Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've read enough threads about Kepplinger set triggers to know that those who have them seem to love them. I keep hearing "great trigger" and "buy one and you'll want more." I have two Ruger #1s. One is a #1V in .22-250 and the other is a #1B in .270 Winchester. The triggers break at 3.25 and 4.25 lbs respectively. I'm considering buying a Keppinger (or two) but for the cost I'd hope to find it to be the perfect trigger. So here's the one detail that I'm curious about. How wide is the trigger? I like the wide flat surface of the stock Ruger trigger. Is the Kepplinger anything like it?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine are back in the safe and I don't think I could get a caliper to measure accuratly. They are not quite as wide as the stock Ruger trigger, but are rounded with a conture that feels good to me. Best way to describe it is a slight convex form , a bit more curve and slimmer than stock.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I dont know of anyone that does not like the Kepplinger trigger
but I'm sure there will be someone that doesnt. The Kepp trigger is about .280 and the Ruger trigger is about .300. The Kepp is so much better that it could be .150 and you would never notice the difference when shooting.
S/S

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jkingrph and SS pretty much said everything I would have said. Buy one and install it in your 1V. In your varmint rifle I think you�ll wonder how you ever lived without it. After you get use to the feel of the trigger, I think you�ll see an improvement in your 300 + yard hits per shots ratio.

F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the information. It sounds like it's of similar proportion and superior in all other ways.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
IC B2

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put a Kepplinger in my 22-250 Number 1, and figured out that I don't really like single set triggers. Even my CZs now get standard triggers.

A good trigger job will get you a nice light, crisp trigger without having to set anything. I use a Moulds speed hammer with the notch recut and Moyers trigger. The hardest part of the installation is getting the safety cut right. That just takes time and patience.

YMMV

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Like I said, there will always be someone that does not like the Kepp trigger, and it's usually because it was not set up correctly. If it's set up the right way it can be used in the un-set position "safely" for a very nice light crisp let off of about 1.5 pounds on up to about 3 pounds, in the set position you can get it down to about 3 to 5 oz. "safely". The best your going to do with a Moyers trigger is about 2 + pounds and up, "safely".

For some guys a 2 + pound trigger is like heaven, but if you do a lot of shooting it seems that the "nice" trigger wont last, after a few + hundred rounds it will get sloppy and lose it's nice feel, been there done that a long, long, time ago.

The reason is because the Moyers trigger is nothing but a copy of the old Ruger # 1 type 2 trigger, that means it's still a linked trigger with two pins holding a link between the trigger and the sear.

It's ok for the guy that goes to the range or hunting a few + times a year, but one of the BIG things about the Kepp trigger is that it's linkless, the trigger is in direct contact with the sear, no links, no pins, makes for a much better trigger, set or un-set.

For what ever reason some just don't like a set trigger of any type, all I can say is if you have one and don't like it, just don't set it, use it un-set, but when you want to make some long precision shots the set feature sure comes in handy.

The original Ruger # 1 type 1 trigger back in the late 1960's was linkless and that was a great trigger, it was fully adjustable and it seems it would hold it's setting forever, but as far as I know the Kepp trigger is the only linkless trigger system on the market for the Ruger # 1 today.
S/S

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not installed one on my No 1's yet, but did put one on an intermediate Yugo converted to a 240 Weatherby. Very very sweet indeed. Between several other rifles that have double sets and an Anschutz with a 1 ounce 2 stage unit, I'm rapidly becoming intolerant of factory fodder. That being, and it's going to take some time, I'm reworking or replacing triggers on all but a couple of my classic units that I won't shoot anyway.

I equate this effort to living with a sore back for 15 years and finally buying a really fine mattress set for the bed that cures everything. I really had no idea how bad some stock triggers were until I got my first set trigger.

I have #1 7mm Rem Mag that has adjusted down nicely and is adequately crisp. My 1V in 22-250 is horrid. I can't get it any lighter with the external adjustments, and the travel before light off is extremely annoying. It shoots very well, but it seriously tests my patience when I'm trying to stack up the holes off the bench. It will be the next rework and will get a Kepplinger. When I get that done I'll rip into the stock take-off unit and see if there is anything in there that a lay person can tackle.

