Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to thank John for his latest exclusive column for the Campfire, "Rifle Cartridge Overall Length."

Here's a link to the entire column:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/November_2008.html

You can sign up to receive the exclusive column every month here:

Signup for John Barsness's Exclusive Monthly Column

This is the right place to ask John questions about the column.

Thanks again, John!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It would be good if the webmaster could fix the link, but this worked for me:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/November_2008.html

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm VERY happy to be receiving this newsletter for FREE as a 24hourcampfire.com member.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dear John,
What's your status w/ Wolfe Publications? I just got a "Successful Hunter" and don't see you in there as editor. Have you "moved on" ? I very much enjoy your writing. Other than 24 hour campfire, where can we find your writing? I appreciated your 358WIN/338Fed Handloading article a few months back. I went out & purchased some TAC for my Hawkeye stainless 358...
Mark Warford

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry guys. My bad. Son of Gael's link is where it's at.

Again, my apologies.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Is OAL specific to bullet type? Is OAL the same for a Nosler Partition vs Nosler Accubond vs Remington PSPCL with the bullet weight and caliber being the same? Does ogive make a difference?

Is "Step 1" fitting into the chamber, then checking for magazine fit? I'm wondering what "There's your starting OAL." means?

I'm going to look into OAL on some of my rifles after the season.

Best regards.

T
T
Good column. Nice to see the free newsletter as well.
Just wanted to add, my father taught me the trick of using a candle to smoke the bullet in the dummy round (no powder/primer of course) as an easy way to see the rifling. It would seem that by using steel wool you're actually making the bullet smaller, and might get a misleading measurement; going to a new bullet would then put you closer to the lands than you think.
I'm sure John has used this method himself and not found it to be an issue.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent column! (But then, we expect that.) I am so glad to see OAL or COAL explained as not being some divinely-inspired number but rather a number that is dependent upon the rifle in question. Thanks John. Thanks, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
John's writing is good as usual.

Steel wool is better than smoking bullet--the thickness of the smudge is thicker than any that might be removed by steel wool burnish.

All of those methods are inferior to using a slip fit neck and a rod like the Stoney point tool

Just touching is never a reliable place to be....Should be .005 or more off or into rifling for robust performance.

Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by june6th1944
Is OAL specific to bullet type? Is OAL the same for a Nosler Partition vs Nosler Accubond vs Remington PSPCL with the bullet weight and caliber being the same? Does ogive make a difference?

Is "Step 1" fitting into the chamber, then checking for magazine fit? I'm wondering what "There's your starting OAL." means?

I'm going to look into OAL on some of my rifles after the season.

Best regards.

The shape of the bullet will make a lot of difference in the OAL of the round. Obviously a 180 RN and a 180 spire point have very different lengths and shapes. The spire point seated the same distance off the lands will actually have the tip well out into the rifled part of the barrel while the RN will be just barely into the rifled part of the barrel. The critical dimension here is how far from the rifling is the portion of the bullet that engages the rifling first.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
These articles are going to be great!! Thanks Rick and JB.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MarknMaggie,

I no longer work for Wolfe Publishing, in any of their magazines. I am working steadily for several other magazines. You can find out the latest news in that direction by checking out my website, www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I didn't mention in the column is that after establishing an accurate seating depth for one bullet, it's relatively easy to seat another bullet so that the ogive is the same approximate distance from the lands.

As an example I'll use a .30 caliber bullet. After establishing a good seating depth with one bullet, the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance can be obtained by setting a standard steel caliper to .304", then using this setting to inscribe a circumferential line on the seated bullet in front of the case mouth.

The distance from the case mouth to this inscribed line can then be duplicated relatively easily on bullets with slightly differening ogives. Just inscribe a circumferential .304" line around the ogive of the second bullet, then seat this bullet so that the line is the same distance from the case mouth as the line on the original bullet.

In fact, this is the method I use when testing lots of different bullets in one cartridge. It is very easy to establish the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance with several different bullets using this method.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
JB,
Thank you for your continued support on this forum. Always enjoyed your articles, have to say I don't really like what I see in the older big two, ST, GA. Black guns are fun but not what I do. I still use your reccommended loads for the 9.3X62. My CZ has the same accuracy as yours with these loads. Don't really need this one for deer, but will take to the field this year in about a week with the Norma 232's. I am following your articles in other magazines, wolfe in my opinion has lost much of what they offered before you left. Keep up the great work.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB,
What do you think about cartrige overall length and Weatherby freebore? Should we seat the bullet out as far as the rifle magazine will let us or seat the bullet a little deeper in the case? Right now I am loading for a 257Wby and I have found in this rifle its more accurate when the bullet is seated a little deeper in the case. (bottom of the boattail even with the bottom of the case neck) any info on the right way to set the c.o.l. in the Weatherby would help bunch! thanks rl...

Last edited by STA; 11/13/08.

randy..
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I didn't mention in the column is that after establishing an accurate seating depth for one bullet, it's relatively easy to seat another bullet so that the ogive is the same approximate distance from the lands.

As an example I'll use a .30 caliber bullet. After establishing a good seating depth with one bullet, the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance can be obtained by setting a standard steel caliper to .304", then using this setting to inscribe a circumferential line on the seated bullet in front of the case mouth.

The distance from the case mouth to this inscribed line can then be duplicated relatively easily on bullets with slightly differening ogives. Just inscribe a circumferential .304" line around the ogive of the second bullet, then seat this bullet so that the line is the same distance from the case mouth as the line on the original bullet.

In fact, this is the method I use when testing lots of different bullets in one cartridge. It is very easy to establish the same approximate ogive-to-lands distance with several different bullets using this method.

How about one of these to establish ogilve lenght
to the base of the bullet

[Linked Image]

Even bullets that are the same, but have a different manufacture data can have different ogilve lengths

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those work too, obviously--and yes, different bullets have different ogives.

But my method will get in the ballpark without buying an extra tools. I have too darn many handloading tools already.

If we start with a "base bullet" seated to .03 off the lands, then my method will help seat any other bullet closely enough to start shooting, without goling through a lot of gyrations.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John what have you found to be the best way to get consistent readings with the guages like the Hornady LnL/Stoney Point or the Sinclair nut as shown in a the post above.

For example is it advisable to twirl it in the guage?

BTW I just measured a certain brand of Match grade 6.5mm bullets and the distance from base to ogive varied from 0.7300" to 0.7345"(thought match grade would be much more consistent than that). I thought the reason for the variability is my COL was due to the pointy tips contacting the stem but apparently it was the bullet. Have not shot it yet so may make no difference in accuracy.

regards,
JohnT

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any measuring tool depends on consistency in method, plus quality of tools. A lot of calipers have some spring, hence they must be used with consistent pressure to measure accurately. So whatever you do, you must do it the SAME way every time.

There can be variations, obviously, in some bullets as well.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Mule Deer, my "bullet nut" doesn't have a .25 caliber hole, so I tried a similar technique. I set the caliper to the bore diameter (.250"). I am curious as to why you used .304 instead of .300. Is it because the lands taper off at the throat?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.