Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I'm right there with you. grin

Travis

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The biggest ego trip I have ever had during my knifemaking was when I made a knife similar to a Randall No. 7 from a file.

I was on vacation in Florida one year, and I had a chance to go by the Randall shop. I had the knife with me and showed it to Mr. Randall. I had mirror polished it and he asked me several questions about how I made the knife and how I polished it.

He then said that if I ever started using a good steel, he would like to have one. So, I went home, ordered some D2, and made a knife for Mr. Randall.

I didn't sell it to him, but offered to trade it for one of his, which he agreed to do.

As far as I know, the knife I made for him is still in his museum.

Unfortunately, a few years later, because of financial difficulties, I had to sell the Randall.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I'll give you an even bigger ego trip and let you build ME a knife. grin

Just kidding. That's a cool story.

Travis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love Randall knives. I have a #23 with a beautiful stag handle. The wait is way too long. Mostly because people order them and resell them creating a huge backlog that wouldn't otherwise exist. I guess I'm part of the problem because I bought my #23 from one of those dealers. I don't have the patience to wait years. I suppose that 5yrs from now I'll wonder why I didn't just order one....I sort of like seeing the various configurations that the dealers come up with. I'm not very creative when it comes things like that.

I would like to have a #1 in 6" with a nickel silver hilt and butt cap with either a nice micarta or leather handle. I also like the #2 boot knife, but I saw a Jimmy Lile that I would prefer in that style. I also like the #18 with the hollow handle and also the #8 Trout and Bird.

When I started posting on the Randall blog, they said that these knives could get addictive, now I sort of understand what they meant.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I think I'm gonna order a couple more, so yeah, I'd say they're addicitive.

Travis

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a friend who had Mr Randall make a knife for him in the early 60s. He cut out a pattern in 1/4 inch plywood and sent it to Randall. The knife has a 16" blade and you can put 2 hands on the handle. It is a copy of a Roman sword.
I took this knife to the Blade Show in Atlanta a few years ago and had several offers to buy the knife. My friend paid $100 in the 60s and I was offered $5000 for the knife.
My wife gave me My first Randall for an anniversity present. It is a #5 with the stag handle. We bought it at the shop in the early 70s and paid $135.
Randalls are great knives and really hold their value.

Coach

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone should own at least one Randall. I've used one of their camp and trail knives for the last 24 years and have not one complaint. I've got a few on order; a couple of 25's for my two sons and a couple of pathfinders all scheduled for delivery in 2011 and 2012. Damn, it's a long wait, but the boys are only 2 & 4 so there's no hurry.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have seen and handled most of the top name maker's knives at knife shows and in collections.

Of all the knives I have seen and looked at, I like the Randall best of all.

I am not a collector, except for some of my own that I made that were so ugly no one would buy them, but if I did start collecting and had deep pockets, Randalls would be the only ones I would care about having.

There is just something about a Randall that when you pick it up, you don't want to put it down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Randall I mentioned a few days ago showed up on the Big Brown truck today.
Boy its a beauty.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Gotta love that Brown Santa huh Mannlicher?

Travis

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Just got mine today. It is a #25 Trapper model with stag and brass cap. It is of very good quality and very sharp, well worth the 4 year wait.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the RMK bug for a bit....the first 4 are #1's, then a #16, then a #26. They're good knives.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
That is a nice pic Brad.

Does that #16 have the "Border Patrol" handle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nice set of Randals. looks like you used them too. hey whats the story on the sog?

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1911a1
nice set of Randals. looks like you used them too. hey whats the story on the sog?

I'd make a RMK collector cringe...I use them. (grin) My favorite in that pic the model #1 with the Black Micarta Handle. It was a gift from my dad when I came home from Basic Training. I carried it with me for 4 years as a grunt and used it for everything.

My uncle was in the 5th SFG in RVN '70-'71. and was issued 2 sterile SOG Bowies upon arrival. He came home from that and wanted nothing to do with them, Both were given to my dad and I ended up with them. They are the real thing and as you know, they are pretty hard to come by and I've been offered some ridiculous sums of money for them, the other is in new as issued condidtion.....The one in the picture was well "used". I also have the first Beret he was issued when he graduated his SF training.....he doesn't know it, but the one he used will be put in his casket with him when that time comes, I can't think of a better place for it to end up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
That is a nice pic Brad.

Thank you. You're correct it's a Black Micarta Border Patrol handle.

Sadly I'll probably never own another Randall, I can't deal with the wait times and I can't afford some of the prices they bring when private indiduals offer them for sale. Enjoy your new knives gentlemen!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that really a neat family history story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nice knife. post a pic if you can.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Originally Posted by deflave
That is a nice pic Brad.

Thank you. You're correct it's a Black Micarta Border Patrol handle.

Sadly I'll probably never own another Randall, I can't deal with the wait times and I can't afford some of the prices they bring when private indiduals offer them for sale. Enjoy your new knives gentlemen!!!!!

I have a total of twelve Randalls in my collection and like you, I use(d) them quite a lot...I carried a Bear bowie and a Number 2 while on duty and the others, mostly hunting blades, on game animals...

The wait can be reduced to "Next day delivery" by going through major knife brokers who have standing orders for their knives...As long as you're not overly picky to handle material or shape you can get them from A.G. Russell or any of a number of large (virtual) retailers...

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks
if you make certain inanimate objects illegal
their criminal misuse will disappear!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,631
Posts18,512,079
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.