Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just had to pull myself up off the floor, it looks like my P-Mags are appreciating faster than my collection of Browning shotguns, look at this madness: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG074-0.html

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Let that be a lesson about ordering anything from those people. If they are screwing you over on this you can believe it is happening on other things too. I haven't bought from them in years and probably won't ever again.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That just sucks...............!!!!

I have never ordered from them and I will definitely not now. That is just horse chit.....

I've bought some 30 of the windowed PMAGS in the last few months and happen to have another dozen on order as we speak from AIM. These on order were ordered a week or so ago for $17.05 and .01 S&H. They were $17.05 months ago as well as just last week. CTD's asking price IS MORE THAN TWICE what many other companies are currently asking for that same exact mag. CTD advertises that the PMAG is available through them at a 33% saving from their retail price of over $50! Their stated retail price is 3X's what AIM's current price shows.

Taking advantage of the panic buyers, whether real or imagined reasons for feeling a bit panicked, may be looked at by some as just the way people do business, but it really rubs me wrong. Making a profit and a living is one thing, but gouging at twice the normal price shows very little integrity.

I've never read much positive feedback about that company anyway.........this seals it.

YMMV.....................

Last edited by magnumb; 11/23/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
prices are up for a varity of reasons. If CTD is not your cup of tea, then buy from someone else. Of course, right now, not many people even have Pmags.
What a great bunch of capitalists we have here!

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What a great bunch of uninformed people we have here as well.

Cheaper Than Dirt has been the subject of many forum members anxiety and anger as they have not honored the prices that they advertised on their .223 ammo and other shooting supplies nor their promise's to deliver said goods when told they would get the same price even though backordered. Go to AR.com and do a search. It was widespread and well documented.

My initial post didn't get specific as I didn't feel a need to do so. I figure mine and others comments here would suffice as to our feelings about their business practices and integrity. If these several posts were lost on you, obviously your problem or issue. Can't imagine why I and others here would target a company in a negative way without a valid reason to do so. Thanks for opening up that door. Google " Windowed PMAGS for sale" and let me know how many companies are charging anywhere close to what CTD is asking and get back to us. Having read numerous experiences in dealing with CTD and the way they do business, they may not even have any available, but if they do, that would be no big surprise given what they're asking.

I do purchase my reloading and hunting supplies from several different vendors, CTD not being one of them. So, no need to offer up any condescending suggestions thinking that I might benefit from what you might have to offer. Way ahead of ya. I and others were just trying to give other members here a "heads-up" as to what we or many others have dealt with when dealing with this company.

YMMV and obviously it does...again, your problem, not ours.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by magnumb
What a great bunch of uninformed people we have here as well.

Cheaper Than Dirt has been the subject of many forum members anxiety and anger as they have not honored the prices that they advertised on their .223 ammo and other shooting supplies nor their promise's to deliver said goods when told they would get the same price even though backordered. Go to AR.com and do a search. It was widespread and well documented.

My initial post didn't get specific as I didn't feel a need to do so. I figure mine and others comments here would suffice as to our feelings about their business practices and integrity. If these several posts were lost on you, obviously your problem or issue. Can't imagine why I and others here would target a company in a negative way without a valid reason to do so. Thanks for opening up that door. Google " Windowed PMAGS for sale" and let me know how many companies are charging anywhere close to what CTD is asking and get back to us. Having read numerous experiences in dealing with CTD and the way they do business, they may not even have any available, but if they do, that would be no big surprise given what they're asking.

I do purchase my reloading and hunting supplies from several different vendors, CTD not being one of them. So, no need to offer up any condescending suggestions thinking that I might benefit from what you might have to offer. Way ahead of ya. I and others were just trying to give other members here a "heads-up" as to what we or many others have dealt with when dealing with this company.

YMMV and obviously it does...again, your problem, not ours.

guess you figured wrong. I don't read a lot of posts where folks are whining about being mistreated by vicious retailers. Guess you have been taken in the past. I have not had any issues with CTD. Maybe its you with the problem after all, since you seem to be the aggrieved party. smile

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Guess what? Once again you're wrong. I have never ordered from them. But I know of many people that did and I've read others posts about them while on forums such as this while simply viewing another forums contents. Let me guess....because it didn't happen to me it's not valid. Simply go the the AIM and CTD websites and compare their prices on the subject at hand. Even if these many complaints about CTD had never occurred, the disparity between these prices should be telling enough about one's business practices, especially when their claim to fame is being "CTD".

