-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put me down for the Dakota 10. I've never had one that wasn't MOA, and to me it's the best looking. I like brunettes the best, too.
Don

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
IF I had that kind of money, I would take next year off.

(I didn't surrender ether, but they took my horse and made him surrender.)The Outlaw Josey Wales
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It depends on whether you want a tool or a toy. I am not suggesting that T/C Encores are high end guns. I have three. They all shoot one hole groups. There is no other gun on the market that would interest me more. I like stainless and synthetic. Sure, the others are nice. But ultimately we ask for our rifles to shoot accurately. The extra layout of funds would not gain me ANYTHING more than what I have. And, that is a rifle I am pleased, confident and adept with.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
docdb #2589540 11/21/08
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by docdb
I like brunettes the best, too.
Don

I second that!! I have a beauty myself. She loves to shoot too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course, TC's don't shoot one hole groups. Nothing does. If they did they would win all the benchrest matches. T/C owners don't even show up to shoot.

I have had them all, from the lowest production single shots to the highest end. I've got Ruger #1's, more than I care to count. Several Shiloh's, original Borchardt and others, but the one rifle that rides the river more than the rest put together is my Martini and Hagn 300 win mag. Its been to Africa, killed 75 or so feral hogs here at the ranch, 7 or 8 decent whitetails, turkeys and etc. When you handle one and see the detail, the near water proof machine work, the precision and care in manufacture, it will just break you of shooting anything else.

Are they benchrest accurate? Nope mine shoots about like you would expect an 8 pound premium single shot rifle should. It commonly shoots real world 3 shot 108 yard groups at about 7/8ths of an inch. I have shot a lot of 200m sub inch groups but they don't prove much. I was on on those days and the wind was mild.

The production rifles are fine for what they are, but they do not hold a candle to the Hagn. I worked hard and saved for mine and I wouldn't trade it for 100 other misc. single shots.

Any of my other rifles would probably be adequate, but the Hagn kicks adequate in the butt and takes hunting to the level of art. Mine wears some battle scars, but it is still perfect for me.

Hunt with the rifle that makes you happy. They all are fine.

Tastes vary, obviously.

SS

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a song dog from the other night with my Hagn and an S&B scope:

ss

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SS; Yer a nice lookin feller so don't take offense, but I want a close up of the rifle if ya don't mind. That looks to be wearing some mighty fine britches.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
Of course, TC's don't shoot one hole groups. SS

Mine do. Their barrels are Shilens. And, none of them cost close to $20,000.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reloder, one hole groups are what quarter inch, 3/10ths of an inch? No rifles I have seen outside of benchrest or high end customs will do that kind of accuracy shot after shot. I've got a Krieger barreled Nesika bolt action built by a benchrest gunsmith and I wouldn't call it a "one hole rifle." Sure it will get down around .2" for some groups and then it will run close to an inch for others.

If you really have "one hole" T/C rifles it is simple to prove if you are honest. Hy thyselfe to ye local rifle range and shoot 10 back-to-back 5 shot groups at 100yds. You can easily do this on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with some 1/2" black marker aiming points if you really have a "one hole" rifle. Then just snap a picture and post it here. I am sure we would all absolutely love to see that kind of shooting out of any sporter weight rifle.

Prostrate, here is the only picture I have loaded of the rifle. I need to take some better ones, I'll see if I can get a chance in the next few days.

SS

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Martini and Hagan work. However, you would think for that kind of money, you could at least get a cnc action rather than a investment cast action. Then the inside of them wouldn't look as rough as and old corn cob.

All of my rifles shoot one hole, one hole at a time! grin

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Reloder28 said his T/C Encores,
"all shoot one hole groups"
Real shooters know that's not going to happen with a TC. Of course he did not say how far away the target is.

He also said,
"Their barrels are Shilens"
Shilen does make good barrels, and I have a Shilen on one of my Match guns, but why anyone would waste a good Shilen barrel on a TC is something I guess I'll never understand.

Your tryin to joke with us right.

Why would anyone do something like that ?, I'm sure it's not for any type of target shooting, like SharpShooter said,
"T/C owners don't even show up to shoot"
S/S

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
SharpsShooter...
A few years back M&H had a dislay at the Kamloops Gun Show...Nicest falling block rifles I have seen...They even had a O/U falling block based on their action...Your M&H is a beauty!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nrut,
Who is M&H?

By the way I believe I am the best single shot maker. IMHO smile

LRF

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by LRF
Nrut,
Who is M&H?

