Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Bob, you could...just 3000 - 5000 repetitions will ingrain the new "ranging, knob-turning high-tech" hunting methods! smile

magnumdood: I thought when I hit my 50's, I'd have more time....these days I have LESS grin I'm not sure I have 3000-5000 repetitions of ANYTHING left in me. But I understand your point and it's well taken.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Since you insist. I've learned that there are folks who post here that either don't understnd, or aren't aware of, eye box differences or their worth to a hunter. So any eye box testing of an S&B vs. a Leupold would have to be done by me.

Arrogant, sanctimonious, pompous jerk; I wouldn�t trust you to test how many of my turds floated in a given week.

Originally Posted by goalie
Again, you have no idea who I am or what I have done with a rifle and scope.

Never stopped him before; he doesn�t care. He thinks he knows more about rifles and scopes than anyone.

Assuming that everyone other than yourself is an idiot in regards to optics might be why you are actually the one ill-informed.

Everyone he argues with tells him the same thing.

I would imagine that you would refuse information provided to you, regardless of the source, if said information did not agree with your preconceived notions about how optics work.

You know all you need to know about him.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That very much reminds me of a fella we picked up at the airport about 5 years ago. He was coming in to W TX to hunt sandhills mule deer, and showed up with a Weatherby 30-378 wearing a Leupy 6-24 varmint type scope with all the bells and whistles. From the moment we met him he bragged about his rig, and shooting abilities. To make a long story short, he shot 26 times in 4 days, all clean misses from 75-350 yards. To say he "flinched" would be an understatement. I'd almost call it a seizure while pulling the trigger. He didn't get shots off quick enough at least 7-8 times because he was screwin' around with those turrets, or having his scope turned to 24x trying to shoot at a deer 75 yards away. We finally told him he was done, never mind he didn't kill a buck, and told him to not bother to come back.

How much did he pay for your services?

$3000

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JonA
I don�t care what they claim, nobody going through 26 rounds or 60 rounds between two to fill a tag are competent with any rifle in any circumstance by any stretch of the definition. Stories about them sure do make for good anecdotes though--especially when they happen to be using gear for which one doesn�t approve.

Stories about the �One box a year� guys who use that entire box every year to fill a single tag with Grandpa�s �06 and whatever scope happened to be the cheapest in the Sears and Robuck catelog 40 years ago (even if it is a *GASP* fixed 4X or 6X) just aren�t nearly as entertaining. I guess maybe there are no people like that where you guys hunt. Maybe every slob hunter where you guys hunt has a $800 or $1000+ scope on his rifle?

If we could only be so lucky. That would eliminate about 95% of them in my neck of the woods.

I don't really care what they show up with, as long as they are proficient with it. That was my point. My son hunted the same ranch with my old Marlin 336 30-30 once, and again with a 7-08. My nephew took 6 shots over 2 days to kill one. 26 shots in 4 days don't cut it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The flip side to the mule deer hunt was some fellas from Pennsylvania who came out here hunting free-range aoudad. They were machinists by trade, and had thumbhole stocked 300WSM's with turrets they had made themselves (by the way they were competition shooters too). We eventually approached a big ram with one of the hunters while trying to figure how to get closer, ranged it, and told the guy it was 570 yards. His reply was "this is fine right here". We looked at him like he was crazy of course, as big aoudad rams weigh 300lbs or so. With little wind, we agreed to let him shoot. He dropped the ram with one shot. We stood there amazed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the Williansport boys hunt with there 1000 yard rifles.
We practice with our 300 WMs and S&Bs every year out to 700.
Pa is a big rifle state.Lots of guys stretch it out here.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
These Pa guys knew what they were doing for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like Bob, I seem to be (happily) stuck in the past. My first rifle was a Rem 660 in .308 which I fitted with a Weaver 3x scope. I'm not ashamed to admit that I still have that combination. The scope is anything but bright, and of course has no turrets, but it has never prevented me (or my youngest son, who now uses it) from taking all kinds of BC game. I know that almost any mid- to higher-end scope would give me a better sight picture, but I just can't bring myself to change the original set-up, and as I said, I don't think that it's ever hindered me.

