Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The never ceasing and ever increasing rhetoric concerning the Ruger #1 in .22 LR really got me to thinking...

Now if it were a reality... Since Ruger's special run chamberings run in the $800-$900 range, Then let us assume that a rimfire version would cost even more since it would need a rim-fire alteration to the breechblock. Thus: it's not unreasonable to think that reality would dictate a rifle in the $1k range... IF , indeed they would ever make it... (Which is NOT likely)

Now being quite aware that yardage on long shots are commonly padded on the keyboard, and groups are proportionately shrunk... It occured to me to wonder how many of you folks would ACTUALLY buy one?

Now, I know that many of you dream of owning one. But I want to know how many actually have it in their means to buy one?

For instance the young married guy with a Ruger 10/22, a Savage 110; .30-06, and an 870 Rem, likely cannot afford one, thus could only dream...

For an older guy like myself, who owns in excess of 25 Ruger #1's and numerous Remington M-40-X's then I could see myself owning one.

So: Please be honest and if you actually have it within your means, How many of you would buy one?

If you'd just like one, but in reality couldn't afford a $1k Rimfire, then please be honest with the rest of us and don't say you'd buy one...

WELL...?

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they'd downsize the action accordingly to .22 proporitons, then they'd have my attention, even at/near $1000, assuming some really nice wood.

(I don't anticipate the above to become a reality.)

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I would as well, depending upon configuration.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edward,

My altered and barreled 22lr No.1 action, should be shipped in a few weeks! I'll let you know how it turned out. Hope that I can do the stockwork this winter.

I got tired of waiting on Ruger, and hired out the custom metalsmithing.

Regards,

Jeff

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grasshopper,

The only 22LR #1 I would buy would be on a 2/3 scale barreled action action that I could add to a custom stock of my design. None of Ruger's standard wood need apply -- too clunky for the round.

My .22 Hornet #1B fulfills every need I have for an accurate, walking around, practice rifle with cheap ammo to tune my shooting technique with bigger bore #1s.

My .22LR VBZ and a custom .17HMR with a graphite barrel fulfill all my needs for small bore hunting, Trying to tweak/accurize an already exoensive #1 in .22LR to match their performance seems like a waste of time and resources.

I pass.

1B

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well Grasshopper,
I didn't wait for Ruger to make up a # 1 in 22 LR, got one made by John Korzinek in 1995 and it's one of the best custom # 1's that I ever had. It originally was a 243 and It was not a problem to have it made up as all that had to be done was lower the original block so that the center fire firing pin hits at 6:00 o'clock, and of course a new 22 RF barrel had to be installed.

The biggest problem was the extractor / ejector. John Korzinek had sent the plans and drawings on how he set up the # 1 action for rim fire to Ruger and they seemed to like the way he did the conversion. Will they start making the # 1 in 22 RF, I doubt it.

I have shot it in a lot in different shooting events and have won my share of events with it in shoulder to shoulder competition and also shot it in some Schuetzen single shot postal matches, not sure how I did in the postal matches as there still going on till the end of the year.

It will shoot with the best of 22's, the last shoulder to shoulder competition I shot in this year was a 100 yd Schuetzen match, it shot a 245 out of 250, dropping only 5 points because of me not reading the wind correctly, but it was good for first place, shot the 5 shot group event at 100 yds. shot .732, again my fault because of not reading the wind, came in third.

Any way I now have just over 5000 rounds through it and have never had any problems. Total cost including the original 243 was about $ 1100. but I had extra work done to it such as case coloring, trigger, and speed hammer.
S/S

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ok..first, it would have to be the #3, that underlever on #1's is ugly, to me. I understand from reading a quote from Bill 20 years ago why its like that.
If it were sized down and available as actions/barreled actions oh my yes. A LR and Mag rim version would oh so sweet.
Indeed. And a clean version for engraving would be nice, I haven't seen any new rugers but I thought someone said they put some garbage on the sides?? I'm grateful if I'm wrong.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that underlever on #1's is ugly, to me. I understand from reading a quote from Bill 20 years ago why its like that.

What was his take on it?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For the original question..............no, I would not buy one.

The beauty of the no.1 design is that it can become any caliber within reason, that includes the rimfires; with a flip of the wrist(wallet/gunsmith) or doing the work oneself.

Last edited by redz06; 11/18/08.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Jeff,

Often have I posted:
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who WISH and those who WILL...

We all know which one you are. smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
126 views and only a half dozen respondees...

I guess that shows what the chances of ever having one are....

A simple YES or NO answer would seem sufficient.

But I forgot that most folks want a 20"-22"-23"-24"-26"-28"; light-heavy-medium; Octagon/half-octagon/round/ square/ fluted/ spiral-fluted barrel! NOt to mention stock and fore-end configuration.

Dream on boys and girls.... I don't see a #1 in .22 LR EVER happening. frown

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
S/S,

Do you know if Mr. Kornzinek is still in business? I used to see his ads in Wolfe mags, but haven't seen one in a long time. frown

I've only ever seen a coulple of conversions on #3 actions. And one #1 converted to .22 Mag... (God, I wish I'd have bought it... blush)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

With a msrp over a grand, probably a NO (sadly). If I ever come into a windfall I might commission one and build it exactly the way I want it with exhibition wood, set trigger, case colored buttplate and grip cap, ect.

Sorry, you asked for a simple answer.

NO

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by prostrate8

With a msrp over a grand, probably a NO (sadly). If I ever come into a windfall I might commission one and build it exactly the way I want it with exhibition wood, set trigger, case colored buttplate and grip cap, ect.

Sorry, you asked for a simple answer.

NO

For real! A guy that is honest and speaks the truth! shocked

Thanks for the reply...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF one was available it would likely draw a ton of interest because of its novelty. That doesn't mean anyone would buy it. I drool all over the Winchester Low Walls but have never bought one. I keep wondering why they don't make it in .22 Mag so I could use it for turkeys and some of the critters running around here. Then, I just walk off, shaking my head and not buying one.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
S/S,

Do you know if Mr. Kornzinek is still in business? I used to see his ads in Wolfe mags, but haven't seen one in a long time. frown

I've only ever seen a coulple of conversions on #3 actions. And one #1 converted to .22 Mag... (God, I wish I'd have bought it... blush)

Grasshopper,
Sorry to say he's no longer doing any more work, the last I heard he was not in good health and for all I know he's no longer with us.
S/S

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
S/S,

I suspected as much, frown Thanks for the answer.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
...But I forgot that most folks want a 20"-22"-23"-24"-26"-28"; light-heavy-medium; Octagon/half-octagon/round/ square/ fluted/ spiral-fluted barrel! NOt to mention stock and fore-end configuration..

Indeed. I seem to recall that someone even wants a N�1 in .303 British! So since we're dreaming anyway, how about a switch-barrel .22 LR & .303 Br.? (With an adjustable firing pin, of course.) Good for everything from grouse to gemsbok.

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a person can afford depends on a person's priorities. I'd probably get one but would have to save up for a bit. I recently finished up a Contender Carbine I have almost a grand in not counting the scope. I have 4 kids and we're on food stamps but I wanted a Match carbine so saved up and sold other guns to get there. If they made the No. 1 in 22lr I'd eventually own one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nope. the action is far too large to chamber in .22 LR. would seem out of proportion to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.