Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
American Gun Co.

If you like the 1885 look, these should be great shooters.

Get close and wack em hard!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
Reloder,.....Welcome to "about normal" with the rest of us.
ss

I can assure you I am not to be compared with "the rest of us". As Merle Haggard said, "I wear my own kind of hat."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wear whatever hat you want, but shooting an Encore and thinking it is as good as a Martini-Hagn is right up there with bragging about a night out with Rosie O'Donnell.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Wear whatever hat you want, but shooting an Encore and thinking it is as good as a Martini-Hagn is right up there with bragging about a night out with Rosie O'Donnell.

smile smile

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you morons will go back and read my original post, you will see that I made no such an assertion.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reloder, you are the one that wrote "tool or toy." Sounded like anyone that spent more than a couple of hundred bucks on a rifle had a "toy." Not my idea of reality.

Look, T/C's are fine for what they are. Some shoot OK. One hole rifles? Maybe not. So do you want to shoot for pink slips against one of my "non" one hole rifles? Say three, five shot groups at 500 meters, best agg. takes the other guy's rifle? Bring several of your T/C's and it will be a long ride home.

Man, its ok, everyone gets excited about their favorite rifle and its capabilities. The thing to remember is that there is always something better out there. Very expensive rifles might not shoot better than the cheap factory stuff, but most of the time they do.

Sorry this thread made you mad, my posts were not intended that way.

Some of the other guys you called "morons" are extremely experienced competitors. Not morons in my book.

SS
j

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would like to take part of that action, in fact I'll make it easy, how bout we do something like that at only 100 yds. I'll use one of my non one hole Traditional Single Shot Rifles, the kind with a two piece stock. No fancy Bolt Action Bench Gun, you use your so called one hole TC toy thing.

We can shoot Bench Rest, for Group, or for Score, you pick it. And to make it even easer lets just shoot two targets, five shots on each one. I just love winning things from guys like you that think they know it all, amd if someone does not go along with them there "morons".
S/S

Edit:
One last thing I forgot to mention, I don't want your TC toy, I wouldn't know what to do with it and it would only be a problem for me to get rid of it.
How bout we do it for real money.
S/S

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sorry guys,
I guess I sort of lost it with this guy, It's obvious he doesn't know much about shooting or rifle accuracy. Guys like him don't deserve a response and it would be best to just ignore him.
S/S

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Singleshot and everyone, its OK for Roloder to get a bit excited about his TC's. Likely he has never laid eyes on a Hagn. I had seen exactly one when I commisioned mine. Martin put me in touch with a kindly old man that was a few hours drive from me and he spent a morning teaching me single shots.

When I was in high school I had a TC, one of those with a broom handle stock in 22lr and 357mag with the choke and man I loved that little pistol. Of all the ones I sold, I'd love to have that one back.

By the way, it looks like I am going to have to re-barrel my Hagn. The 300 win mag is just a tad much recoil for my neck in the state it is in. I have found myself shooting a 257 weatherby in a #1 the last few weeks. If I have Ralf re-pipe my good rifle with a weatherby chamber I can go back to shooting it daily.

Hang in there Reloder, sometimes this is a tough crowd.

SS
J

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
S/S,

I can't recall that I have ever seen a M&H, either. I know I have never even seen a Dakaota 10, either. (Let alone handled one.) blush But like the guy who was looking at yachts, If you have to ask; How Much? then you can't afford it.... And I know they're out of my league. smile I consider myself fortunate to own a cheap $3K double rifle. I guess I'll have to be content with my Ruger #1's...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grasshopper, there are relatively few Hagns out there. Just a tiny market of people that will pay the price; and for a single shot to boot. When Martin and I were discussing my rifle, he mentioned that about 75% of the rifles he builds never get fired. They just go into collections of guys that are super-rich. He was actually quite excited to hear that mine was going to be a daily shooter. Mine has got many miles on it, and when it gets back from Canada with a 257 Weatherby barrel on it in a few months, its going to get a lot more. There are several other guys I know that hunt their Hagns, so it's not like I am the only one by far.

