Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm getting set to load for my 450/400 and am going to be using 80gr of H4831; I've got a 8lb keg of H4831sc left over from another project, is it interchangeable with the standard H4831?

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/21/08.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks, I like the sc version better as it meters nearly as well as ball powders. Stick powders bridge badly in my Hornady powder measure.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Yes.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes and No , when you get to max load the Standard 4831 will sometimes show more pressure in some cases than the SC version due to powder density

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting, what cartridges have you noticed this in? I'm loading for a single shot, but if there are pressure differences then it would show up when loading for double rifles. A task which, if I'm lucky, I'll have to deal with in a year or two grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I ran some examples in QuickLoad as a check. Not that QuickLoad is perfect in every sense, but the maximums for H4831 and H3831SC were different.

IMO, it would be better to work up your loads again. Generally, benchrest shooters have to work up loads again just from different characteristics in different LOT #'s of powder.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally can't give you a example because i don't have the equipment to actually measure the pressures. The Ballistic Programs give different pressure for the same load between the two. I was referred to this sight concerning the 6.5-284 I'm getting ready to build. The powders they recommend are H4350 and H4831 Standard and SC and the people who shoot the 1000 yard matches say to work up depending on where you are using SC or Standard due the loading density of the different size granules.
http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
QuickLoad is a very rough "what might happen." Please do not pay any attention to it for anything like this. In fact, it's stated very firmly in the directions (which very few people read, evidently) that QL is definitely no substitute for actual pressure-tested loading data.

Maybe there is some difference between the powders for 1000-yard target shooting, but not for any hunting application--except maybe between different lots of powder. What one will do the other will do, except SC will go through a powder measure much more easily and accurately.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 12/21/08.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
QuickLoad is a very rough "what might happen." Please do not pay any attention to it for anything like this. In fact, it's stated very firmly in the directions (which very few people read, evidently) that QL is definitely no substitute for actual pressure-tested loading data.

No doubt... but in this instance, I see QL results as a red flag as to whether or not the two powders are interchangeable. In essence, if QL says no, then I'm not just going to throw one powder in the hopper in place of the other. I guess that's my personal opinion on it anyway.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For actual field condition when hunting i just don't believe there is any real difference in taking or killing a big game animal when the vel is 2800, 2900 or 3000 fps as long as you use a decent bullet and put it in the chest. Either version of 4831 will get it done using the same exact load. It would be hard to over load with either in the 06 case.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bob Hodgdon told me face to face they were interchangeable. I think I'll trust Bob.

On the other hand you can't be too careful so I recommend ya da ya da....

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AI_fool

No doubt... but in this instance, I see QL results as a red flag as to whether or not the two powders are interchangeable. In essence, if QL says no, then I'm not just going to throw one powder in the hopper in place of the other. I guess that's my personal opinion on it anyway.

I think that is a orange flag, not a red one and orange doesn't count
Hogdon Powder Company Say's that they are interchangeable and IMHO that trumps Quick Load

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I think that is a orange flag, not a red one and orange doesn't count
Hogdon Powder Company Say's that they are interchangeable and IMHO that trumps Quick Load

And anyone else!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Volume and wgt are two different things when discussing powder. Personally I would not open a new bottle of a new lot of powder and just dump it in the hopper without a wgt check.

I`ve used both and see no difference other then that I`ve experianced with changing lots. Doesn`t mean I know there is no difference, just that I haven`t seen one.YMMV

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Yes and No , when you get to max load the Standard 4831 will sometimes show more pressure in some cases than the SC version due to powder density

Could you not be observing the inevitable lot-to-lot variation?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thankfully, I don't have to live by what Hodgdon says, but by what I can do for myself.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[/quote]

Could you not be observing the inevitable lot-to-lot variation? [/quote]

That would be my only concern and precaution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes it could be a lot to lot variation but long gr's verse short gr's still have their difference in load density. Where this actually make a pressure difference it would take pressure measuring equipment to really tell you. This might be a good project for Johnny B. and C. Sisk to follow up on for one of his excellent articles.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Yes it could be a lot to lot variation but long gr's verse short gr's still have their difference in load density. Where this actually make a pressure difference it would take pressure measuring equipment to really tell you. This might be a good project for Johnny B. and C. Sisk to follow up on for one of his excellent articles.

Perhaps Hodgdon has already done so wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.