Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Not I who cast the first stone in regards to insults, but yea I am essentially calling you a liar and fraud....
Do you think people are so stupid as to not notice that you took that zebra heart photo from very close distance and that you splayed the lung off to the side to make the wound look larger?

Wow. That was not only unnecessary, but rather pathetic. To what length will you go to discount the photos posted by jwp? If there is one thing I know about him, he is not a liar and I suspect you would be feeling his size 10 if you even suggested that he is a liar in his company. I think it is rather sad that grown men (I can assume that most of you aren't teenagers posting on this thread) cannot discuss without it regressing to what this has become. BWalker, have you ever shot a zebra? Have you really used TSXs? Well then, let's see the photos. Anyone this interested in bullet performance and this invested in proving the ineffectiveness of Barnes bullets surely has made the effort to document their findings in the field. Right?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This might be one of the worst topic/threads I've read so far.

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Miles58, I couldn't blame you one bit for your love of the TSX- compared to the bullet mayhem you witnessed growing up. That many bullet failures would tend to make a guy REALLY value a bullet that always penetrates.

I wouldn't call it mayhem. I would call it a period when you see folks much like the ones here that have very strongly held opinions, some of which are lacking in the sophistication to understand what they're about doing experiments that they probably shouldn't ought to be doing, publishing articles in magazines they probably shouldn't be publishing, etc. We still had a lot of surplus military powder floating around, people were stuffing lead into copper tubing and calling it bullets. It's not that I love TSXs. I am deeply grateful for a bullet that is as dependable as can be made today because it is monolithic. No balance problems. No hollow areas in the body. If it looks right it is right. Cup and core bullets have come a very long way now. If they look right, chances are almost certain they are right. But a two part system is much more susceptible to manufacturing error and failure in use than a one part system. Stronger tougher mushrooms on the end that are more uniformly shaped offer advantages that lead and copper combinations cannot. I do not think I am getting poisoned by lead in my bullets. I know I am. That's a done deal. I do not worry about it though when I kill game with lead because I do everything I can to control that. I always have. Part of doing everything I can to control that now includes using copper bullets because there is no disadvantage other than cost to do so. Personally I think the cost argument is specious at best when you consider all the rest of the cost of hunting big game for even the lowest possible cost hunter. Working up a 1/2 minute load with Barnes bullets costs more today than with C&C bullets, but it's still less than when I was young.

But please consider this. I started hunting the year 2000... or 1999... can't remember now, but anyway- recently.

I'm not the briniest sardine in the can, but I have now killed just over 20 big game animals, including two elk.

I have never seen anything even remotely resembling bullet failure. All I've seen on deer from Corelokt, Partitions, Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, Silvertips, Interlocks, and a couple others are exit wounds- except for a deer this year that was a true "test of a bullet", in which I screwed the pooch and shot a blacktail through the ball of the hip joint at 40 yards with a magnum rifle. The bullet penetrated over 39", ending up under the bucks chin!

Bullet failure for me has now evolved. It used to include just three things: deconstruction (coming undone on the way to the target) blow up (failure to penetrate for wehatever reason) and failure to expand at all. Bullets that hit where you aimed and then went elsewhere were more the rule and not a failure. Tough bullets and particularly the TSXs began to change that for me. Now, if it deflects on bone it's a failure in my book. Monday night I shot a deer from 140 yards out with the rifle 18 feet off the ground. 130 gr TTSX at 3100 FPS. The bullet went in at a downward angle right behind the shoulder 3" above the sternum. It exited two inches higher on the other side. It deflected. Presumably on the rib it hit on the way in. It destroyed everything inside the chest of course and the deer died right there. But...That's a lot of bullet hitting very hard on a small bone and I don't think it should have deflected at all. My examination of this carcass as I butcher it and then examine it more closely will be the basis for deciding was that a failure or just what I will have to expect.

So... I respect your opinion and how you arrived at. But since I've NEVER seen penetration to be a problem, it hasn't led me to desire a solution- especially at the expense of a (on average) quicker kill, as Mule Deer talkes about.

