Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Glock aftermarket drop in barrels..... Who makes a accurate and reliable one?

Looking at Storm Lake and KKM barrels, anyone else I should be looking at? Any experience with these two good or bad?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the KKM, I have used 3 of them and use a 40 cal match barrel in my G-20. Have been very pleased with the results.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Add Bar-Sto and Jarvis to the list.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious - why do you wanna replace the stock barrel?

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
Go with the KKM, I have used 3 of them and use a 40 cal match barrel in my G-20. Have been very pleased with the results.

jim..,

The G20 is a 10mm, right? Can you put a 40S&W barrel on it and get it to run? How about .357SIG?

Reason I ask is, I've been thinking about the 10mm but would also like to shoot the cheaper 40S&W - if it will work.

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a Storm Lake in a Glock 20, 10mm.

The reason many may want to put an aftermarket barrel in their Glocks, is that Glocks have incidents of ka-boom's when running reloads due to a not fully supported chamber in the stock Glock barrel. I ran reloads for years in mine, in ignorance of this deficiency, with no exploding guns. I was a bit cavalier about my new knowldge for a short time, until I realized I might be pushing my good fortune, and plunked down the 100-ish bucks for a new barrel. Now I still think about this everytime I shoot my Glock, so an order to Starline will be placed before the end of the year for 1K of 10's. I'm not sure what I'll do when I run through those. Hoping I can sell them off as once fired and pick up another 1K, if the Most Holey One doesn't shut them down with the coal industry.

BTW: the Storm Lake doesn't shoot any better than my stock Glock barrel, but it shot darn good to start with.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As I noted earlier, my knowledge of handguns is pretty limited.

I understand the concept and potential problems with a design that doesn't fully support the case. But how would an aftermarket Glock barrel eliminate or minimize this problem? I'd think any aftermarket barrel would have to be compatible with the basic design and functioning, including extraction.

Just wondering.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outcast, yes the G20 is the 10mm and I have run several thousand rounds of 40 S+W through this gun with out a hitch using the KKM barrel.

[Linked Image]

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Firing .40 S&W in a 10mm chamber is a very, very, bad idea. Don't do it.

A rimless pistol cartridge head spaces off the case mouth in the chamber and is supported at the rear by the breech face. The shorter .40 S$W will do one of two things in the longer 10mm chamber and both are bad news.

- The cartridge will head space off the case mouth, creating a unsupported space between the case head and the breech face. The space is called "standoff". If you're lucky you'll blow a primer, if not, you'll blow the case head.

- The cartridge will head space off the extractor. The firing pin will drive the cartridge forward creating standoff and once again, a blown primer or blown case head is in your future.

In either case, if you're really unlucky, the fired case will be propelled backwards against the breech face and re-seat the extractor. The case will be ejected somewhat normally and fool you into thinking you're not living dangerously.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul,

The infamous Glock kaboom is more of a perfect storm of multiple factors rather than one specific problem. The players are the polygonal rifling, an over-sized chamber, a poorly supported case head, and a tendency to fire slightly out of battery. Glock rolls that way to provide the legendary reliability of the design. Even if a new barrel addresses one of those issues the potential of a kaboom goes away.

Most after market barrels use standard rifling, improve the support of the case head, and tighten up the chamber. None of the improvements are directly related to mechanical function, although in theory the pistol will be less reliable.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, JOG. That makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't be inclined to hotrod or reload for my Glock anyhow. I have other guns more amenable for that sort of thing.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JOG, we are not talking about shooting the 40 S+W in the 10mm barrel, mine is a KKM chambered in 40 S+W and I do agree shooting the 40 in a 10mm barrel is just looking for a major problem

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
JJ

You must be some shooter. I've never been able to outshoot a stock barrel.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
JOG, we are not talking about shooting the 40 S+W in the 10mm barrel, mine is a KKM chambered in 40 S+W and I do agree shooting the 40 in a 10mm barrel is just looking for a major problem

It seems I got lost somewhere along the thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a problem and very wise to point this out in case someone was thinking the same. I have heard fellows talk about shooting the 40 in a 10mm barrel and it is just looking for trouble.
Thanks for pointing it out

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good to know I could drop in a 40 barrel in my 20 and run some cheap ammo. 40 brass is particularly cheap and plentiful. Did you use the 10 mags or do the 40 mags even fit a 20?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Lone Wolf 9X25 Dillon SS 6" ported drop in barrel for my Glock Mod 20. Their barrels are in the $90-115 range. They have a site online. Check out the Glock Talk forum. Good info there for Glock users. Good luck.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RickyD
Good to know I could drop in a 40 barrel in my 20 and run some cheap ammo. 40 brass is particularly cheap and plentiful. Did you use the 10 mags or do the 40 mags even fit a 20?

Let me add, does changing calibers require switching recoil springs, or anything else,as well? Saw a G20 for $649 yesterday, now I'm getting interested.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a G20 fixed sight with 2 15rd 10mm mags last spring from Top Glock through Damn Cheap Guns for $505. I bought a SS after market ported 9X25 Dillon barrel from Lone Wolf for $115. The 9X25 is a 10mm case necked to 9mm that runs 1800 fps. I changed the recoil spring to a heavier 20# captured and SS rod, just to have an extra spring/rod, but I wouldn't have had to. The mags work fine and I bought 4 more 10mm's from CDNN. I don't know about the 40S&W in the 10mm mags. Good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,295 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.