Since I'm interested in almost everything to do with the purchase of .223 ammo and/or it's components, is it not likely that I might frequent a forum where it's main focus is of the same? And while doing so, is it not possible that I might just happen to see where numerous pages of complaints about one particular companies unethical business practices are being discussed. Actually, it would have been impossible to miss. And since there were so many different posters/members affected adversely, it did garner more of my attention than simply one persons comments and bitchin' about being wronged by a company..........not that one persons complaint can't be as valid and real as any others. But scores of complaints about one particular company from different members for the same exact reason in a very short time span, well, that can capture a persons attention.........and should.

So no, I have not been the aggrieved party in this instance, but I likely would have have been had I not happened upon the scores of posts complaining about the same exact issue that they were experiencing with CTD. So my intent all along has been to inform other members here as to the possible pitfalls of doing business with such a company. Since you consider that members that have a valid complaint about a specific company are all "whiners" without a valid reason to do so as your post clearly suggests, you obviously care little about the plight of other people and don't choose nor care to help yourself to become a more informed consumer.

Again.......YMMV. You obviously have ESPN and can tell when your business dealing are all gonna be up front and honest. Most of us don't share such an ability. More power to you. But for the less fortunate here and elsewhere that are interested in getting a fair deal along with a fair price, such posts can enhance that persons chances at doing just that. I suppose that you think that people interested in such information are also "whiners" and that their seeking out such information is stupid..........that would seem to follow your line of thinking given your last post.

What's so wrong about trying to give other members a heads-up about some past business practices of a company that might now impact them? Especially since it was initially given in such a low key manner as it was. You, alone, have allowed it to spawn into something more than it was ever intended to be.......solely for the purpose of critiquing another persons "assumed" beliefs on Capitalism...........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Mag, whats new? Well chit, so much for the CTD gift certificates I was gonna send you this year! laugh Obviously you know my original post was intended as a buyer be-ware, and for anyone else that just needed a good laugh. Companies that gouge to that degree may well make large short term gains, but they lose the business or the future potential of it from folks like us.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Magnumb
What's so wrong about trying to give other members a heads-up about some past business practices of a company that might now impact them? Especially since it was initially given in such a low key manner as it was. You, alone, have allowed it to spawn into something more than it was ever intended to be.......solely for the purpose of critiquing another persons "assumed" beliefs on Capitalism...........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Your "heads up to others" is nothing more than an anecdotal fueled rant. I, and many others, have never had a 'raw deal' from CTD.
.....and speaking of 'assumed', you take great liberties with that as well.

so, are you over your little fit of pique? Feel better now?

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Regular folks, I would assume.....grin.

Please go ahead and send me those CTD gift certificates. I'm gonna use them on purchasing some heavy sand so that I can try buryin' my head in it like some others so I can stay disassociated with what's happenin' out there. Seems to work for some...........

Your original post seemed harmless enough as well as very well intended, as I thought my initial post was. Seems as though we're now thought to be "whiners" for merely attempting to give others a heads-up. I thought that's what members do for other members............not so much I guess. If someone's willing to pay twice as much for a mag, then so be it. Having that information up front from which to draw from........seemingly prudent, well intended and inoffensive......IMHO.

Take care TH and I hope the holiday season treats you and yours well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.....and your initial post added exactly what to this thread?

I've felt fine all along......thanks for asking. My comments and their intentions were honest and up front from the very beginning so there is no need for me to feel otherwise...........can you honestly say that your initial post had any intention other than to be critical of other members?

Seems to me that discussing ones experience or knowledge about a particular company, be it their +'s or -'s, has much more useful substance to it than commenting on other members "assumed" beliefs (Capitalism, etc.).

Don't you...................really?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bottom line...........

CTD=POS

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
magnumb
I've felt fine all along......thanks for asking. My comments and their intentions were honest and up front from the very beginning so there is no need for me to feel otherwise...........can you honestly say that your initial post had any intention other than to be critical of other members?

Glad that you are in good spirits.

Yes, I can honestly say that my comments were made as an expression of my experience with CTD, and were not judgmental as to your experience with CTD, or your world view in general.

I think you assume too much, but then thats ok too. smile

If you want a 'last dig' in this relatively pleasant exchange of views and perceptions, feel free. I've said all I need to on the subject.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When Michael Tiney owned Cheaper than Dirt they were a good company to do business with and had great deals. Now that he is gone it is another chapter in rip off the shooter!!!! If you get their catalogs and then try to buy something from them the price has doubled and they claim their supplier has done up or it was a miss print or some chit. The Attorney General of Texas should investigate them for false and misleading advertising, but that is just thought about the way they treat customers.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You're funny, but not in a haha way.

