Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ALl,
One of my best buddies and I (both originally from Wisconsin) have been talking about a destination hunt. We both have wanted to go on a Caribou hunt for a long time, but don't really know where to start. We would be interested in either a combo bow and rifle hunt or rifle only.

Does anyone have any advice that they could share such as a great outfitter, area, season, tips, etc.? Any advice would be well received. Thank you all in advance.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have backpacked through this outfitters area and seen quite a few caribou , beautiful country and lots of game.

http://www.collingwoodbros.com/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunted in Quebec in 2003 with Jack Hume Adventures. I highly recommend them.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We hunted in 2007 with Ungava Adventures. With exception of taxadermy, I would highly recommend. They were a little higher than the others, but worked hard and had wonderful accomodations. When we were there, a problem with teh natives arose at one of the eastern destinations and it caused quite a stir. We flew into Kuujuak and had no issues. I have not heard anything since. I know there was a problem with this year's migration and they all stayed north and west late. You may want to book late in the year and make sure teh cancelation policy is in your favor.

If you'd like more details, please shoot me a PM and I can tell you more.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Two friends and hunted with Jack Hume in 2007. I can not say enough good things about their operation. It was my first such trip and I learned a lot. If I am able to go again I will be with them. If you want more details PM me and I'll tell you all I know. You cant go wrong with Jack Hume Adventures.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Safari Nordik and Mirage ... dont let them book you at the beginning of the hunt mid augut but take mid september to october "better" weather and more 'bous moving ...

one tip as a guide bring with you rubber boot and real rain gear (helly hansen) goretex is good but not up there ...

see you

M
M
What do you want? Mountain caribou, barren ground, central barren ground, Quebec/Labrador...........

I have hunted and guided for all of them. PM me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Makwa said, depending on what type of Caribou you're looking for, I highly recommend the outfit that I've guided for, Arctic Safaris, out of the NWT. The country up there is simply breath-taking. The hunting is great, success rate is nearly perfect, food is amazing, and everyone works hard to make the hunters happy. I would definitely go early to mid-season, right around the beginning of September.

M
M
Jordan....you have guided for Barry.

It is great country up there is it not?

Last edited by Makwa; 11/06/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes sir, I have indeed.

It certainly IS beautiful country. Which outfits have you guided for?

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went in Sept. of 2007 w/ Courageous Lake Caribou Camps in the NWT. Here's a pic of my bull:

[Linked Image]

M
M
Jordan I guided for True North on Mackay Lake, will be again this year and going hunting there as well. But I have also guided in the Yukon for barren ground and mountain caribou and in the Mackenzies for mountain caribou and in BC for years and years for mountain caribou, etc.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NIce bull and thanks for the outfitter name.
Did you have the possability of two bulls?
Would you have been able to shoot one with a bow and one with a rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes - you can take 2 bulls. I also had a wolf tag, wolverine tag, and a fishing license. The hunt was awesome!!

You can use whatever you want - bow or gun. I used a rifle, but some guys in camp used a bow on their first bull, then a rifle on their second. Everyone tagged out!!

Google Courageous Lake Caribou Camps to get all the needed info.

Take care,

Jeff

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/10/08.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jeff. That is a big help.
I like the idea of taking one with both weapons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with your search & hunt!!!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The only experience I can speak of is in Newfoundland with Moose Valley Outfitters. My brother and two pards went and we all had a blast.

My brother and friend tagged on day 1 while my other pard tagged on day 3. I hunted hard all week and had a blast, but didn't punch a tag. That being said, I wouldn't trade that trip for anything and I have every intention of going back soon.

The only change I'll make is to have a moose tag as well.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have hunted with Safari Nordik twice (2003 and 2006) and highly recommend them. This year, however, I and 167 other hunters were shafted out of $5,000.00 by Tuttulik Outfitters. They too were highly recommended.

This wasn't the first time this has happened with a Quebec outfitter. It will be a long time before this all plays out but I doubt if I see any of that money again. It seems like a Quebec outfitter can do this and get away with it, and good luck with their legal system.

M
M
Quebec has some great outfitters and some real problems too...make sure you know what you are dealing with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.