-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you removed the tip from a TTSX? I tried pulling one from an E-Tip, no go.

I'm sure Barnes has tried it, so maybe bad idea?

Of course the BC would be too low to work on game.

I am actually being serious. I should load a few....

Comparison.

150 E-Tip/tip broken off-------168TSX------detipped 168TTSX and tip------loaded for bear
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only way to know for sure would be to try them. Before trying them on game, I would try them on a stack of newspapers or thick phone books. I believe Mule Deer uses something like this.

My opinion is that the TTSX with the tip removed would act like a very rapidly expanding TSX. It might be okay for deer or pronghorn, but it might not have enough penetration on larger game, although it should make a severe wound channel. Whether the wound channel would be deep enough and long enough on larger animals is another question.

I, for one, think that BC is way over rated. Round balls and short round nose large diameter bullets worked on everything from rabbits to elephant a hundred or more years ago, before anyone ever heard of Ballistic Co-efficient.

As far as I'm concerned, if the bullet I want to use has a poor BC, I will just aim a little higher or sight in for a longer distance.

Back to the TTSX with the tip removed, I think it would act like a souped up hollow point.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet they would be wicked on deer.

Screw Corlokts....grin

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
The should shoot as well as they did with their tips. I've experimented with Ballistic Tips a fair amount and clipping, bending or removing the tips never changed accuracy at all.

Messing with the bases is a whole different ballgame. One file mark and you lose accuracy.

Obviously, the bullets will not be as ballistically "slick" and expansion will probably be quite a bit more violent. They would also be useful in some of the short action magazine boxes, ones that are challenged when it comes to OAL.

Heck, I'd shoot them. I'll bet that the kill the crap out of furry things. grin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for answering Steve. I really appreciate the information here.

I haven't shot any of the 168TTSX's yet. Muzzle velocity should be around 3000-3100fps.

COL should be interesting with a WSM.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would the expansion be quicker/more violent without the tip, than with the tip pushing back into the same hole?

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I don't know if the expansion would be quicker/more violent, but
I think that the plastic tip as an expansion initiator makes the bullet expand more reliably over a wider range of conditions than pure HPs that rely on some type of hydrostatic initiation. I have had HPs vary more in terminal performance, from Wow to very so-so, on larger varmints than any lead SP or polymer tip. I have no experience with HPs made for big game but it would be interesting to find out on deer.

"We deal in lead - friend"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no idea.

Phonebooks...

grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper
The should shoot as well as they did with their tips. I've experimented with Ballistic Tips a fair amount and clipping, bending or removing the tips never changed accuracy at all.

Messing with the bases is a whole different ballgame. One file mark and you lose accuracy.

Obviously, the bullets will not be as ballistically "slick" and expansion will probably be quite a bit more violent. They would also be useful in some of the short action magazine boxes, ones that are challenged when it comes to OAL.

Heck, I'd shoot them. I'll bet that the kill the crap out of furry things. grin

Steve

+1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Why would the expansion be quicker/more violent without the tip, than with the tip pushing back into the same hole?

I was wondering the same thing. I was under the impression that the tip was intended to promote expansion (or that it was a horrible, awful thing because it created complete expansion when meeting with the resistance provided by air, causing it to arrive at the animal fully expanded with the result that it would merely bounce off.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dunno if this helps, but if you pull the tip out of a 6.5 95 grain VMAX that is scheduled for a flight into a gopher at 3200 FPS, it does in fact make for a much nastier explosion.

But then thats as Apples to Oranges as I can think of... I wouldn't think it would make a whole hell of a lot of difference on a TTSX.

I would think pulling the tips on the TTSXs would be a winner for calibers like the 350 RM. From what I can gather about that case, you need a short blunt pill so the ogive isn't inside the neck. Or you could just make it short ala Sam...

Why can't you just run a Partition like the rest of us Sam???

It's going to be a long winter...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sam, while you are doing the phonebook tests, load up a few backasswards to see if penetration improves........ Don't forget to yank the tips. No need for barrel fouling plastic residue.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Looks similar t the 150gr TSX flatpoint that I used in my .307 this year. HUGE hollowpoint, I thought it would be explosive, actually was a bit dissapointed, not as destructive as I had imagined

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Why can't you just run a Partition like the rest of us Sam???

It's going to be a long winter...

I'm shooting Partitions out of it right now Dan.
I cant get close to the lands with the TSX/TTSX so I started thinking. Dangerous I know.

Knocking the tip off gains about .180". Of course they might shoot fine with the tip.

Like you said it's looking to be a long, long winter.

I'll keep that in mind Don....grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,860
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.