Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
Talked to them Schmidt und Bender boys while hunting with them last week. Planned is
a) a 1" (most probably 2,5-10) x40 mm in the 300 (+) USD price range
b) setting up an optical plant in the U.S. in the near future

Thanks RD.Cheeper to make stuff here.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Import the Glass, and other parts they use and have it made here. Build a plant in the south, pay less. Means good news for the Customers

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ain't payin $1800 for a SFP scope. Period! powdr

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wonder what they will weigh. Always said if on of the top shelf companies would build a really good light durable scope they would have a winner. Get it close to 10-13OZ and I'll order one.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SAKO75
$300 ... seriously, can't be!

OK, perhaps he said 300 � (that's 390 USD) or perhaps he meant 300 (?) production cost.

It was, litterally, a "quick remark between two shots" during a hunt so time will tell...

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by powdr
Ain't payin $1800 for a SFP scope. Period! powdr

Quite interested in your reasoning here. I have both SFP (Nightforce) and FFP (S&B and US Optics) and I don't see the great advantage of one over the other. Yes, I have heard the claims of the "so called advantage" of the reticle calibration being the same all the time with the FFP scope, but in my expereince when the reticle is small enough to not cover up to much of the target at "max power" then it is too small on low pwer to use the reticle for hold over and when it is large enough to see on low power then it covers too much on high pwer at long range. At least that is my experience

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
anyone heard anything on this scope now that its 2009?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SHOT Show starts Thursday - we'll probably hear something from there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TC1,

I am tired of being ignorant about first and second plane reticle. Do the majority of American scopes come with first or second plane reticle?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ringman,

2cnd plane

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If that bit is true and its $300 or even $600 they will own the market as long as it stays SB of course. A lot of new players out, SB also will be duking it out with Heritage for the top spot. I agree with commends on $2400 is too much for NF's, they make a solid scope but not for that price, they would have to compete with USO in the second tier now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ok, forgive my ignorance on this subject, but why is a reticle that gets larger with power a good thing for long range shooting?
When I have used euro scopes like this to shoot out to 600 I always considered them a hinderance.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BWalker
When I have used euro scopes like this to shoot out to 600 I always considered them a hinderance.

Amen!!

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ok, forgive my ignorance on this subject, but why is a reticle that gets larger with power a good thing for long range shooting?

So that ranging indicators maintain a constant value.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Im not really sure what your shooting at,at 600 yards.But lets say ,for example that a FFP scopes reticle coverage is 1 inch at 100 yards.(most FFP euros are somewhat less than that)That would make it around 6 inches of coverage at 600 yards.That fits ever so nicely on a deers chest at that range and I have found it to work pretty well over the years I've been usuing them.Ask me how I know.
IMHO,FFP reticles also have a decided advantage against SFP reticles in shadows,dark backrounds,The days last light.And I also perfer them with a face full of sun and even in heavy mirage
type of conditions.To my eye,there just easer to see.
For target work with a FFP reticle I'd suggest a 8 inch diameter circle or square at 600 yards.Divide it up into a percise pie and your aimpoint will be just fine.
Im not really getting the point about a FFP reticles being a hinderance.Other than say,trying to take out a pasture poodle or some such,other small target.If thats the case, smaller FFP reticles, are to be had.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It depends on the reticle. As mentioned, when you use the reticle to hold for wind or elevation it works at any power. This is especially helpful for tactical reticles or holdover/TDS-type reticles. The fine lines on most of those are in the .06-.1 Mil range which only covers 1.3"-2.2" at 600 yds so it's hardly a hindrance, and even finer lines are available if varmints are your game.

The advantage for hunting is that you don't need to be on a certain power (which is often your highest power) to use them. Often the lighting conditions or getting on the target quickly or whatever make using the highest power difficult in the field, especially on a high powered scope. It also allows you to "walk around hunt" on 6X, or whatever power you want then take a quick shot without worrying about putting the power ring to the right spot. With FFP, it's never wrong.

Of course there are some reticles thick enough they may be a hindrance--maybe those are the ones you've seen, but they're not all like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to stir any chit here, but here's a honest question I have. On most scopes...say 10-15x on the max end, if you actually need to use the reticle to range something (i.e. it's out past 300 yards or so), wouldn't you probably shoot with the scope on the max power? In other words, what does it matter if the ranging system only works on the highest setting.

Now, I can see a place for it on the higher magnification scopes...20-25x.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It usually doesn't. In fact, a 2nd FP reticle can be an aide to ranging as well. You change the magnification to bracket the depth of an animal or something else that size, and the range is your magnification X100.
I see the advantage of FFP scopes in keeping the reticle easily seen during low light conditions. Had them on the old B&L Balvar 8's I used in my early years. Shot a fair number of ground squirrels out past 300 yds. even with the very thick reticle at 8X.
Ranging reticles have their drawbacks as well. Deer and other animals don't come in standard sizes. Nor do they stand perfectly broadside. They've also been known to stand above and below us. All of this limits there usefulness in ranging with them out past 400-500 yds.
One of the things I do like about them is to give me reference points for wind calls. Wind, I've noticed, sometimes changes either direction or speed just when I'm about to fire. With something like a Mil-Dot reticle, the hold off is easily and quickly done. E

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have never placed any value in using a reticle to range with. Thats what Geovids are for.
IME euro reticles are way to thick for shooting targets and at long range are a hindrance because the crosshairs cover too much of the target.
FWIW I base this on two euro scopes with FFP I have owned. One Zeiss and one Swaro Nova.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like being able to crank the power to shoot in the dark. Those big lines get really big and stand out.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,332
Posts18,526,707
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.