Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
love my Buckmark!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like em, I love playin with my MKIII's !!!!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by passport; 11/26/08.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
anyone try that Walter 22? It looks nice, but seems to have had a problem or two. The Browning Challenger is a good looking gun. Again I have no idea about 22 handguns, I have not had one for so long and they have changed so much.

The Walther doesn't have much of a reputation for reliability.

The Browning Buckmark Challange (I assume that's what you referred to, since the current model has no "r" in the name), is a great pistol, so long as you realize that it doesn't interchange many parts (such as barrels and sights, but it does use the same mag) with the standard Buckmark design. I have had one since they first came out, and it's still one of my favorite pistols. It's great for training young and/or female shooters, because of it's smaller grip and light weight - but it's also a good shooter for any adult. And the price ain't bad. I've had thousands of rounds through mine with not one problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love my Woodsman MTs....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a Ruger Mark II - This is a lightweight target model, the T514, with 5 1/4" bbl:

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
I like the Browning BuckMark Micro Standard 4" with the URX grips...

+1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

There a bunch to choose from -

Sig Mosquito -
Browning Buckmark
Browning Splash
P22

Are all very good choices. I have 10,000 rounds through a Sig Mosquito, excellent pistol. The Walther P22 later manufacture are excellent, accurate pistols. Tough to beat a Buckmark.

As for wheel guns, Smith Wesson Model 18 and the Ruger Single Six are great options.

smile

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

KMK678GC MKII with Nikon 2x scope. I liked the trigger out of the box but I have since polished the sear and notch and smoothed everything up.......very nice. The second pistol with the dot sight belongs to my friend and member here Agoetz2005.

It is what you learn after you know it all that is important.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice MK II's Vincent, I have owned many Myself and would love to find a NIB Mk II Competition model, I currently own a MK III and I hate the loaded chamber indicator and the magazine disconnect feature. I can't remember, does the MK II have the magazine disconnect feature? I don't think it does..............547.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yep been adicted to .22's for YEARS. Currently have a Semi Custom Ruger MKIII 22/45 4" Bull Barrel.

[Linked Image]

Goodies added include:
Grip Modification with Hogue Rubber, Finger Groove 1911 Grips
Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger
Volquartsen Custom Ruger Target Sear
Polished Factory Hammer
HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight (I prefer the Green insert)

However when I really want to shoot itty, bitty groups of holes in paper or get really serious about shooting Gophers at distances beyond what I can do with open sights I dig out my T/C Stainless-Steel Contender Handgun.

[Linked Image]

This one wears a T/C Factory Stainless-Steel Super 14" .22 LR Match Barrel. The 3x12x Burris LER Plex-PA Handgun Scope has been sent back to Burris to have the AO modified so it will eliminate Parallax at the reduced distance of our Indoor Shooting Range. This T/C shooters tighter groups than ANY .22 LR Rifle I have ever had.

There have been a lot of other .22 LR Handguns here over the years, some I really regret selling.

Larry

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm partial to the Gemtech OASIS on a 22/45 frame.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love the MkII Gov't models myself! I almost purchased a SS one a few years back, but found on Ruger's website that they had made a limited run of them blued. I was able to track one down after a month of searching, calling, etc., but would still like a SS one to keep it company!

[Linked Image]

I made a couple of small mod's when I got it - Volquartzen sear and a "blast shield" to keep the burnt powder, etc. out of the trigger area. Also it now has a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6X pistol scope on it. It's a blast to shoot!!!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Under $400? Where are you finding one for that price, I'd be interested.

I'm your Huckleberry. -Tombstone

Time flies like the Wind. Fruit flies like Bananas! -Unknown
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Ruger..

Yep. I likey the Rugers, too.

I just had to have one of these slabside Govt. models & finally got one a couple of years ago. I like the MKII which doesnt have the extra hole in the receiver, but that's just my personal preference. MKIII's seem to be great, as well.

Here's an outstanding resource for all things rimfire. Really helpful people there, as well. Rimfire Central Link
[Linked Image]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I picked up a Walther P22 for my sone when he was still pretty small (8 or so) and what I liked about it is the grip can be modified for a small hand or with the included insert can be sized up for larger hands. Its a nice light little gun and shoots well but we have had some occasional jams shooting lead tip bullets.

I also have an old high standard that will flat drive tacks.

I'm your Huckleberry. -Tombstone

Time flies like the Wind. Fruit flies like Bananas! -Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Larry,

How difficult was the grip mod on your Ruger? It looks nice.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Larry,

How difficult was the grip mod on your Ruger? It looks nice.

I actually had a local gunsmith buddy of mine do mine. From what Roger told me it wasn't too hard, and that the hardest part was getting the raised molded in portions of the grip frame milled down flat. He told me this stuff is HARD. He ended up using a couple different rasps and files to get it milled down. From then on he told me it was EASY. He drilled the holes for the Grip Screw Bushings slightly undersized and used the bushings to cut threads in the grip frame. He then said he removed the screws, coated the threads with JB Weld and screwed them back in.

The grip modification totally changed the feel of this great little handgun. I used the Hogues but from what I have read on the net any grip panels for a 1911 will fit on the MKIII 22/45 once the grip frame has been modified. (Note on the MKII 22/45 the shorter Officers Model 1911 Grips are required as that grip frame is slightly shorter than the MKIII).

When I acquired this little Ruger I wanted a Holster Gun. Just so happens that by readjusting the trigger guard tension screw on my Uncle Mikes KYDEX Paddle Holster that I have for my Kimber 1911 this little Ruger almost fits in it like it was made for it.

Larry

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got, at last count, eight .22 handguns. There's not one in the bunch that I don't like. The one that gets the most use these days is the Walther P22. It is accurate all out of proportion to it's size/configuration/cost. I hear about reliability problems, but I have never had any with this one. Most of the ammo I put through it is Federal bulk from Walmart. I will go through a box of 550 fast enough to get the gun hot. I carry it in a pocket or a plastic belt holster when working on the farm. It gets filthy sometimes when doing field work. I've put several thousand rounds through it and have never cleaned it. At one point, when I'd realized how much I'd shot it without cleaning I just figured I'd let it go until it stopped, then strip it down for a clean-up and lube. Well, it hasn't stopped yet. I went by Gander Mountain yesterday, saw they had them on sale for $249. If they're anything like mine that's a bargain.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yup.....whenever I go to the range, I always bring along my Ruger Single Six, 9.5 inch barrel. Rugged, accurate and just a whole lot of fun to shoot. I have put the magnum cylinder in while out in the desert, and have been able to take two coyotes with it at about 50 yards give or take. It always goes with me, no matter what else I am packing. If you can get a hold of one, I really like the Colt Woodsman target model for an auto.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10Glocks, 160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,305
Posts18,526,062
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.