Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello All.

I recently picked up this Marlin Marauder in .30-30 and would like to put a scope on it for Deer hunting. I want to put something compact to keep with the idea of the gun, light and quick.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/Marlin%20Marauder/new026.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/Marlin%20Marauder/new027.jpg[/img]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[would like to put a scope on it for Deer hunting. I want to put something compact to keep with the idea of the gun, light and quick.]

JMO, but putting a scope on a nice, trim carbine like that will negate anything to do with light & quick.

There's NOTHING quicker & lighter than the issue iron sights, so if you have vision problems, why not try illuminated (fiber optic) sights, or a ghost ring/peep like the Skinner ?

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use the XS on a few of my Savage 99's and love it. (Pics below of my 99E in .243 with the XS Ghost Ring). I know that they make the XS for the 336 also.

What is a Skinner???

Thanks, Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

Save A Tree. Wipe Your Butt With A Liberal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice carbine. For leverguns I like something w/ a 20mm objective like the scope above. For me that means a Leup 1-4x20 or a 1.5-5x20. For less coin, think Weaver V3 1-3x20mm.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
burris 2-7 compac would be a good suggestion.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Hey Mike, I'm glad you found a Marauder, it takes the pressure off me to sell you my .35 Marauder! LOL!

If I were to change the very poor factory sights, I would go with a Williams 5D and a small bead front sight. Your gun has an aftermarket rear sight and the front sight may be smaller than factory. If you look down the sights and the front sight looks smaller than a basket ball, someone wisely already changed the front sight.

Because of the barrel length, I consider it primarily a short range arm so magnification is not the issue. If you must put a scope on, I'd recommend a Weaver K2.5 60-B or a Redfield or leupold single power of comparable power. These should all be 8 ounces or less. Go with the original Weaver rings and base, also, for light weight. Because of the lightness and shortness of this carbine, I feel it's critical to keep the weight of the optics down so as not to ruin the excellent handling qualities.

Have fun with the Marauder, they're just a super handy, fun to have gun!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Actually, I think there is a Weaver K1.5 for sale in the Classifieds. As long as that is one of the light weight Weavers, that would probably be ideal for a Marauder!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2593159/page/2#Post2593159

Last edited by XLTFX4; 12/18/08. Reason: added link

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The smallest lightest quality scope you can get for your rifle is a Leupould 2.5X compact. I had one on my Marlin Marauder 35 before I had to sell it. With Warne Maxima bases and Weaver low rings, it was a perfect setup, and remainded very light and handy despite the addition of the scope.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the help guys.

Would any of you have a picture of a Marauder with a scope?

I do not want to invest the cash and then not even like the way it looks...!!!

I hunt with a 1923 Savage 99G, .300 sav. with a tang peep sight so the ghost ring set up just might be the way to go, but I was hoping to put some glass on this one!!!

Thanks in advance, Mike...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image]

This came up when I googled it.

Save A Tree. Wipe Your Butt With A Liberal.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
WOW... Two things about that picture just ain't right.

1) That is not a Marauder

2) A big scope like that sure does make for one BUTT UGLY rifle!!!

Mike...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Absolutely right - that pic above is NOT a marauder
(pic from my own website)- a fake discussed there -
http://35cal.com/rep.html
BUT this is the real deal;
Ready to hunt - my 35Rem Marauder scoped with
Simmons 2.5X fixed shotgun model - weaver medium rings/bases.
No hammer spur needed with almost 6" eye relief.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whelen_B; 12/30/08.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice...

Thanks for the idea...

That set-up Sure does look good...

Thanks, Mike...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That rifle is begging for one of these Weavers ;

[Linked Image]

L-R K3 60B , K3 60B , V4.5 , V4.5W , V4.5W with post

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Of that selection, the only ones I would suggest would be the K3-60B models because there ARE relatively light. The v4.5 and the V4.5W's are grotesquely heavy (14.75- 15 oz!).

It's amazing how a heavy scope can ruin the handling of a light rifle and how a light scope can improve the handling of a heavy rifle.

I used a 1975 vintage Redfield Widefield on my latest rifle because the scope weighs 8 oz. What an improvement in handling from a similar vintage Weaver K2.5.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I already have this Beautiful Weaver V4.5 Duplex, but it really is on the heavy side for the balance of the rifle. I did find a scope, a newer scope, that I am going to try out. I should have it in a few days. I will post pictures when it is mounted. It might just suit my needs!!!

Thanks, Mike...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The top gun is an 1894 in .44 with a Weaver 2.5x.
The bottom gun is a 16" 336 LTS 30-30 with a Weaver V3 1x3.

Personally I think the Weaver V3 is perfect for the Maruader.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Sorry to burst your bubble but an LTS is NOT a Marauder, it's an LTS. It may be similar but similar is not the same.

Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NYSRPA Life member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,471
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.