As a side note, have you ever looked at the Hereen action? It is kind of funky looking and is not much on camming a sticky cartridge in the chamber (there is a story behind that) but they have an excellent reputation for durability and strength. I am intrigued by them.

ss

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
SS,

Long have I thought about going quality rather than quantity in my collection. Were I to do that, I'd likely be able to afford one. smile But alas, talking about it and doing it are two different things. blush

For many years I lusted after a Wycliffe '76. When I finally got one, after handling it, I realized it didn't live up to th dream...

As a side note, have you ever looked at the Hereen action? It is kind of funky looking and is not much on camming a sticky cartridge in the chamber (there is a story behind that) but they have an excellent reputation for durability and strength. I am intrigued by them.

I have never heard of the Hereen action... Do you have a link to a website? Or contact info? Thanks...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grasshopper, the Wickliffes were not much better than the Stevens. Solid enough actions but not near the top quality line. Frankly, for factory actions the Rugers are about as good as it gets.

There are a couple of Hereens of different ages for sale on Martini and Hagn's website here:

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/forsale.htm

Don't buy the 270, I want it.

The Hereen was first made around 1880, it is a cool action but is a little weak on camming and extraction, I understand. The story goes that a Mr. Weiss of Hartmann and Weiss had some sort of a failure with a Hereen action on a big hunt somewhere and commisioned Martin Hagn to build a better action. I understand that most of the Hagn actions are actually built by Hartmann and Weiss. They are just an amazing piece of work, that's all I can say.

SS

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Grasshopper, this is what you are looking for
[Linked Image]
.270 Win

Its on the M & H website.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, I told Grasshopper not to buy that Hereen 270 because I want it. What do you think about buying it for me to test for a while?

By the way, if you are headed out here we have a cabin on the ranch for you to stay in. Plan on at least a week or ten days here to hog hunt. There are lots of them here but they are not "canned ham." If you kill one here you have to get right down amoungst them to get it done. They will not make it easy for you.

ss

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sorry, I was creating my reply while you were posting yours.

I have shot one of these Heeren. (Friend has it) It was a most beautiful one in a 9.3 cal. fully engraved with deep relief animals. Heeren's are very "European" in style and really not my cup of tea. I like English or American design style. Your M&H is english too me.

What is the best time of year?

FYI I am going to start a new thread and I hope it will stir some nice discussion. I will show you something that I usually never discuss but it might be fun.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
SS,

You really know how to hurt a guy, don't you? I looked at those rifles in the link and drooled...and drooled...and drooled...

You have no fear about me buying that Hereen .270... That just does not appeal to me. (Thank God!)

But if that Peterlongo .30-06 was anything but an '06, I'd be trying to come up with some serious funds... blush

I had no idea that Herr Hagn and Herr Martini were born in Germany... As I dearly love the Continental styled rifles. I have a M-3000 Mauser in .270 that is being transformed into a Euro-styled Mannlicher carbine by Kevin Widgeon of Williams Gunsight. It should be done in about 12-18 mos...

I spent a very enjoyable 2 hours visiting with writer Deiter Sturm at his shop in Wy last year. It is my plan to have him build me a 9.3x64 on either a Pre'64 or Mauser M-98 action. I just have not decided how serious a rifle it's going to be as yet. blush

I've no idea what the current exchange rate to Canada is, but rifles in the 5 figure range are somewhat too pricey for me to be serious about.

Grasshopper

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
.8093 USD to a CD. or $1000 CD cost $809 USD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, cold weather when the pigs are in my wheat is the best time. Almost right now except it is too dry. What the hell are you going to tease me with now? You know you should have adopted me.

I'll teach you how to hunt them in the dark with one of those big tactical flashlights. Here are a couple of kills:

ss

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It is very tempting. Very tempting. I have time after the new year turn.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.