Print Thread
Hop To
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Couldn't stand the after season blues. Windy, rainy, leaves all over the place, salmon fishin' doesn't start until Feb......what's a guy to do?

I know!! Purchase a new rifle and spend a few days settin' it up and work up some new loads!!

That's what I did. I've already got a laminated stocked rifle in a Remmy LSS 300RUM. Heavy bugger, but accurate and an all around great elk set-up. I truly like the look of laminated stocks, so with that preference in mind, I started to figure what I might like to have. Since I have really had great luck and success with my other Tikka's, I figured I'd stay the course. A laminated Tikka T3 in SS. Now.....what cartridge?

This is where maintaining that one should never say never comes into play. Although I've often thought about never owning 2 of the same cartridge (excepting .223's and 22's), I never said I'd never do so. Just so many out there to try out and experience. Well..........I did exactly that. I bought another 300WSM in the above offering.

My other 300WSM is a T3 Lite (SS) in a synthetic stock. It has been a great rifle which shoots lights out and is as smooth as, well, all other Tikka's I've owned or handled. So I figure, how could I go wrong?

My son and I hunted elk a few weeks back and I carried the 300RUM and he carried the T3 in 300WSM (which is what I took 2 elk with in '06 and '07). He left camp mid season due to work and I carried the 300WSM T3 for the remaining 5 days. The difference in weight seemed huge. Unless I get an opportunity at ultra long distance animals, the difference in effectiveness/efficiency between these 2 cartridges shouldn't be much of a factor. I really like the 300WSM, but the 300RUM has been a great cartridge/ rifle as well.

I also like the idea of my son and I both shooting the same cartridge for elk. I think that doing so has it's advantages, whether real or imagined. I also look forward to being less tired and draggin' a bit due to the weight factor of the LSS vs the T3.

I'm having my second lower back surgery (in only 3 years time) on Dec. 9th. The pronounced weight difference between the LSS and the T3 really convinced me to make this purchase. I'll keep the LSS as a backup rifle as it's reliable and a very accurate long range elk getter, but will only call on it when I know I'll be huntin' in cross canyon situations where the distances call for a longer range cartridge. I'll scope this new laminated T3 with what I have on all my big game rifles..........the 4.5 X 14 X 44 (side adjust) Zeiss.......on it's way tomorrow. I've already put on a Limbsaver butt pad, cemented in the swivel studs and adjusted the trigger. Tomorrow I'll seal the inside of the stock a bit better, punch out the barrel and mount the Talley steels that have been waitin' for a home for a few years.

Just thought I'd share my excitement. It's no fancy custom set-up nor is it gonna make the cover of most gun rags, but I sure like 'em and I feel that it was a good move for me given those few physical limitations which won't likely get much better in the near future.

Thanks for lettin' me share.............

Last edited by magnumb; 11/14/08.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for sharing magnumb. IMO some good common sense choices.

GOA
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks TooDogs - I'm hoping it works out too.

If nothing else, it's always a pleasure these days to set up a rifle/scope and work up new loads. I once dreaded such stuff, but as I get older, I really enjoy it and look forward to the process.

Thanks again..........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hell magnum i been in your play room, as many 223 rounds as ya got ya might need another AR too. Glad to hear your happy with your new toy and it sounds like a good one.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Good to hear from you again MA. You dropped off the radar for awhile there..........

Doubled that stash since you were last here...grin. I started my "panic buying" years ago......I hate crowds and the metal price increases which many experienced not too long ago.

I think I'm good on AR's and that which goes along with. I, like you, probably wouldn't need another firearm of any type for the rest of our years, but what's the fun in that. This new 300WSM seems to fit what I think I need anyway. It's a bitch gettin' old and broken up. 'Course, you wouldn't know about that.

Had a good blackmouth and spring season up here. Feb. should start out with a bang also. A few less seals around...I'm hearin'......laughin'. Give me a shout and we'll replay the last trip, but with a different result...grin. You're welcome to spend a night or 2 again so we can hit 'em early and your ride home won't be so late.

Take care MA.................

Last edited by magnumb; 11/14/08.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Magnumb, sounds like a great choice! I really like the 300WSM as well. How much does the entire set up weight with the scope installed..?

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Jimmy - thanks! I don't have the scope aboard the new laminated T3 as yet.....the scope should be arriving the end of this week. Even when it does, I don't have a scale worth a darn except the bathroom scale and that won't give us what we want.

I do know that the standard T3 lite SS weighs 6 3/8 while the laminated version weighs in at 6 13/16. So, about a 1/2 lb. more than the synthetic stock version. That little bit of extra weight can be a plus in the handling/recoil dept., even though I'm not very prone to recoil sensitivity/issues.

Loaded up 30 rounds for barrel break-in yesterday so I'm just waitin' on the scope now. If I get down around my gunshop when this package is all together, I'll try to remember to weigh it and get back with you.

Thanks again................

Last edited by magnumb; 11/18/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
magnum

yeah life has thrown me a few curve balls this year.

I spent 7 weeks in Louisiana and Texas doing the FEMA hurricane deal.

i got home 10/06 to my new 700 lss in 257 roy, left 10/08 for deer season, luckily the gun loved the 100 tsx and r22 outta the gate.

Then 2 weeks ago I got the call saying I will be a daddy round about july.

I have plenty of firearms to be sure but what fun would it be to stop buying em. I added a sig 229 .40, para tac 4 .45 and another kimber to the stash as momma laid claim to the G30 and sw 642, good problem to have.

would certainly enjoying coming up for a few days for blackmouth. let me know when and we'll compare schedules.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
You've been one busy guy!

Congrat's on your daddy announcement!! That's great, it's a wonderful experience and a most rewarding one. Hope everything goes smooth up to and through July. Congrat's to the expectant mom as well.

A new LSS Roy, Sig, Para and another Kimber? What am I doin' wrong? You gotta love new stuff......keeps us happy. As momma knows.....that's important.

We'll do 'er....................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,344
Posts18,526,913
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.