Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Let me state clearly that I think the Bushnell Elite 3200, 4200, and 6500s are all VERY good scopes. What I don't get is the issue of so many people seemingly enthralled with the scope BECAUSE of the rainguard feature. While I think it's a novel feature, I don't see the necessity of it.

Maybe it's different in some parts of the country, but in most of the west at least, Butler Creek Scope caps are the rule. I can honestly say that since I started using them some 15 years ago, the issue of rain messing up my lenses has not been an issue. I would have these things on to protect my lenses from dirt, etc., even if I knew I would never be rained on again while hunting.

Yet, "rainguard" continues to be the reason I most often see people reccomend the 3200 and 4200 in particular, over scopes such as the VX-II and the Monarch....two scopes that I personally believe have more significant attributes such as eye relief, weight, optical clarity, etc.. That' just my opinion of course, and nowhere near a fact.

I guess I'm just looking for an answer from someone as to why the rainguard feature seems to be so important.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Heck.....I sure don't know? I, for one, have never known a person to even mention Raingurad, much less state that they owned a scope with the Rainguard feature.

And I live in the PNW where such a thing would seem real attractive.....to some folks.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have one 4200, the 3x9-40. I bought it for a specific function which was to be the scope on my bad weather treestand gun.

I wanted a scope that was bright (as rainy days are especially dark) and as I intended to use it just during a rain the rainguard was a selling point versus its main competition which was a $399 Zeiss conquest. It also helped that I think I paid either 220 or 250, some bargin price from Natchez.

I also just wanted to try the 4200, which so many folks had said was nice and it is. Its as clear and bright as any scope I own, the rainguard does work. I had to test it so I took two scopes out side got them wet and looked through them and its a noticeable difference.

I have BC caps on a few scopes but never did really get used to them. Some of my hunting requires some quick shooting and they felt like a hinderance. I do have a set of the BC caps with the clear plastic for my 358 ruger but haven't put them on yet. In my case caps would probably be great for about 80% of what I do, I just never really got used to them. Slings are like that to me. I served in a military unit that didn't allow slings and now 20 some years later I rarely use one. I carry one for when I am dragging or crossing a stream but the rest of the time it stays in my pack.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think it is a great feature.

The Oregon coast can get pretty rough, especially second season elk.

A nephew has a 4200 2.5-10 but I don't have any of their scopes.

I want a 2x7 for my backup elk rifle, a 35 Whelen specifically for hunting when it is really bad. To this point I take the 2x7 Leupy off and stick in the slide for the peep sight.

I do have binoculars and prefer them to anything else. I have two 8x26's, a roof prism 8x32 and a porro prism 10x50. It is so nice when glassing I basically don't take any other glass out with me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a B&L bino with rain guard and while I don't "worship" the feature it does work quite well. I got the bino when I started wearing glasses and needed more eye relief. The rain guard was not something that was a deciding factor. I would consider an Elite series scope for a bad weather rifle IF Bushnell would give them more eye relief. I entertained the thought of buying a 4200 1.5x6 with the firefly reticle but 3.3" of eye relief is on the short side IMHO.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Bear and Dave,

So are you guys not using scope caps of some sort? Again, I think the Elites are very good scopes, but with scope caps (which are standard fare for myself and I ASSUMED the vast majority of the hunting population) it would seem the rainguard feature would never really come into play. I know what happens when you assume of course.

noKnees,

You are at least twice the man I am if you hunt without a sling. I can't imagine not having one on.....then again I'm a bit soft.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm with him on the sling. I own one but have no idea where it is.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dwc5050
Bear and Dave,

So are you guys not using scope caps of some sort? Again, I think the Elites are very good scopes, but with scope caps (which are standard fare for myself and I ASSUMED the vast majority of the hunting population) it would seem the rainguard feature would never really come into play. I know what happens when you assume of course.

noKnees,

You are at least twice the man I am if you hunt without a sling. I can't imagine not having one on.....then again I'm a bit soft.
One of the first things I do is put BC's on but this year I had a "first"...The objective cap somehow got "tweaked" & when I tried to straighten it back in line it broke. From now on I'll carry spares. When this happened it was storming pretty good. I managed to keep the lens clear BUT my first thought was "Rainguard" I don't own any optics with it but have heard good stuff. I've been & still am tempted to try one of the 6500's but I can't get past the past. As far as slings go, I wouldn't go out without one. TOO many times I've needed both hands free either for dragging out game or negotiating an exceptionally precarious piece of land. Being "soft" has nothing to do with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought the Elite because it was a clear, reasonable priced scope, not because of the RainGuard. But it is a nice addition.
I can't imagine glassing, while standing, without a sling. While walking, I use a harness for my binocs and a sling for carrying the rifle. When I am seriously stalking or in a stand, I simply detach the sling.

stumpy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I also live in the PNW, and it is wet here more often than not. Not fogging-up the scope with my breath can be a real challenge. I feel I would be short-changing myself by not getting a scope with some sort of hydrophobic coating.
The rifle I am looking to get a new scope for is going to be my go-to gun for calling predators within short range, often in thick cover. I won't have time to mess with lens caps before the shot in that situation.
Anyone here know how effective Sightron's "Climate Control" is? Their 1.25-5x20mm looks about perfect for my application.

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the Elite bino's and love the Rainguard. Who hasn't had their glass fog up from breath or trapped body heat?

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bet if you had to take a really awkward shot at a trophy buck and accidentally breathed into it while waiting for the right shot you would be glad you had it.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
dwc5050, I use the ocular lens cover that came with the 7x42 Discoverer binocular I have. I don't cover the objective lens end. I have played around with the rain guard and found it works. I have intentionally breathed on the ocular lens when it was cold enough to snow and the fog just faded away. Worship it? no, but IMHO it ought to be standard on all optics since it does work in a light rain or when you accidentally breathe on the lens.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
I
iddave Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I hadn't thought of the fogging issue. Even with scope caps, I have been known to fog a scope from time to time. It only takes one errant breath to screw a shot opprotunity up. It's been a while since I did that, but it certainly happens.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think it is a great feature as NW PA has some pretty wet weather.I wish the other manufacturers would get on board!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dwc5050
in most of the west at least, Butler Creek Scope caps are the rule.

Don't know about rainguard, but am certain BC scope caps suck hind tit...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad,

This is the first year I used them. I tried to practice flipping them, but when the moment of truth came, I brought the rifle up and forgot to flip them. Fortunately I had a doe tag and a buck tag. The buck left, but I was able to shoot a spike on the doe tag.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt in the PNW, I use bc caps (more for dirt control then rain) and I love my 4200 scopes. I like the toughness, clarity and the rainguard. when on my febuary elk hunt last year out of westport, wa I chose to take a rifle with a 4200 chucked up. I made a good decision. even with the caps moisture is a problem. you can not even dream of how hard it rains there. 4200's are a solid scope with an added feature. they are also heavy.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There are folks that can chew gum and walk and those that can't.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Four of us were hunting during a persistent rain in Washington state a couple of weeks ago and happened to come together during the day. We each had a different scope - Leupold VX III, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, and a Bushnell Elite. We asked the guy about the Rainguard on the Bushnell, and I'll be dammed if when we all looked through it it wasn't clearer than the other three scopes. All of them were just as wet... however, the Bushnell was clearer and did not bead as much water on the lenses.

Now, I'm not saying we couldn't shoot using the other three brands, but without a doubt, the Bushnell offered the superior view in the rain.

Just my .02 - BTW, mine was the Conquest.

pell123
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.