Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
magnumdood: They really are a lot of money today.See that new 2.5-10x32 Nightforce?What do you think of it? I could not tell if the Nightforce was FFP or SFP...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's SFP. No Nightforce FFPs are available yet. The first will be the 3.5-15 in a few months.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks,Jon.What do you think of the Nightforce?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
terry: What reticle does the S&B have that you like so much? I also noticed today that Nightforce is now making a 32mm 2.5-10 as well shocked.Don't know much else from memory but I did see a picture of it; looks pretty nice as well....there are LOTS of options above $1400 eek

Every S&B scope I've owned either had the #8 or #9 reticle. Personally like the #8 better. The outer large section of the crosshairs are so large you naturally center the animal in the scope so the outer edge of the reticle doesn't obscure the animal. The inner cross hair is fine enough for a precise shot placement.

On the NightForce, I have the 2.5-10X24. It's VERY clean. Mine has the Mil-Dot reticle which is my only complaint about the scope. It's a little too fine at the lower powers for my taste.

Terry

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Here is the Skinny on the new Nightfors FFP scope in 3.5X15 only for the time being

Nightforce First Focal Plane Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long-Range Hunters,

After extensive research and development, and uncompromised testing, Nightforce Optics, Inc. is proud to introduce the new and long awaited riflescope that incorporates a first focal plane reticle. The new model is called the NXS 3.5-15x50 F1.

As part of our introduction, we must place emphasis on one vital fact about this product: It will only be available on a very limited basis for the coming months; this is due to our commitment of fulfilling the various U.S. military contracts.

We anticipate that this model will be available on a very limited basis for the next four to six months. The reason the product is available on a limited bases is due solely to the two facts:

1) We are fulfilling U.S. military contracts.
2) We are in the process of ramping up production for this model to meet commercial demand.

As a point of interest, this new model riflescope, in the Mil-Spec version, is currently in use by several U.S. Army Special Forces groups. We have fulfilled, and are currently fulfilling U.S. Army contracts for this model.

Product Information for the NXS 3.5-15x50mm F1: Suggested retail price is $2,410.00
Standard Features Include:
1) ZeroStop
2) Illuminated reticle
3) Side parallax adjustment
4) Set of Nightforce Ultralite 30mm medium rings, (limited time only)
Reticle Options:
1) Two mil-radian reticles are currently available: The Mil-Dot and MLR
a. Thin-line subtended measurement equals .250 MOA
2) Proprietary MOA type reticles will be available in the future. (Within the next four to six months)
Adjustment Options:
1) .250 MOA elevation and windage adjustments, ZeroStop
2) 1.0 MOA elevation and 1/2 MOA windage adjustments, ZeroStop
3) .10 Mil-Radian elevation and windage adjustments, ZeroStop
a. Considering the fact that we will only offer the Mil-Dot and MLR reticle options in the short term, we believe the Mil-Radian adjustment option will be the most popular of the models listed above for the short term.

I hope you all find this information helpful.

Regards,

Ken
Nightforce Optics

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/nightforce-first-focal-plane-information-34964/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have no qualms running a 2.5-10 SFP S&B, and I look forward to the release of this new scope. My NF is the 3.5-15x50 w/R2 ret, I don't really use the reticle for holdovers/unders, though I have. I mostly use it for holding wind while dialing ele, also use the reticle to measure misses and make follow-up shot calls. The FFP scopes I've shot with (USO's & S&B's of various flavors) all had very fine reticles when cranked down to the lowest setting's. My personal feelings are I'd rather have a SFP in a hunting scope that only tops out 10x, If I'm killing a critter with the scope cranked all the way down then it's either a close, or a quick shot. The ranging, lead, wind hold, holdover advantages of a FFP scope at all mag's become a mute point (at least for me). I'm really thinking of putting the new NF 2.5-10x32 on one of my hunting rifles, that also looks to be another good option for us guys who are happy with 10x's out front. And all my hunting scopes are still Loopy's, with the turreted 1" 3.5-10x40 non-AO being my favorite "all-around" scope.

My only gripe on the NF scopes are the 10MOA per turn turrets on the MOA versions. I've been twisting turrets on all the 15MOA per turn Loopy's for so long that I still will mess up with 10MOA per turn NF every once in a while when I get in a big hurry with it. I don't own, but I have shot with the MIL/MIL NF and that is a much better way to skin a cat. 5Mils per turn was much easier to keep track of.....for me.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
Expect a DECLINE in Schmidt Bender Pricing if the Dollar does not tank after the election. They will not go back to January levels, however, there will be an adjustment downward. In my humble opinion the FFP Nightforce will be pricing itself within several hundred dollars of Schmidt Bender. I don't believe the value is there fwiw & imho...

