Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2580451 11/17/08
E
OP Offline
E
Question. I have several Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines and most function very well. However, I have one M1891/1930 Carbine, that will not chamber (close the bolt) with the very same surplus ammo that I feed the others. Any Ideas as to what is wrong with this carbine? Cases were checked for scratches and primer seating, all were ok. Again, this is all factory (corrosive) production ammo.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Could be several things.. First, check the chamber to ensure there's nothing in there to prevent full chambering.. Second, obtain a 'GO' headspace gauge and see if the bolt closes on that.. If so, and the chamber's perfectly clean, then there's a bolt problem..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks Redneck, I'll give that a try also. I posted the same question on LoadSwap and got a lot of great ideas from those guys too and most were Headspace issues or else that wonderful cosmoline built-up in tiny spaces. The worst thing that can happen is that it will end up a parts gun if I can't work it out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try a bolt from another rifle. The Mosin headspaces on the rim, so you can put one layer of masking tape on the case head and see if the bolt will close. I have replaced several defective bolt heads on Mosins without any real headspace issues. I have swapped bolt heads between several Mosins to correct headspace as well.

This is no replacement for a set of gages, just a test.

I have seen a couple of re-arsenal jobs that had the barrel replaced with a used barrel, resulting in short chambers.

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You didn't mention how far the bolt closes, could be filth or the neck left over from a split case and finally, I had one come in that a projectile was stuck into the lands- guy closed the bolt, opened the bolt, how you could miss a bullet and powder spilling all over..still, take a peek laugh

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
IC B2

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks again all. I have not had the chance to go back and check this carbine yet, but I do appreciate all the great tips from you guys. After tomorrow, (Thanksgiving) I'll get with it starting with a re-inspection, serious cleaning and the bolt swap suggestion. If that still does not remedy the problem, I may just order a set of gauges from Midway and check the Headspacing. Just to answer some of your questions. The bolt would not fully seat where I could turn-down and lock the bolt handle down. All cases looked unmarked or scratched, primers were seated appropriatly and nothing is in the bore, chamber or throat (I used a bore light). About all that is left IS a headspace problem or I missed some of that wonderful cosmoline in/on the bolt etc. I will post again just as a follow-up if I can discover the problem. Again, thank you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,829
Posts18,516,877
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.