Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
My father immigrated to the Great USA in the year of 1961, when he landed in Portland, Oregon, his sponsor Fred, who we the kids call "grandpa freddy" was an avid sportsman. Taught my dad english, found him a job, and made my dad to who he is today. My dad started his first job at a deli shop making bacon, ham and the usually deli meats. His boss there, Carl, knew Grandpa Freddy quite well. One day after work, Carl asked if my dad can give him a hand at home, he had shot a deer and needed some help butchering. When my dad got to his place, He saw all sorts of game heads. It was then my dad saw his first north american deer, hanging inside of Carl's garage. "It's a deer, a blacktail deer." Carl told my dad. After they butchered the deer Grandpa Freddy came by and picked my dad up. My dad told Carl and Freddy, "I use to hunt wild pigs, water baffalo, and tigers back in China, I sure miss hunting, okay if you take me out?" Carl and Freddy smiled and happily showed my dad the ropes. "You got a rifle?" Ask Carl. "No, back in China we used bamboo crossbows and spears." Then off they went to the local sporting goods store. Grandpa Freddy and Carl gave numerous rifles for my dad to shoulder and try out. After handling almost 30 rifles, all three decided on a bolt action .270 winchester with a fixed 4xpower Bausch and Lomb. Since that year my dad has been killing deer and feeding the family.

It was in the year 1984 when My dad moved to Stockton, CA and established here. He hunted pigs, upland game bird, waterfowl and did a lot of fishing. Work got in the way and he only hunted deer 2 days of the 30 day season. Still, he always gets a deer. I was born in the year 1986, and he taught me how to hunt when I was 12. My brother, was 18 at the time and my younger brother 10. Every year we would go deer hunt. My dad had aquired more rifles by this time, 4 to be exact. A 30-30 lever, a 30-06 auto, a custom 700 .308 and that old bolt action 270. My brother always wanted to carry the 30-06 as that thing can put 5 shots into a nickel at 100. My younger brother, being a small fellow, always wanted the 30-30. And my dad would never let anyone touch his custom 700 .308. So I carried the old bolt action .270. Over my teenage years I shifted into ballgames, girlsfriends, and parties. I stopped hunting from the age of 16 until I was 19. During college I made a few friends that were die hard deer hunters. They insisted I go deer hunt with them that season. I agreed. Being a poor college kid, I stopped by my Dad's place. My dad had told me my brother took the 30-30, and Uncle Houng took the 30-06 auto, and I can't touch his custom 700. So I grabbed that old .270 bolt rifle like I have been. That night, me and the guys headed to the hills and into deer camp. The next morning we decided to sight in our rifles. Everyone popped out their customs synthetic stocked sniper rifles with big huge high powered scopes shooting only cartridges that has the word magnum all over it. Everyone was sighted dead @ 200. Then the guys ask what I shoot. "It's a bolt action .270 win," I said. Everyone laughed. "What model?" they asked. Being the kid who only knows how to shoot and hunt deer, but know nothing of his particular gun, and never even bothered to look at the brand name after all those years of hunting with it, I simply said I don't know. They insisted I let them see it. I went to my truck and in a old canvas gun case I pulled the rifle out. When I turned around the guys and thier old man just stared at the rifle in awe. "let me see that, WOW, OOOOOOHHHHHH, SWWWWEEEEETTTT, OH MY!," everyone yelled. I'm like what? what is so good about this old gun? Everyone explained to me that the manufacturer doesn't make the gun anymore and it is one fine damn gun. They made fun of me how I never knew it was a peice of fine hunting equipment. One guy even asked me to sell it for $2500. When they handed me back the rifle, I looked on the side of the reciever, it said WINCHESTER. On the barrel it was stamped MODEL 70 .270 WCF. And on the floorplate, SUPERGRADE. It was a 1950 model, in super clean condition. For so many years nobody wanted to hunt with it, ever since that day, it's been with me. But my dad still says I need to return it to it rightful owners. I am still kissing his butt, hopefully he will pass it on to me one day. Yeesterday, my dad stopped by my place. We had a few drinks and chatted a bit. He told me I should go look in my gun safe, I got a weird feeling and went to checked it out. I opened my safe, and the first thing that caught my eye was a red ribbon and a card that read. "Merry Christmas You little rascal." That ribbon and card was attached to that old rifle that nobody wanted to hunt with.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great Story!!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep a good one for the season

don't matter a whit, but you mentioned dad hunting in China, is he in fact Chinese?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool!

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great story! Rare treasures for the unknowing!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
yep a good one for the season

don't matter a whit, but you mentioned dad hunting in China, is he in fact Chinese?

Yes he is Chinese, Cantonese to be exact. My mother is Thai. Makes me a chinthai

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
That is a great story.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is a great story! And one hellofa rifle!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That is a great story!! Congrats on getting one of the best rifles ever made for a christmas present, sounds like your grandpa freddy and carl really helped your Dad get a good gun when he wanted to start out hunting here in the US.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wonderful story.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
VK...awesome story! The bond with your Dad will moisten the eye as my dad has long since checked out of this place.

And here is the true caveat...Your Dad comes to this country, GETS A JOB, learns the language, and raises a family! Never lose sight of that!
Where I live, (and not all but a lot!), I see people come here, have no desire to work, shuffle around the streets being less than productive, multiply like rabbits, and get on the Government teet! It PO's me to no end as my grandparents came here and became friggin' millworkers to support their families!

OK...that was my soapbox Archie Bunker moment...I feel better.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story - I would rather read stories like this than all the discussions (even though I enjoy them) on what brand rifle or what cartridge to kill whitetails, etc. Congratulations on receiving one of your families treasures - you obviously have a fine Father.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great story. Even cooler dad!!!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
good story

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow. If the Supergrade is the rifle that nobody wanted, makes me wonder just what the .308 is!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1!!!

Great story VK.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great story - you do realize that the rifle must never leave your family, right?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for sharing.......humbled me and made me feel your pride all at the same time. Wish you many more happy seasons with your rifle and your Dad...

elkjaeger

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wonderful story, wonderful rifle. Glad it's still in the family.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would love to see a photo of that rifle!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.