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything I had read was putting the new FFP NF at the 2K pricepoint, now seeing the new link posted above showing it at 2400$ is a different story. Same thing with Premier's scope...seems there was talk about a 2000-2200$ price point, but now its $2800+....good, bad, or otherwise....it is what it is.

Matt, do you think the current cost of the S&B's are sort of driving up the pricing of the other companies trying to get into that particular niche of the market?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad,
I think Nightforce & Premier are charging what they believe the market will bear... Premier went from $1800 to $2900 in short order. Either they seriously underestimated cost or they decided to make a little more money. I honest don't know. They've requested that I become a dealer for them, however, at this point I'm going to have to be seriously impressed with the product to go that route...

Nightforce was affected by the cost of tooling up for the FFP NXSs, however, I would not say the extra $400 does not contain some price gouging and or profit margin.

Out of all the Scope Manufacturers Schmidt Benders Pricing has been the one most clearly connected by exchange rates to price increases. The United States is a HUGE market for Schmidt Bender and they want to be competitive. Unfortunately the currency markets have not been cooperative as of late. That said the price is coming down and a number of companies who increased pricing due to the market leaders lead will now be in direct competition with the best in the industry. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this shakeup...

We are experiencing a blizzard of "qualified and unified" praise for the Heritage. It is the finest scope ever made, far exceeding anything Schmidt Bender, Hensoldt, etc has ever produced. I'd like to see it in the flesh. Give the scope a couple years and get back with me. Schmidt Bender nor Accuracy International made their name overnight. I'm wary of those who claim to do so... Cheytac comes to mind.

I think Nightforce makes a good $1500 scope, however, that design with it's inherent design limitations is overpriced at $2400 or anywhere near that figure. I've not used the new Premier Reticle Scope yet, however, I don't know as they will be able to maintain that pricing with the economy in the state that it is. My concern with Premier is that they will actually be here in five years to do warranty work. $2900 is a ton to invest in what is, in effect, a start up. I wish them the best but remain very conservative with my choices...fwiw & imho.

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The S&B is time tested the Premier is not.... The Nightforce is an excellent 1400 dollar scope IMHO, but it is not a S&B or US Optics either... The Nightforce is definately a step up from a Leuppy to my eyes

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Matt: Do you have any views on this new S&B 2.5-10?or what to expect vs,say,a Z6?

Thanks

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/25/08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob,
I apologize but I have zero hands on experience with the new 1" tube Schmidt Benders. I also apologize for pseudo hijacking your thread...

Best Regards, Matt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Thanks,Jon.What do you think of the Nightforce?

I haven't seen this particular model, but Nightforce in general are solid, proven scopes. If you want toughness, reliability and good tracking, they probably can't be beaten for the price.

The reason they aren't at the top of my list are mainly personal preferences about the features. Lack of FFP being the biggest of course. Beyond that, the lack of fast focus eyepiece, the eyepiece turning when power is changed, only 10 MOA or 5 Mils per turn of the elevation knob, illumination not adjustable during use. Many of those things don't bother some at all; like I said personal preferences--just not my style. Also, the ones I have seen are several notches down on the glass quality scale compared to even IOR, much less S&B.

All that said, had they kept the FFP price down I seriously would have considered the 3.5-15 to replace the 3-18 IOR despite those features. But cranking up the price nearly a grand over the SFP models to $2400 makes that unlikely. Hell, I only paid $2500 for the Premier. That's one whopper of a difference $100.

Back to the 2.5-10X32, it is a nice size that the other brands don't seem to have direct competition for with the same features. So if you want that size along with the turrets, tactical reticle, etc (you probably don't), it's going to be a great choice for many people.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Matt: Don't apologize smile I'm hunting around for opinions on these things from folks on here that know more than I do about these higher end scopes.Based on whatJon and others say, i am leaning toward trying the S&B when it comes out.$1800 is serious coin; I'd like to make at least a half-assed informed decision... grinThanks.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Cracked the stock, but not the S&B

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn! What'd you do John?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JonA
...Hell, I only paid $2500 for the Premier...

Jon,

You're not talking about the Premier Heritage scope are you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, put in my deposit many moons ago. Once dealers have them in stock I'd guess they'll go for $2700-ish (MAP of $2799).

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Talked to them Schmidt und Bender boys while hunting with them last week. Planned is
a) a 1" (most probably 2,5-10) x40 mm in the 300 (+) USD price range
b) setting up an optical plant in the U.S. in the near future

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$300 ... seriously, can't be!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,750
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.