I sight in as per JOC, for the longest distance without causing mid-range misses, and I've/we've taken game at ranges up to 300 yards, which under ordinary field conditions,is the limit of my ability.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
They practice every year out to 700 and 1000 yds., so they know what they are doing ?
Not what I've seen. Big difference between making a 20-40 yd. shot in heavy cover on a running animal and making one at 500 yds. plus. Big difference between carrying a rifle that goes 6.5-7.5 lbs. all up and one that is very muzzle heavy and weighs 10.5-14 lbs. Particularly if you need to hike a few miles and climb a few 1000 ft.
I've done enough hunting and shooting to know that those that prepare for one, but not the other, are making a mistake. The bucks/bulls or whatever never seem to read my game plan.
I'm convinced that the trick is to know what to expect where you hunt and practice for that. Usually that means a mixture of both close and longer shots. I don't know about others, but the toughest shots I get are those which are up close, and in a hurry on a running animal. For that, a good 4X has it all. I can and have made shots well over 400 yds with one. Frankly, I find those much easier to make than the close range quick shots. That's why my rifles are designed to better handle those kinds of shots rather than the longer ones.
One more thing. Practice is fine. But trying to find ways to practice under pressure, say against stop watch, is much more realistic when it comes to real world hunting. That's where you learn that no matter how much you practice with the complicated stuff, the same effort put into the simplier setups pays off better.
The only exception I'm aware of would be things like really long shots. If you really need the capability to make 500-800 yd shots, then you probably should pack the extra gear. I, for one, have decided that only under the rarest circumstances would I consider anything over 400 yds for big game. Why ? I have yet to find anyone who can judge the tricky winds that blow in the mountains. Those that hunt things like Pronghorn or deer on flat land don't have that problem. While I've hunted in such places, I don't do it regularly so my choice are geared towards the simple and very flexible gear. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They practice every year out to 700 and 1000 yds., so they know what they are doing ?
Not what I've seen. E

I'm not one to normally say, "Have you been here or done that", but I doubt that you have ever been to Willimsport to watch what those guys/girls do at long range. It is a local obsession with the shooting crowd. There are a lot more than a few that will place 10 shots in a 5-7in circle at 1000 on a regular basis. I think the record is currently around 2.5in.

It's a big world out there and it obviously extends way beyond your little location and what you have seen.

Last edited by battue; 12/24/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Deleted

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That very much reminds me of a fella we picked up at the airport about 5 years ago. He was coming in to W TX to hunt sandhills mule deer, and showed up with a Weatherby 30-378 wearing a Leupy 6-24 varmint type scope with all the bells and whistles. From the moment we met him he bragged about his rig, and shooting abilities. To make a long story short, he shot 26 times in 4 days, all clean misses from 75-350 yards. To say he "flinched" would be an understatement. I'd almost call it a seizure while pulling the trigger. He didn't get shots off quick enough at least 7-8 times because he was screwin' around with those turrets, or having his scope turned to 24x trying to shoot at a deer 75 yards away. We finally told him he was done, never mind he didn't kill a buck, and told him to not bother to come back.

JG,

You really told someone who paid you $3000.00 to leave and not come back? My understanding of the guide business (A limited understanding I readily admit) is that a lot of your customer base is generated by word-of-mouth. Do you think that guy is going to recommend you to anyone else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not what I've seen.

Really? I guess they should NOT practice?!?!?! Anyhow, your statement: "not what I've seen" is a logical fallacy.

Big difference between making a 20-40 yd. shot in heavy cover on a running animal and making one at 500 yds. plus.

Wow, that is some amazing wisdom. Of course, you jumped in and replied to a posting about someone taking LONG shots. I love herring. Red is my favorite.....

Big difference between carrying a rifle that goes 6.5-7.5 lbs. all up and one that is very muzzle heavy and weighs 10.5-14 lbs. Particularly if you need to hike a few miles and climb a few 1000 ft.

The herring is tasting better and better......

I've done enough hunting and shooting to know that those that prepare for one, but not the other, are making a mistake. The bucks/bulls or whatever never seem to read my game plan.

I'll even tell you the name of the logical fallacy you are using here: false dichotomy. You are very welcome. Oh, and feel free to do what a SMART hunter would do: prepare for BOTH.

I'm convinced that the trick is to know what to expect where you hunt and practice for that. Usually that means a mixture of both close and longer shots. I don't know about others, but the toughest shots I get are those which are up close, and in a hurry on a running animal. For that, a good 4X has it all. I can and have made shots well over 400 yds with one. Frankly, I find those much easier to make than the close range quick shots. That's why my rifles are designed to better handle those kinds of shots rather than the longer ones.

Actually, at really close running game, lower power than 4x would be ideal. That might be why some guys hunting stuff that will eat you put things like the Nightforce 1-4x24 or the Leupold 1.5-5x20 or the S&B 1.1-4x24 on their rifles......

One more thing. Practice is fine. But trying to find ways to practice under pressure, say against stop watch, is much more realistic when it comes to real world hunting. That's where you learn that no matter how much you practice with the complicated stuff, the same effort put into the simplier setups pays off better.

I like how you assume other people don't create stress while practicing.