Don't kid yourself. Penetration is always a problem. Always! In the example of Monday's deer, I placed the bullet to take out the heart and lungs. Both. I got both, but I got something I didn't expect as well, penetration in a different slightly different direction than I expected. The question in my mind is now what can I expect out of a shot where I might have to go through 18 inches or more of moose before i get to the heart? If my 130 grain TSXs out penetrate C&C 180s (which in my opinion they do in spades) then what? I grew up with people shooting 170 grain and heavier bullets into deer and they were nowhere near as capable of penetrating as far and as straight as the copper bullets of much lighter weight. A lot of the people I knew shot 180 and 220 RN bullets on a 30-06 because they "busted brush better". I've seen plenty of them hit ribs and go really crooked.

This isn't TSX bashing, it's just my attempt to explain why THIS hunter isn't all a-flutter over the copper bullets.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They are as they fell.

That Zebra heart fell on a tail gate of a truck??

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They are as they fell.

That Zebra heart fell on a tail gate of a truck??
Whitworth, once again I have used TSX and am currently using them. I dont get off by taking pictures of gut piles though. As I said previously our deer season opens tomorrow and I will be sure to take some gut pics just for the cheerleading squad.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Yes BWalker they did. Since the Zebra was hanging and the skiners were standing in the bed of the truck

Isn't it quite apparent that hte skinner (that's the guy holding the knife with the rubber glove on) is bent over holding his knife for size comparison

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Isn't it quite apparent that hte skinner (that's the guy holding the knife with the rubber glove on) is bent over holding his knife for size comparison

Yes, it is. Its also apparent how close the camera was and that the lung is pulled over to the right hand side of the pic. Even if you discount both of these points its still not very impressive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Your bullet is not produced any more.

That is correct. However, it has been out of production in that exact form for only about four years, maybe five. And the bullet which replaces it is virtually identical in construction except it has grooves to help it shoot better.

180 grain of copper is the same weight and has the same momentum of as 180 grains of lead maybe you better go and brush up on your physics.
Weight is weight when both bullets weigh the same the momentum is the same at the same velocity

I have never argued it was anything different. My argument is that having equal momentum at one point does not mean two objects will always retain the same momentum. My point in that thread was that I had my doubts that the material (copper) may not be carrying that momentum well enough for a target as resistant to penetration as moose can be. I further doubt that a smaller bullet of similar material and construction would be better. I was not attempting to discredit the XFB, XBT, XLC, TSX, or TTSX. I happen to think the old 225 grain .338 XFB was a pretty darned good bullet. But I also have some doubts about the distance which was being considered. Would another bullet have worked better in that exact situation? I don't know. It's farther than I like to begin shooting at moose with anything I use nor would I recommend it. That particular shot distance was a misjudgemnet on my part. My mistake IOW and I feel responsible for the bullet not working better because I should not have taken a shot. Still, the bullet neither penetrated well nor did it create much trauma - other than slicing an artery- in its unexpanded condition.

Of course sharing info is the intent, but some want to discredit the info with nothing of substance. Every thread that I post my results with TSX (not X bullets) you run out that photo of the old obsolete X bullet that hasn't been produced for YEARS as proof that TSX bullets fail. Post info that is current and I have no problem with that. How is the posting of a bullet that hasn't been produced for years relevant to a discussion of TSX bullets which are in production?

FWIW, I liked the original X versions very much and they worked very well nearly every time I used them on dozens of animals, large and smaller. In fact, there was a time when I might have been considered a "cheerleader" for them. And at that time JJHACK was poo-poohing them loudly. Obviously that has changed. Some of my favorites simply vanished and, being tired of getting something different whenever I had loads worked up, I simply decided to stop messing with them for awhile. I have shot some TSXs and they do seem to shoot well easier than the old grooveless bullets. I have yet to shot any animals though and probably won't until I see where they're going in their designs - and I've done more tests. The X design does have a bigger window of "workability" than many bullets do - and I like that. But, of course, no one likes what happens on the fringes of that window regardless what bullet is being discussed.

I suspect the TTSX may be the culminating product in the design with fewer later tweaks.

