Too bad we lost him way too soon.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Many of those mentioned so far are excellent players and would apear on my list. Two more that come to mind are Robben Ford and Merle Travis.

Allen

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dedseven
Robben Ford

Robben is an absolute master of the guitar.He can play every genre,with ease.

For his very best playing,pick up "Discovering The Blues" and "Sunrise".These are both live albums recorded when Robben was about 19 years old.This was back when his main axe was a Gibson Super 400 jazz box pluged into a medium sized Fender amp.He's never been able to get that kind of tone since he ditched that setup,although he still sounds superb.

WB.

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 11/07/08.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree with you about Robben's skill with a guitar. I have seen him live three times and was amazed each time. Didn't quit grinning for a couple of days! I have "Discovering the Blues" along with most of his more recent work but I do not have "Sunrise" (yet). Thanks for the tip.

Allen

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Another great player just came to mind. Sonny Landreth. Excellent live show!

Allen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After 100+ replies, I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned Pete Townsend as a favorite.

Here's a good song for the aftermath of the political season: Won't Get Fooled Again, on youtube.

You may recall that he bashed Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock!

--Bob

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dedseven
Another great player just came to mind. Sonny Landreth. Excellent live show!

ded7 .... awesome call

I can't believe I forgot about Sonny.

He lives 10 minutes from my house and I try to see his local shows when he comes back in town from touring

awesome slide guitar !!

Sonny Landreth and Mark Knopfler - JAM !!

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's funny you guys bring up The Nuge. He was on a hunting trip in Montana 3 or 4 Septembers back. I ran into him in a real hippie bar in Whitefish. It was on a Tuesday night, that I remember clearly. All the hippies were saying [bleep] like "Man, just look at him sitting there, all proud of himself because he likes to kill animals" and "He's just part of the Coorporate Machine..." I looked over to see who the hell they were talking about (he had a group around him that were buddies he brought with him) So I walked over and introduced myself and had a few with his buddies (I don't think he was drinking, unless it was a Coke or something) I told him right to his face that his music never did anything for me, but I thought he had a huge pair of balls for his un-popular (for an entertainer) opinions. He thought that was cool. Very interesting 3 beer conversation. I told him he should run for President some day. You know if Nuge was president, you wouldn't have to worry about your hunting and gun rights... In real life he's a very grounded "for real" person. Not uppity, arrogant, or snobbish at all. More than I can say for the rest of the celeb types that blow through Whitefish... Wish I was bartending the day that Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen got 86'd out of Casey's... At 9 AM!!!

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BB KING

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dick Dale.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guitarist I used to love when I could still hear, Alvin Lee (Ten Years After "Going Back to Birmingham") Always gave one of the best concerts imaginable. Same for Little Feat. Wow. Saw one of the last shows they did while all members were still alive. Best live 1 song performance I ever saw was Humble Pie doing "I Don't Need No Doctor" close enough at an outdoor show in Birmingham to get sweat slung on you.

And the best Rock N Roll song ever I'll say is between Derrick and the Dominos "Layla" and the Allman Borthers Band "Whipping Post" (or maybe "One Way Out")

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAj5LiXG5w

Here's a young kid from France that tears it up. Remember his name (Matt Rach), I think he's going to be very big someday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Like all things, taste is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder... Leo Kottke is a virtuoso, no doubt. But his music has never done much for me...

Try Adrian Legg.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a great thread. I saw SRV in KC outside at the Starlight. I eased up front as people moved from their seats to use restrooms. I got to the third row. His hands were larger than Dr. J's. Clapton is king. Check out "The Last Waltz" (The Band's last show 1976) in CD or cheap DVD from Amazon. Clapton, Howlin Wolf, Dylan, Neil Young, ect,ect,ect....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SakoSteve270wsm
Stranglehold was GREAT guitar work...I was fortunate enough to see him perform at CalJam II at Ontario Motor Speedway back in 77 ??? Another goodie from the past... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oowuyzxgmtg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a long-time guitar player (since the late 70's) I have many "favorite" players...

However, I'll put Hendrix right at the top of the list for combining technical brilliance, feel, and sheer mindblowing pyrotechnics. What a stud. I don't know what I'd give to be able to live in his head/body for a day, back IN the day, but it'd be a lot.

As far as RECENT players, the guy from Radiohead is SICK. All of you classic-rock lovers should run, don't walk, to iTunes or whereever and buy the album "OK Computer". It's the "Dark Side of the Moon" of this last decade or so; just a huge, gorgeous album. In addition to some very cool songs, I promise you will hear some guitar sounds and tones and playing that will open your head up in ways you can't imagine.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake
Randy Rhoads

one of the best metal guitarists ever

25 yrs old is way to young to die !!

RIP Randy 1956 - 1982

Randy Rhoads - 3 best guitar solos

I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy (of course) in 1982 in Albuquerque right before he died. His command of the instrument LIVE (which is a whole other thing than in the studio) was incredible. Ozzy was pathetic, couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag... and didn't bite the head off any bats or small children... but Randy was amazing...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Leon Kotke,...hands down,

GTC

Like all things, taste is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder... Leo Kottke is a virtuoso, no doubt. But his music has never done much for me...

I always felt the same way about John McLaughlin. Maybe I'm just not 'smart' enough to understand what he's doing.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,395
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.