Print Thread
Hop To
#2588013 11/20/08
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I posted this in the hunters forum also but thought i might get some more info here. I kinda new to the levers so bare with me on the terminology. I picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and it shoots great, but it has recently started haveing issues with the lifter that raises the next round to the chamber. Basically it works fine unloaded, but with rounds in the tube it won't pick them up. I know the gun has been sitting a while and is DIRTY, which is where im starting, but am not real sure about taking it apart. I did as good of job cleaning as I could without dropping the lever or anything so any tips or tricks on disessembly and reassembly would be great. Thanks in advance.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 336 is pretty easy to field strip and clean. Just remove the screw that holds the lever in place. Then remove the lever, depress the hammer slightly and slide out the bold. There is a little spring keeper that the bolt slides against that will also drop out. I will also remove the magazine tube spring and plunger at this time for cleaning.
It's easy to get a toothbrush into to receiver for scrubbing, oiled patches pushed around with a wood stick, and a can of compressed air. I then run a 410 bore swab wrapped with oiled cotton patch down through the magazine tube, (you'd be surprised at the crap you'll clean out of there) I clean and oil the plunger and spring and reassemble.
To put the receiver back together first replace the spring keeper for the bolt. You'll see where there is a little knob that fits into a hole, you can see if it's in correctly by looking at the outside of the receiver. Slide the bolt back in about half way, reinsert the lever, close the bolt all the way and replace the lever screw. That will clean the part of the gun that gets most of the dirt.
Good luck.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Last edited by Hobie; 11/21/08. Reason: unfinished post.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey thanks guys. I got it cleaned and all put back together. That little spring keeper thing was kind of a pain, well it wasn't too bad after I found out where the heck it went after it fell out without me knowing! Again thanks and now I know where to come for all my 336 problems!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That hole on the side is a pretty good clue on that spring location as long as it falls out and not down into the action without you knowing it.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by jbmi
A 336 is pretty easy to field strip and clean. Just remove the screw that holds the lever in place. Then remove the lever, depress the hammer slightly and slide out the bold. There is a little spring keeper that the bolt slides against that will also drop out. I will also remove the magazine tube spring and plunger at this time for cleaning.
It's easy to get a toothbrush into to receiver for scrubbing, oiled patches pushed around with a wood stick, and a can of compressed air. I then run a 410 bore swab wrapped with oiled cotton patch down through the magazine tube, (you'd be surprised at the crap you'll clean out of there) I clean and oil the plunger and spring and reassemble.
To put the receiver back together first replace the spring keeper for the bolt. You'll see where there is a little knob that fits into a hole, you can see if it's in correctly by looking at the outside of the receiver. Slide the bolt back in about half way, reinsert the lever, close the bolt all the way and replace the lever screw. That will clean the part of the gun that gets most of the dirt.
Good luck.

The little spring keeper is really the ejector .

God bless
Wyr

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Be sure and check all the screws to see if they are tight .

And give the chamber & bore a good cleaning , now that you have the bolt out of the way .

If you have been using copper jacket ammo , use a good copper remover bore cleaner & patches . If you get blue green on the patch , you still have copper in the barrel . Repeat untill you tire out . Then run a wet patch of Hoppies # 9 through the barrel to neutralize the copper cleaner .

Repeat this every nite untill you no longer get the stain on the patch , usually about 5 - 7 nites .

Now lube everything up and put the rifle back together .

God bless
Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; 11/23/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,340
Posts18,526,828
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.