You intentionally try to make a thread personal about a company that, to my knowledge, no one here owns. You then assume that I was directly involved at one time or another in getting screwed over by CTD as was clearly evidenced in your previous comments. Seems that you can only get your head around someone being upset with a companies business practices if only they were directly wronged by said company. Don't imagine I'd like it if a friend, family or forum member got screwed over either, but that's just me.

It also seems that my posts were actually quite tame in regards to what now has been offered concerning others experiences, or perhaps I'm assuming incorrectly once again as you'd like to believe.

Here's the kicker........"if you want your last dig". Let me see.........you got personal with your first post, you then assumed I was pizzed at CTD because you thought that I had been screwed over by them in the past and was just trying to disparage them for my own personal satisfaction. You then accuse me of wanting or desiring to take a "last dig" at you!! But in essence, that's the last thing that you want me to do or you wouldn't have tried to cushion such an anticipated response by adding, "in this relatively pleasant exchange of views and perceptions". You're giving yourself waaaaay too much credit in that regard..........

Don't try to put on me what you're all about.........and if you consider that a dig, so be it.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/25/08.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Texasdude29
When Michael Tiney owned Cheaper than Dirt they were a good company to do business with and had great deals. Now that he is gone it is another chapter in rip off the shooter!!!! If you get their catalogs and then try to buy something from them the price has doubled and they claim their supplier has done up or it was a miss print or some chit. The Attorney General of Texas should investigate them for false and misleading advertising, but that is just thought about the way they treat customers.

Here's a page from their current December mail flyer

[Linked Image]

Here's their ad on their internet store

[Linked Image]

These people are nothing more than con artists, I hope no unsuspecting persons get fleeced by them.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I did made some pre-Obama purchases and actually felt a little silly about it (still have a bad taste in my mouth from the AWB). mad

I looked online last week and didn't feel quite as silly.... smirk grin

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't feel to silly about making any pre election purchases, I sure did. Bought a couple new carbines and a lower, or two, and a case of GI mags. I remember the last ban as well, and I wanted to fill the gaps at reasonable market prices before any panic buying set in.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Incredible TH, just simply amazing. And some will no doubt look at that ad and jump all over it thinking that it is a steal of a deal. Perhaps CTD should rename themselves, "Cheaper Than Gold, But Not By Much".......

CTD can ask whatever they so desire for their products and some here seem to truly believe that such practices are more than acceptable, in fact, truly justifiable. Pretty telling about both..........

Nebraska, you and I have communicated on more than one occasion in regards to different AR's/components over the last few years. Whether we discussed a direct correlation between our purchases and the AWB, I can't remember. But, at least for me, it was a prime motivator. My pants weren't totally down, just saggin' a bit (fashionable these days, so what the heck.). But I'll be damned if I was gonna want for anything knowing the likely results of this election. Fool me once...........

Hopefully none of this will come to pass, but I know a few of us will have at least met our own goals (if not exceeded them.....grin) Perhaps a bit more $ has been spent recently as opposed to past years, but at least I know that I wasn't gettin' fleeced in doing so.

As both you and I and others have tried to do in this thread, another forum did for me awhile back and saved me the angst of dealing with such companies as CTD. Ignorance isn't bliss.....it can get darn expensive. Finding out down the road that you were gouged is not a self confidence builder nor does it make for happy, contented people. But hey, if you can make a ton of $ off that one person/deal (even if they never buy from you again), mission accomplished. There will be other totally unaware and honest fish to fry that will come along soon enough, there always is.........evidently.

Take care TH.........great find and a very worthwhile post. Pretty easy to discern the bottom line for CTD as well as their........... "world view in general".

Last edited by magnumb; 11/25/08.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
TH and Nebraska - besides the Obama debacle, the New Year always brings a 10-15% increase in these goods anyway....at least it does routinely in my area. So, whether for real or imagined reasons in regards to what we think might happen politically, it is not bad timing to have made acquisitions prior to the beginning of '09.

If we end up realizing the worst case scenario, we're then really ahead of the game. Can't imagine where hindsite, played as we've been doing, will now be a disadvantage for us.

If nothing else.....misery loves company....grin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1100mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 55 invisible), 19,018 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,979
Posts18,539,974
Members74,052
Most Online21,014

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.