Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have 3 feeders out right now and I plan to double or even triple that by next year and I was wondering what yall put in yalls feeders. I usually just put yellow corn and mix in Hog Wild powder. This year I am trying C'mere Deer to see how that works. Do yall ever mix any other type of grain in yalls feeders? There is a lot of corn fields around where I hunt so I didn't know that if I put something the deer don't have available everywhere if they would spend more time at the feeders. Thanks

coyoteman23

�A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.�
~George Washington

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Feeders?

C
C
I just use plane ol corn in Texas All-Steel Feeders. See the pics

[Linked Image]

http://txallsteel.blogspot.com/

Canoli

Last edited by canoli; 11/19/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
feeders???

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

What are the best type of feeders?

IC B2

C
C
I like the corn broadcast feeders. The ones like pictured above holds 800 lbs of corn so you only have to fill it up once a season.

Canoli

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have some bears, which are protected, in our area.
If you use corn you only feed the bears.
Most use soy beans. Some mix in some deer pellets.

There's room for all Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Usually use corn, but it over doubled in price here this year. We tried some alfalfa rabbit pellets which didn't work and some rice bran which they didn't touch either.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My only feeder is a bird feeder... So bird seed.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've only used corn, but know some guys that have success mixing in roasted soybeans. I also know some guys that swear by rice bran.

As far as feeders, I like On Time feeders as they have a lifetime warranty. They are pretty dependable, but I must add that they have all had to have warranty work. No sweat for me as the On Time place is local.

My best feeders are 55 gal drums with removable lids. There are two options for leg kits, Bass pro and others make a kit that bolts on to the barrel to give you 3 legs for about 20 bucks and On Time sells a barrel band that clamps to the barrel and has 4 leg brakets. For legs, just buy some cheap EMT at Home Depot, 1-1/4" to 1-1/2"+ EMT works like a champ. I've even used rigid gas pipe. It is important to buy a barrel funnel from Academy or Cabelas to place in the bottom of the barrel so all feed get's dispensed, if you don;t use a funnel you will have a terrible stinking mess the next year shall you not pour out the remaining feed. The bbls will hold 350lbs +/- of feed. I set mine to go off for around 13-15 seconds once a day and they usually feed for 3+ months.

Good Luck

loder

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reloader,
Where do you place your feeders in La. - deep in the woods or along the edges of fields? I've got one in a field here in N.C. and they won't touch it...tearing up the corn I pour out by hand in the woods, though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't use feeders...I make piles.
here in the north,barley,wheat,rye and peas are best.early on they like some oil seeds but that doesn't last long.

best to put your baits on edges near transition zones.I set up between bedding areas and forage crops.

A shootin iron is a tool used for shootin
much like
a branding iron is a tool used for branding

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Triggernosis,

Sorry for the delay, been hunting for the last 3 days.

We put them in the woods and in food plots. They eat under the feeders every day, but mostly in the night hours.

Alot of debate on feeding deer on these forums. It was how I grew up hunting, so I just keep doing it and never thought it was a "bad" thing until readin git on the net a few years back. I hardly ever take a buck over feed, I usually don't hunt over feed as I try to find good sign and hang a stand or hunt from the ground. We merely look at feeders like food plots, we place food plots in several areas on our lands and place feeders in the plots as well. It's not to shoot deer over a bait pile, it;s to hold deer on our property. If you hold does with plots and feed, the bucks will be close by during the rut.

All of the neighbors do it, so if we didn't they'd most likely be on their places. Not much groceries for game in the piney woods here, mostly pine straw and briars.

I feel the same about feeders as I do about acorns or corn fields. When I go out of state to hunt, I like to hunt food sources. Hunting a cut bean or corn field is no different than hunting feed, wheter it's grown or placed it's all the same IMO.

Good Luck

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually corn, but I often put sweet feed in them the first time I put them out each fall. I found out the sweet feed brings the deer in a lot quicker than just corn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
95% of the time I don't use feeders or bait.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge
Usually corn, but I often put sweet feed in them the first time I put them out each fall. I found out the sweet feed brings the deer in a lot quicker than just corn.

Hudge, are you referring to the "sweet feed" like is used for cows and horses?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually the feed called "Allgrain" is a safer bet in most feeders as it is dry and doesn't jam up your feeder. My feeders help quail, doves and young deer make it thru the winter. I don't shoot the does that use it as after a while you get to know them as you watch. Actually the feeders attract bucks by having does around them. I spend more than $200. a year on corn and feed thru march.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feeders for deer hunting, hmm never would of thought that. I kind of always thought that feeders were for finches and such not hunting... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Suet brings in the squirrels too... wink

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinhmm I wondered why you told me you always carried suet in your pockets...now I know

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 15 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.