Presently from the outside the #1 trigger assemblies scare me. I'm afraid to go in for fear that springs and parts will come flying out and I won't be able to get things back with my fat fingers. Has anyone here ripped into the stock triggers and worked them successfully? If so, I'd like to hear if it's a serious hassle or not. Thanks, 1Minute

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If what you have is a # 1 made after 1980 you have what is called a two screw trigger, IMO it's not worth the time and trouble to have someone work on it. The bad part is that if you or some gunsmith screws it up Ruger will NOT sell trigger parts.

If your happy with a 2 + lb trigger go with the Moyers for about $ 50., It's not the best trigger out there but it's a lot better than the two screw. It's a copy of the old Ruger three screw trigger and easy to install for most guys.
S/S

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I took a trigger shoe off of another rifle I had that I rarely use anymore and put it on the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger I had my gunsmith install on my Ruger #1 International (ala "RSI") which made the already very light set trigger feel even lighter.

Now that I've installed the trigger shoe on the Single Set trigger, it goes off so easily that I dare not even "touch" the trigger until I'm ready to shoot because the trigger can be fired so easily now that I have put the wide trigger shoe on the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger.

Buying a NEW trigger shoe is an expensive deal now due to previous legal decisions in injury cases involving trigger shoes. This is why only one kind of trigger shoe is basically "available" and that cost is about $30 or so.

I believe it was Midway or Cheaper-Than-Dirt (both on line) that had the $30 trigger shoe for sale. When I bought mine 40 or more years ago, I believe they were about 50� or maybe a dollar plus some change... but nothing like the price the ONLY kind available now costs (which is ridiculously high).

If you decide to get the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger, I don't believe you'll be sorry you did. As far as needing the trigger shoe on the Kepplinger Trigger, I don't believe it is really as "necessary" as it is "nice" to have. But that choice is your's.

But either way, I know you'll really like the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger !~!~! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's the advantage of a trigger shoe?

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by prostrate8
What's the advantage of a trigger shoe?

It makes the trigger "feel" lighter, really does not change the pull, just spreads the pull over a larger area.

Ron-T,
If you have your trigger set so light that you dare not even
"touch" it, it's set to light. I know you like shooting small groups, but if you cant put your finger on the trigger and feel it because your afraid it may go off you can not control it.
You must be able to "feel" the trigger to control the trigger.
S/S

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Single Shot...

I CAN put my finger "on" the trigger, but I dare not put ANY pressure on the single set trigger ("sst") because I've set it off accidently while "adjusting" (aka "moving") my finger slightly while it was "on" the sst.

Of course, you must realize I'm still "getting use" to the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger as well as getting use to the factory single set trigger on the new CZ453 in .22 rimfire I recently purchased to pass the time (shooting 5-shot groups) between shots with my Ruger #1 International in 7x57. ... and that is a real consideration because of the considerable difference in trigger pressure between 3 lb triggers on most of my rifles that I've been use to for a half a century.

I'm sure that once I get use to the single set triggers, I won't have the same problem, but for now... I've found not touching the sst is the best way to eliminate any possible "accidental" discharge which ruin the "group" I'm shooting because it isn't as well-aimed a shot as the other shots which are carefully aimed off a rifle rest supporting sandbags on both the rifle rest and on which I rest the rifle with sandbags at the toe of the stock.

This all started with my desire to have a single set trigger on my Ruger #1 International... and found that the Ruger's barrel, surrounded by the Mannlicher type stock, heated up with just one round and accuracy then "went south". However, if I allowed the #1's barrel to cool off, it shot very good groups.

Before I had my gunsmith install the Kepplinger Single Set Trigger, my best 3-shot groups (at 50 yards) were .176 inches using 47.2 grains of H4350 behind a 140 grain Sierra flat-based, Pro-Hunter bullet sparked by a standard Winchester primer in "accurized" Remington cases with the bullet seated out to within 10/1000ths of the rifling.

The next best group (before installing the Kepplingler SST) was .179 inches using 47.6 grains of H4350 with the same (above) components/specifications.

I decided to buy the Kepplinger SST to "improve" those groups, but so far, that hasn't happened because I'm not use to the Kepplinger SST yet.

