Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Like daddie63, I'm thinking about reloading also. I would reload about 100 rounds of .30-06 and 100 rounds of .270 Win per year. Something to occupy my time during the sub-zero temps up here. I know a good book would be first, but what equipment would I need minimum to load some decent ammo?

Is it really worth it, or is the amount I'm going to do too small?

Factory ammo is going out of sight, and Osama's probably going to make it worse, so I thought I would give it a shot. (no pun intended)
I'm going to use the ammo for deer hunting and possibly Elk if I can get a trip together

Better to be over the hill than under it.
GB1

DKA Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It doesn't make a difference, how many that you reload, but the satisfaction, that you get from the first deer or elk that you take with bullets that you reload. I have reloaded for about 30 years and now load for myself, my son, and my grandson. It would be cheaper for me to buy my own, but then the satisfaction of knowing that they have taken deer with my loads and knowing that when they go, every load is identical. You can get a starter kit from most of the companies. Lot of good equipment and you can spend what you want. I personally don't reload for anyone except us 3 so take my time and produce each round tailored for the rifle that it is going to be used in.
I would get a Lyman or RCBS Starter Kit and then add what you need after that.

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For minimal cost yet great quality hand loads I would check the Lee web site. They offer basic hand loading tools that will provide you with very accurate rounds. You should be able to find everything you need there.

Mike

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
[Linked Image]
CRPA Member
SBR&GC Member

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV) - "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well rondrews,

Here are some links. Check out the starter kits at MidwayUSA.

Single Stage Reloading Kits

Turret Press Reloading Kits

If cost is an issue, I'd recommend either the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit or the Lee 4-Hole Turret Press Kit
One neat thing about Midway is, even if you decide to buy elsewhere, you can read the reviews on products to see what folks think. I recommend you read it. Many times, you will learn nifty tricks and work-arounds to common problems or just an improved way of doing things ... not just rants.

Also, check out Lee Precision to see Lee's descriptions. In fact, that anniversary kit looks like it gives you some more goodies than the regular breech-lock kit.

RCBS has an online guide/primer on reloading. Check it out.

A note about brands ... just like Ford vs. Chevy, you get wars started over who makes the best, etc. You won't go wrong with any of them. But Lee's stuff is a lot cheaper and makes good ammo.

Here are some other online suppliers you can check for price comparison and also if one store may be out of stock.

MidwayUSA
Midsouth Shooters Supply
Graf & Sons
Natchez Shooters Supply
Cabela's

Note, prices may vary some, but unless you get a major discounted sale, they will all be within a few dollars of each other. Also, how they charge shipping will vary, and once the total tallies up, they will be close. As the saying goes, what they don't make on the peanuts, they make up for on the popcorn. Generally speaking, when you order online, your S&H costs will be spread better over large, rather than small purchases. At Midway, order at least $25 worth of stuff if you do. That's not hard, trust me.

Basically, go ahead and buy your manual. Just about all of them do a good job explaining how to handload, but I am partial the Lyman's. They now have Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition available. I have Lyman's 48th. You can get loading data online from all the powder manufacturers, but you want at least one, and I would say two is better, handloading manuals. Another I recommend is The ABC's of Reloading, 8th Edition. Note, it doesn't have data, but it gives great explanations. Read up, and then you will know what you need to buy. Any questions, come back and ask, folks will go out of their way to help you get started. I'd recommend once you do finish reading the manual, to post your questions under the Reloading - Big Game Rifle's forum instead of in the software forum. You will get more responses, and more quickly.

Good luck finding your supplies, it seems that just about everything is selling out. If the major vendors are out, you might have to check the classifieds, ebay or gunbroker. Normally, you can find reasonable deals on those sites, but right now, they might be inflated. If at all possible, I'd recommend a local supplier or one of the above online suppliers given. For powder and primers, you will want to go with a local supplier. Otherwise, you have to pay hazmat shipping fees, and that boosts the cost significantly. Hopefully, by the time you get started, powder, primers and brass supplies will be available. Tough to find right now. I am fortunate I stocked up before all this mess.

Good Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been doing it so long that anything I ever bought has paid for itself. I'm starting to acquire things (equipment) that makes the job easier but not necessarily less expensive.

I reload for the satisfaction (as was said earlier) and to keep the art alive. I believe it is important for the knowledge to be kept in practice. wouldn't it be great for the anti-gunners if all reloaders stopped because it was too expensive and the knowledge was lost. They would love it. That's why they are going after the ammo and components right now. They are loving it that there are no primers or powder in the stores. They have started a trumped up lead scare and now they are on to the other components.

I was in academy the other day and a fella was talking to the clerk about whether to buy an AK47 type rifle form a gun shop or the 9mm carbine he was looking at in the store. I was standing by the ammo shelves and after a quick look knew that it didn't make any difference which one he bought. There was no 7.62x39 and I knew there was no 9mm behind the counter. There was no 30-30, 223, or 308 either. There was no ammo in a great many calibers and of what was there, none was under $25/box. At that point I knew another reason I was glad that I reload.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will keep trying to get these bills through that registers ammo and states that all reloaded ammo has to be destroyed. There is a bill in the House right now to that effect. It'll never pass as is but the anti-gunners are coming after us from all directions now and they have the clout in Congress to make it stick if the crazies in this world don't stop shooting up the place.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Rondews, I just jumped back into reloading after a 15 years. I was not doing that much hunting or shooting and figured I could just buy the factory ammo I needed. I was moving at the time so like a damn fool gave all of my equipment away. I had a bit of luck and found an on the shelf Lee Aniversary kit in the local gun shop. It was $95 and included everything you need except the dies. No Lee dies in stock but I lucked out again and was able to get RCBS dies. I will be loading 3006 and 243. I found that you pretty much have to jump on what ever components you can get. Again lucky to find a full box of 1000 CCI primers, can of H4350 and a can of Varget. Bullets seem to be easier to come buy so I picked up Nosler ballistic tips for both calibers and was able to stumble on some Hornandy interlocks 150 grain to try as well. I did keep my re loading manuals so have a place to start with both. I will start with H 4350 with the 243 and Varget for the 150 gr 3006. My total outlay for all of the above was less than $300 so you can get an idea of sort of a get started outlay. Yes my decision to get back in was partly cost ($2.50 every time you pull the trigger on the prem ammo) and I just plain missed doing it. Chasing that perfect load is a challenge and when you get there it is very satisfying... Good luck, Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.