FWIW, when I was in the corps, we had fixed 10x Leupold scopes. I guess they didn't hear from you, because they now have variable S&B scopes, so they are wasting their "simple" practice time on that "complicated stuff."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I like how you assume other people don't create stress while practicing.

FWIW, when I was in the corps, we had fixed 10x Leupold scopes. I guess they didn't hear from you, because they now have variable S&B scopes, so they are wasting their "simple" practice time on that "complicated stuff."

I was amazed by that as well. ERRORcus is actually arrogant enough to believe he invented stress training while performing all levels of firearm use, from loading, to malfunction clearance to actual shooting - accurately.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's funny. I understood that the USMC used Unertl (Sp ?) 10X scopes. The Army uses the Leupold Mk.4 10X.
I'm not trying to say that the good folks back east don't know how to make long shots. I was saying, in so many words, that they assumed that they would doing that out here in the far west when they come out to hunt. The best rifle for use out here would be a heavy tactical rifle, wearing a fancy scope. One that they can not only rapidly adjust the focus, but the parallax, the magnification, the elevation and the windage etc.
With some conditioning, they will be able to carry it over ridges, down and up the other side of canyons, etc. When it comes time to make that all important shot, they will deploy the bipod on their 13 lb. wonder and amazed the local yokels who have only been doing this all of their lives with basic sporters and 4X scopes.
If they happen to hunt in a very few, wide open flat areas, for either deer or Pronghorn, they might pull it off. But for the bulk of western hunting, they aren't well equipped. As for conditioning, most of us learn that the more you insist on carrying, the less you will walk and the less you will be able to deal with whatever oportunities you get. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/25/08.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'm not trying to say that the good folks back east don't know how to make long shots. I was saying, in so many words, that they assumed that they would doing that out here in the far west when they come out to hunt. The best rifle for use out here would be a heavy tactical rifle, wearing a fancy scope. One that they can not only rapidly adjust the focus, but the parallax, the magnification, the elevation and the windage etc.
With some conditioning, they will be able to carry it over ridges, down and up the other side of canyons, etc. When it comes time to make that all important shot, they will deploy the bipod on their 13 lb. wonder and amazed the local yokels who have only been doing this all of their lives with basic sporters and 4X scopes.
E

I have literally known at least 50 Eastern individuals who have gone on Western hunts of all types. NONE have fit your stereotype
of carrying or wanting to carry a "13lb wonder." Now I'm sure it has happened, but I'm also sure it is the exception and not the norm. I think the only one assuming-or is it fabricating-anything is you.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue

I'm not trying...their lives with basic sporters and 4X scopes.
E

I have literally known at least 50 Eastern individuals who have gone on Western hunts of all types. NONE have fit your stereotype
of carrying or wanting to carry a "13lb wonder." Now I'm sure it has happened, but I'm also sure it is the exception and not the norm. I think the only one assuming-or is it fabricating-anything is you.

He's fabricating, or in more common language, he's lying.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...As for conditioning, most of us learn that the more you insist on carrying, the less you will walk and the less you will be able to deal with whatever oportunities you get. E

Oh! You're a conditioning expert too!? Please, tell us about your off-season conditioning program.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's funny. I understood that the USMC used Unertl (Sp ?) 10X scopes. The Army uses the Leupold Mk.4 10X.

All I know is what we had. Fixed 10x. Now they use a variable S&B. Again, they must not have asked YOU how to train, because they are wasting their time with that complicated stuff when, according to you, they should ditch the variable and stick to training simple.....

As for conditioning, most of us learn that the more you insist on carrying, the less you will walk and the less you will be able to deal with whatever oportunities you get. E

Well, you might be quite the stud, but, considering that I did OK in the Madison, WI Ironman triathlon this year, I doubt if you should be giving me conditioning advice. I would put a lot of money on me being able to hump your ass into the grave in the mountains bub. A LOT of money. But, you don't know me from Adam, and I don't know you, so I won't be surprised when you act like nobody but you knows anything about conditioning either....

http://www.nasports.com/results/results.php

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...As for conditioning, most of us learn that the more you insist on carrying, the less you will walk and the less you will be able to deal with whatever oportunities you get. E

Oh! You're a conditioning expert too!? Please, tell us about your off-season conditioning program.

He might not, but I will. I commute by bike from Minnetonka in to Minneapolis 4-5 days a week all year. I biked over 4k miles last year, ran over 800 miles, completed several triathlons, including an Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon) and do light weights 3 times weekly. I also play hockey twice a week in the winter and once a week in the summer. I play in the Minnesota NHL alumni charity games as one of their goalies.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goalie; 12/25/08.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 14 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,839
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.