Once I had the Kepplinger SST on the RSI, I found it BORING to sit there waiting for the RSI's barrel to cool down, so I bought a CZ453 "varmint" .22 rimfire because I wanted something with a single set trigger to help me get use to the single set trigger and something to pass the time between shots with the RSI (aka "Ruger #1 International") which could be as long as 12-15 minutes between shots during 85� summer days with the rifle sitting in the direct sunlight.

In addition... I got to thinking that with the ever-rising prices of ammo, I figured it would be a smart move to have an extremely accurate rifle (the CZ453) that shot relatively cheap .22 rimfire ammo.

Now, after getting all involved with the CZ453, I'm finding out that there is a whole "world-of-interest" and specialization in shooting .22 rimfire rifles which can product great accuracy within the caliber's range.

As a result, I've purchased 29 different brands/types of .22 rimfire ammo to find "THE" most accurate brand/type at a "reasonable" price.

I've found that my particular CZ453 with it's single set trigger and heavy, floating, hammer-forged barrel has a "champagne" taste... being VERY accuate with the expensive "match" ammo like Eley Tenex (15� to 20� per .22 rimfire shot depending where you buy it and when it's available) and the less expensive (but still 10� per shot) Wolf Match Target ammo (Russian brand ammo made in Germany).

Now I'm into researching the best accuracy with a "given" amount of inch/pounds on the action's screws, deciding whether or not to have my gunsmith "square" the action, "true" the action screws by inserting steel "slugs" in the stock against which to tighten the actions screws, fiber-glass bed the action and keep the heavy barrel floating to further improve the little rifle's already half-a-minute's accuracy with "cheap" (CCI Blazer ammo- 3� a shot) and less than .25-a-minute's accuracy with expensive "match" ammo.

Eventually, I get this all "worked out" on the CZ and get back to "working up" accuracy loads on the little Ruger #1 RSI. Meanwhile, deer season came around again and I had to "work up" a new hunting load for my Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage... (WHEW!!!).

It's been a "busy" several months............... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ron-T,
You said;

"I CAN put my finger "on" the trigger, but I dare not put ANY pressure on the single set trigger ("sst") because I've set it off accidently while "adjusting" (aka "moving") my finger slightly while it was "on" the sst"

If you set it off accidently while touching the trigger it's set to light for you at this point, raise it up some in weight till you can feel the trigger by putting some preasure on it without setting it off, maybe 10 oz. or so, and work with it, in other words, crawl befoure to try and walk, and of course you should walk befoure you try an run.

I've been useing set triggers for about 40 years and if for any reason it gets away from you on a bench you need to jack it up and work with it till you can "feel" the trigger and more or less "play" with it without setting it off. You can do this at home without even cocking the gun, just set the trigger and work with it. When you can "play" with it without setting it off lighten it up a few oz's and work with it some more. Belive me when I say this is the best way to get used to set triggers.
S/S

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good point, Single Shot... and "Thank You" for offering your help and obvious knowledge & expertise to this "newbie-in-single-set-triggers". smile

In fact, that is exactly what I've done... sitting in my rocker/recliner watching TV... setting, then pulling the trigger on the single set triggers (without cocking the rifle) of the two rifles (the RSI and the CZ453)... and it truly has helped me to get acclaimated to the "feel" of the SST's. A winter of doing it will surely improve my "feel" of the single set triggers. grin

There's some "quality-feel" difference between the sweet Kepplinger Single Set Trigger and the sst on the CZ453 as there should be considering the cost differential... but with practice, I'll be able to overcome that "difference" between the two rifles' single set triggers since I'll normally be shooting them together, one after the other.

But shooting is mostly over for me for now... it's too cold at the bench-rest for these old bones. But Spring is coming... after Old Man Winter has HIS "fun" !~!~! wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Ron T.
I also know all about "old bones" and "cold winters" but don't have any easy ways to correct the problems.
S/S

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The "problem" is easily corrected, S/S... merely wait for a WARM Spring day... grin

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Installed my first Kepplinger on a .204 1V just a short time ago. It's nice, but I don't think it's worth $279 and I don't really care for the overtravel of the set trigger.

Tom

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.