Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mac84 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which way to roll? Need something for my AR, close up and personal stuff.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only own, and have ever used, an Eotech, and it's not as if I'm a soldier or ever used it for shooting at people or anything.

I like my Eotech a lot. It's rugged, has a wide field of view, it's economical, it secures firmly yet comes on and off with little hassle and no loss of zero, and it gets long battery life from common low cost batteries. They now offer a 3x magnifier if one is so inclined.

Last edited by Ivan; 12/17/08.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Both are good quality and good design. Personally, I like the Aimpoint better myself. I can't like the reticles in the EOTECs for some reason. My son-in-law has one that keeps gobbling batteries. They look crude to me but they are very robust and do what they are supposed to.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Battery life is significantly greater on the Aimpoint, so much so it really isn't a comparison. I have an EOTech on my 9mm AR, and an Aimpoint on one of my M4's. The EOTech is a decent optic, but I prefer the Aimpoint. I don't care for the position of the controls on the EOTech, but I understand the newer models may have them on the side. Also, if you have even a hint of an astigmatism, you will hate the EOTech reticle.

You can actually get 3x magnifiers for either optic. In fact, I bought a knock-off 3x that works just as well for either optic.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The EOTech is not nearly as reliable as the Aimpoint. Reference the recent recall of SOCOM optics, and known tracking issues.

I roll with a T-1 that I have had turned on since last June. I will change the battery every time I have a birthday and my age is an even number. On full size Aimpoint I will change the battery every time I vote for a President.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mac I like the view thru the Eotech better as I have some astigmatism in my eye makeing the 2 MOA aimpoint dot eliptical and fuzzy. That said I went with the aimpoint it is a proven fact that this optic is more reliable and has longer lasting batteries. I guess it depends on what you want?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Do any of you have the Aimpoint Comp M4 or Comp M4s? Any preference for the battery tube being high or low?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mac84
Which way to roll? Need something for my AR, close up and personal stuff.

Mac,

I know that the Aimpoints are excellent, but I don't own one.
I do have two EOTech's however. I have the models that run on two "AA" batteries and use Lithium's for longer life. I've never had a problem with short battery life. The "N" cell models do have a battery life issue.
One thing that I think is important and that is the EOTech's are true Holo sights, and the Aimpoints are Red Dot's. The EOTech's are parallax free from 22 yards to infinity, while the Red Dots will have some parallax.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WHAT Aimpoint? There's the tiny but very reliable AP Microsight H1 as well, which guarantees about 50.000 hours of battery life.

Aimpoint are no laser class devices, nevertheless they are practically parallax free (double lens principle).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How will it be used?

I absolutely love using my Eotech 553. Huge FOV, clear, distortion free glass (can't tell it has glass in it at all), the reticle is brilliantly fast (I doubt I'm as fast with anything else) and precise at the same time and the "bottom of the ring" is very handy increasing fast precision in the 7-10 yd range. This model uses 123's and battery life has been fantastic.

That said, it's not my first choice for HD use (if that's what you were meaning by "up close and personal." The simple fact it needs to be turned on first puts it at a disadvantage. The buttons on the back mean you're reaching around the BUIS sort of awkwardly (depending upon where you mount it) and the fact you need to makes me feel having BUIS ready to go is even more important. You can�t just pick it up, point and shoot. That's where a sight you can turn on and simply leave on for years is in a whole different category.

Another option you may not have considered if you like the huge FOV and feel of the Eotech is the new Trijicon 1X42 RX30. It�s not too pricey either. There's a bit of distortion and a blue hint hue to the glass (not bad, you don�t really notice it when in use, but compared to the fantastic Eotech it�s there) and of course the dot isn�t as good for me as the Eotech reticle�but it�s always on. Always. And this one doesn�t even have batteries to replace. It automatically adjusts very well being really bright in sunlight but not overpowering in the dark. Anyway, it�s another option for that type of use.

IC B3

Mac84 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"That said, it's not my first choice for HD use (if that's what you were meaning by "up close and personal." The simple fact it needs to be turned on first puts it at a disadvantage. The buttons on the back mean you're reaching around the BUIS sort of awkwardly (depending upon where you mount it) and the fact you need to makes me feel having BUIS ready to go is even more important. You can�t just pick it up, point and shoot. That's where a sight you can turn on and simply leave on for years is in a whole different category."

Good points. Only BUIS have never been that for me, they've always been primary. smile I've never run optics on my AR or MP 5 but work with guys who completely rely on them. Scary.

I'm thinking co-witnessed with the buis.

I Burn While I See
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"field of view" is totaly unlimited with the Aimpoint (or eo-tech) if shot right. I don't know how to explain it but the best thing is to shoot your Aimpoint with the front cover closed. Your left eye sees the target and your brain superimposes what your right eye sees (the dot) on the target. Very fast and surprisingly accurate. Once you see how it works open the front cover and never worry about FOV again.

Battery life and durability go to the Aimpoint.
interesting videos about aimpoints.
http://www.downrange.tv/show2/

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Do any of you have the Aimpoint Comp M4 or Comp M4s? Any preference for the battery tube being high or low?

I believe that if u plan on using a magnifier u can get it much closer with the high battery tube , just what i read over at m-4 carbine.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

I see guys who put their life on the line using these items as follows:

LEO's = EOTech

Military = Aimpoint.

This makes sense as LEO's have nvery short ranges to target and mission length as compared to Military users.

Thus the Eotech pluses (large field of view) and minuses (Battery) are not a big issue for LEOs. (At least the guys I have spoken with).

The Battery is a BIG issue of you might be 30 days without resupply. Aimpoins also are better if the range gets over 100 yards.

These are considerations in the Hindu Kush that don't really apply in South Central LA.

Two very good tools.

Two very different niches.

Good Shooting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are many foreign Armies in Europe who had selected the EOTech's for their main battel rifles, the 552 model. With "AA" batteries, you can leave the sight turned on without fear of having the batteries die on you. There is an automatic shut down with the EOTech's if left on, unused, for a period of time, and I don't recall what that time is, maybe 6 hours.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Mac84 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think you're right as far as who uses what. I can't see how the aimpoint is better at longer ranges especially with the 4moa dot. That dot takes up a lot of space on the target the further out you get.

I can't friggen decide! grin

I Burn While I See
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The eotechs are tanks compared to aimpoints. I've used both as well as the acog at thunderranch, gunsite and during battles on deployements. Never seen an eotech go down but have seen way to many aimpoints go belly up. Plus the shield around the eotech really works. The extra red on the reticle is definately faster up close and longist shots are still fine with the middle dot. One of my teammates will not use an eotech he loves the aimpoint. That's one out of dozon that have their pick. Just don't forget to always use back up iron sights whenever you use glass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To shoot the Aimpoint at longer ranges you really have to turn down the light intesity. I believe the dot is way to big for presicion work much past 200M. 300+ meter shots are very doable with the eotech and you can use the outer circle for longer range references (hash mark).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more point. I had a 3x magnifier on the larue flip down mount this past year. After a while I just took it off. Just too much mounted on the rifle. A couple of my pards did use theirs all year.

Mac84 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Rogue et all.

I Burn While I See
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 22 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,518
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.