Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
juliang Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Ok, I have quite a few Nikkon scopes, a few Leupold and one Bushnell 6500. Last Friday I was hunting in the rain and my Nikkon was useless. I know that my Bushnell rangefinder and 6500 work fine in rain and cold. Breath on your scope when it's cold, nightmare, but the 6500 has passed that test too.
I am therefore going to buy another Bushnell Elite in 3/9*40. I have never owned a 4200 or 3200. The 3200 sells for $165 and the 4200 for $255....... is it worth paying an extra $90 for the 4200, a big % difference in price? I wish I could stimulate the economy and get another 6500 but..... money is a large factor.

GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Well, let me suggest this, why not stimulate the US economy and buy a Leupold? It's a fact that Bushnell does NOT stand behind their products and I'm sure that anything that Bushnell sells is NOT made in the US.
It's WAY past time that people in this Country started to think about supporting the manufacturing segment of this Country! The job you save may be your own, ultimately!

Thank you, have a nice day.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by juliang
... The 3200 sells for $165 and the 4200 for $255....... is it worth paying an extra $90 for the 4200, a big % difference in price? ...

Yes! The 4200 offers more for the money than just about any scope out there. It will go toe-to-toe with scopes in the $400 - $450 range.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 on the 4200

I have owned many Bushnell scopes through the years and have never had a problem with one, but I have avoided the low-end items.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
juliang,

Last Friday I was hunting in the rain and my Nikkon was useless.

Had the same experience with my beloved 3-15X Sightron. That's part of the reason I purchased a 4 1/2-30X Bushnell 6500.

To me, the extra money for the 4200 is worth it. To answer someone's challenge about the Bushnell service, the only trouble I had with a lower end Bushnell happened when my buddy fell while using my rilfe. They repaired it. The repair and freight from them was $13. Good enough for this value shopper.

I just remember, but it doesn't really count, that I broke a couple 2-6X handgun scopes (which were repaired or replaced promply) on my .454. IT broke about a dozen scopes from several manufacturers, though. The first Leupold broke and the second one has better glass and has held up for years.

As far as saving your job by buying American....
When I bought my American made Freedom Arms .454 and American made Burris scope and my American made T'SOB rings and mounts, I was so pleased. One day while talking to J.D., I mentioned this to him. He said, "O, the rings aren't made in America. I get them cheaper from Tiwan."

I bet all the parts for the Leupold don't come from America. Just like the gas we use in our cars.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bushnell makes very good optics for the money, and their customer service in my experience has been out of this world.

I bought an elite 3200 when the first came out. They had a 1 year no questions asked return policy (along with a lifetime warranty) They way the return policy was supposed to work was as follows. If at anytime during the first year of purchase with the scope if you are unsatisfied for any reason what so ever, call bushnell up and they would refund 100% of your purchase price, tax and all. The only stipulation was that you hang on to your receipt from purchase so the refund would be correct.

I decided to try it out. I waited until month 11 and call them up. Talked to their Customer service and told them I wanted my money back. No problem they said, do you have your receipt? I told them I did and was asked to send it along with the scope in. Within 10 days of mailing the scope back I had 100% of my purchase price in the form of a check made out to me at my door.

No questions asked at all, and they were super nice on the phone and quick to get my money to me. I was completely pleased with the scope, just wanted to try out their claim.

I went out and bought the same scope again, this time for about 15 bucks cheaper due to a sale I found.

I would recomend Bushnell products to anyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy the 4200. It's well worth the extra...............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
J
juliang Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the replies guys, 4200 it will be. Although I myself am not American, I try to buy American products. However, in this instance, Bushnell are the only ones to my knowledge that have the rain guard. My 6500 and Bushnell rangefinder have proved to me that it works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by XLTFX4
Well, let me suggest this, why not stimulate the US economy and buy a Leupold? It's a fact that Bushnell does NOT stand behind their products and I'm sure that anything that Bushnell sells is NOT made in the US.
It's WAY past time that people in this Country started to think about supporting the manufacturing segment of this Country! The job you save may be your own, ultimately!

I always get a good chuckle out of folks pounding out this opinion on a computer chock full of Chinese parts.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
not ALL leupolds are made here anymore.

the 4200 is the best bang for the buck. it takes a conquest to bring optical advantage. the 4200 is every bit as clear as any of my leupolds.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I always get a good chuckle out of folks pounding out this opinion on a computer chock full of Chinese parts. [/quote]

Now thats a good one & I like it....I have used Bushnell's C/S once or twice on the 3200-4200 scopes....never even paid the $10 return shipping....the 4200 3-9 is the best value in a 3-9 scope out there...4200 or 6500 Elite before Leo for me..

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I always get a good chuckle out of folks pounding out this opinion on a computer chock full of Chinese parts.

.........and about a Leupold full of chinese glass............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought an Elite 4200 3-9x40 from Doug at CameraLand last summer to put on a Ruger MkII .257 Roberts. I am quite pleased; the glass is almost as bright in dim light (to my eyes) as my VXIII 2.5-8x36, but it is brighter than any of my VXII, Buckmaster, or Elite 3200 scopes. At $249.00 plus shipping it is the best deal going.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hmmm, How did you wake up this morning? Did you buy gas? Talk on a cell phone? Hell everything we use is made in some factory where Health and Safety is thrown out the door as soon as they punch in.

Leupold is a American Built Scope, but I am sure the internals are from China or Japan. Glass is probably Japanese too.

I'd get the 4200 its a great value and the glass is better than the 3200 but is it worth the extra coin. Well if you can wing it do it if not than I'd say dont worry.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own a five Leupolds, two 3200s and one 4200 3x9. The 4200 is a really good scope for the price. I have been pleased with all of the scopes above.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a few 4200's they flat out work. I hope to add a few more. The 3200 ant bad for the $ but there is a dirrance and it is woth it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Bushnell Banner that must be forty years old. I have never had a problem with it. I have five Leupolds, never had a problem. I have two 3200s and one 4200, neve had a problem with the Elites. I too, believe the 4200 is one of the best values on the the scope market.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought the 3200 3-9x50 with the firefly.... absolutely love that scope... put it on my .338 elk rifle. I have heard things like small eye box, bad eye relief, etc... for me none of those things. I pull up the rifle and it is just there. No adjustment needed. Also, it was pouring down rain this year during elk season, never once had an issue looking thru my scope. Now my cheapo Bushnell binos? They are toast. Gonna go with Nikons for next season I think.

J
juliang Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I ordered a 4200 from Cameraland as per my advice here, just waiting for it to arrive.
Huntbear, I got a pair of the Nikkon ATB binos last year, they are awesome. Next best thing to night vision and to my eyes, very clear. Maybe the image is a little washed out in very bright light but the low light capablilty more than makes up for it. They are light to carry and mine have travelled a few miles through all kinds of weather without a hitch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know where the comment came from with Bushnell not standing behind their products, but, many years ago I scratched the ocular lens on my B&L 4200 scope and I had a new (or repaired scope) back in my hands in a little less than 2 weeks. Not bad considering it was my fault to begin with. There is little question in my mind that Leupold's CS is first class all the way, but I'm not complaining about my experience with Bushnell's CS, that's for sure. I do agree with the poster that stated we should support American products all the way, so to make him feel better I ordered 3 knives from Charles May.

Roy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (117LBS, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 58 invisible), 14,260 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,285
Posts18,545,178
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.