Originally Posted by Barnes website
How does TSX terminal performance differ from that of the MRX?
Both bullets are designed to expand immediately on impact, creating four all-copper petals and retaining 100 percent of their weight. In most hunting scenarios, both bullet designs give similar terminal performance, although the Delrin-tipped MRX delivers better expansion at maximum ranges.

I think Barnes knows some things they don't make a lot of waves about. And, likely, the TTSX is an answer to that.

(But refering back to the "308" thread, I'd still like to see what such a bullet does on smaller stuff "way out there" before it gets touted as an "all distances, all purpose" bullet.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have never argued it was anything different. My argument is that having equal momentum at one point does not mean two objects will always retain the same momentum. My point in that thread was that I had my doubts that the material (copper) may not be carrying that momentum well enough for a target as resistant to penetration as moose can be.

Momentum for cooper of the same weight is the same as lead of the same weight momentum of any material of the same weight and speed is the same no matter what the material

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course, but having equal momentum at a given moment does not mean that two different objects will still be equal in their momentum at a later point in time. The shape and density of the objects affects that. Even aluminum - or styrene foam- have the same momentum for a given object weight and speed. That doesn't mean they will all be carrying the same momentum after some distance of travel.

Less dense objects will always have momentum issues which denser ones don't have. While the hardness and toughness of copper, and the design and construction of the X bullet design combine to mask that problem within the "window of performance," it still is a physical limitation. I happen to believe, based on what I saw and attempted to communicate, that that copper slug no longer carried enough speed, momentum, power, or what-have-you, that it needed either to penetrate well or to expand. That was why I had issues with the use of the similarly constructed 150 TTSX in 30 caliber for that distance and target. I could be wrong, but until I see some evidence to the contrary - which no one has offered in that thread or elsewhere that I have seen- I am still going to stand with erring toward caution. It has nothing at all to do with my saying TSX or TTSXs are not good in general. That is neither intended nor implied.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dude,

Get a 458 Winny and 450 North Fork solids....

Your going to have issues with almost any expanding bullet sooner or later if tumbling and deflection are your criteria...stuff that gets a fat face can deflect, genuflect, and not go straight; just plain nature of the beast...when they still kill despite that, well?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
Dude,

Get a 458 Winny and 450 North Fork solids....

Your going to have issues with almost any expanding bullet sooner or later if tumbling and deflection are your criteria...stuff that gets a fat face can deflect, genuflect, and not go straight; just plain nature of the beast...when they still kill despite that, well?

Yes, of course and that's precisely the point. From the outside of the animal I am shooting at the heart/lungs. Deflection means I miss what I was aiming at. Like the lead poisoning, it's not a question of if, but one of how much. The problems arise when the bullets deflect enough to kill poorly or not at all. Both of which I have seen more of than I would like to have.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So you are going the 458/solid route? Seems the best way to minimize your issues.

T
TJR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I use the old 90 and 95 gr X bullets and the 85gr TSX in my 243 with 35gr IMR 4350 and whitetails go straight down. i have never measured the exit hole on a deer i have taken with one, but if my memory serves me right i would say it would be between 1-2 inch wide exit holes, and thats pretty good for a little 6mm in my book.

Watch Your Top Knot
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
So you are going the 458/solid route? Seems the best way to minimize your issues.

I think I might go to a 375 of some sort first. If that doesn't work good enough then I have a reason to get a 500.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Didn't find the answer to my question regarding the comparison of wound channels created by a lighter and faster X bullet vs a heavier and slower standard bullet (such as an interlock) when fired from the same rifle, but page 22 really made me laugh. Spit my coffee on my desk. The words reminded me of the board meeting during Jim Carey's Liar Liar ......Dick head etc. grin
dan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For what it`s worth, I found on the web, extensive results on wound channels done by the US Army, with corresponding charts etc. If you enjoy that type reading and associated data, it might be worth looking up. Answeres or addresses many issues broched on the topic here. I did find it interesting, proving some old-wifes tales to be just that..tales.

As for me, JBs` statement in part about a large hole equating to killing power fits well with experience in using my 45x110x500 74 Sharps,1250 fps, which dose make a big hole and on deer and lopes, killed very quickly.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.