LRF

And I bet you make a good one...so please tell us more about the single shots you make... smile ...
M&H = Martini & Hagn
http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know LRF, that offer to adopt me as your live-in rifle field tester still stands. Cool rifles you build, but I think the discussion here is about single shot rifle makers who produce rifles for sale for a living.

Thanks for the compliments guys, my Martini and Hagn is a spectacular rifle and I could not be more pleased with it. And yes, I understand the action begins life as an investment casting and is machined by Hartman and Weiss. Anyone that thinks they are "rough as a cob" on the inside has never seen one in person. Judging by mine I can find no surface that is not machined and polished. It locks up so well on the lever and trigger area that it appears water tight.

Mine shoots very well. It took a bit of breaking in, the barrel is a hammer forged Heym and at first it would just not settle in. Now with little brass preparation and 180gr Remington Corelokts it normally stays under an inch all the time. With better bullets like Match Kings it will squeeze down toward 1/2". Bear in mind it is no different than any other single shot in that technique off the sand bags is critical. It is just not built for benchrest work, lean your head in too hard or torque the forend too much and it will kick a flier. So to call it a sub half-minute rifle would be untrue. Overall, it will stay under an inch with excellent benchrest technique. Get sloppy and it will show up. But it is not a benchrest rifle. If is a pure hunting rifle. It fits me perfectly and I have pulled off some running shots with it that shocked me.

It is a mucho cool rifle. I wish I could afford two or three more, but that is out of the question. I had to sell many rifles and sixguns out of my vaults to be able to afford this one.

I highly recommend the Hagn if you want the ultimate single shot. I love mine.

SS

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
If you really have "one hole" T/C rifles it is simple to prove if you are honest.
SS

To be honest, my best tediously attained hand loads will shoot one hole groups with three shots 1 out of every 3 groups fired. I think that qualifies as one-hole shooters. Those load recipes are NOT my hunting loads. My hunting loads range from 3/8"-5/8".

I never said anything about competition, you did.
I never said anything about high end custom shooting irons, you did.
The highest priced gun I own is a Weatherby Mark V in 7 Wby & I could not be separated from it. It is a sub moa shooter too.

I don't have anything negative to say about whatever shooting irons you have. No matter what size belly laughs you or anyone else derive from my statements....my guns still shoot the same whether you agree with me or not.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LRF
Nrut,
Who is M&H?

LRF

You through down the gauntlet, PICTURES, PICTURES we must have PICTURES. Let us be the judge of that. shocked

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
SharpsShooter, invite me to come shoot pigs and I'll bring them. Bear in mind that I won't want to just shoot one but a string full sounds like the right number. smile

Sorry I just had to say that earlier about my guns. The Hagn is certainly a nice gun and although I have never seen one I have heard much good. You would really like my Fraser in 405 Win.

Have you ever shot or handled Dakota arms model 10, I think that is what they call it? The model 10 is a nice gun but has an ejection issue that as far as I know has not been resolved. As the case ejects it hits the back of the receiver wall and sometimes has to be picked out of the cartridge channel.
I knew Don Allen way before he started Dakota arms and actually built for him the first 2 prototypes of their stock carver. The was when he lived near Northfield, Mn (early 1970's) Alot of history there, however I degress.

Oh yes on the adoption thing you will have to follow my 2 boys and 4 grandchildren. If that works for you then maybe we can make an arrangement. smile
[Linked Image]

Last edited by LRF; 11/22/08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, surely I could slide in between two of the those four grandchildren.

The Dakota is truly a cool rifle. I especially liked the light weight and the stock seemed to be a good general fit for me. There was also some type of a sear/trigger malfunction that in some combination was a problem. Still a class act. The wood was over priced, just like all the Dakota's.

You can come and kill every feral hog you see. It gets pretty gritty around here sometimes. Earlier this year, right before we harvested wheat, I killed 32 ferals in three weeks. Almost all with the Hagn. A couple with my new 40-70ss Shiloh Sharps. I have killed a couple of hundred in the last few years. Texas Parks and Wildlife employees refer to the ferals as "land cancer." I agree with them.

Reloder, sorry 30 percent with three shot groups puts you in the also ran class. Not "one holers" just regular ole factory rifles. Welcome to "about normal" with the rest of us.

ss

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
3sixbits,
Then the inside of them wouldn't look as rough as and old corn cob.

This is an interesting comment, I take it you have inspected a Hagn. Please elaboate on this.

All, save one of my single shots were built from solid stock. On the one that is from a casting (custom made) I saw no dealt between it and the others.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.