Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
smle Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just watched my christmas present "Death Hunt" with Charles Bronson, it looked like he had a Savage 99 'A', not sure of calibre but he slayed anyone who came near him ,it seems the Winchester 94,30/30 and the smle .303's were no match for the 99! Lee Marvin had a bolt rifle not sure of make maybe a Krag? The Savage 99 model 99A I have will get a bit more interest now! Does anyone know how to find out about the guns used in the movie?

cheers
Steve

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very Cool Charles Bronson was a "God's Country" Guy born in PA

My daughter Julie says Hi to the Campfire.

May have everyone have a Blessed Christmas.

CR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish her a merry christmas from minnesota smile

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Is there a thread or site on the differences of the movie from reality? Among the ones I detected: Bronson's dark looks to the real Johnson's blue-eyed and blonde-haired appearance, Lee Marvin's character living and the real mountie dying, etc.
A 2nd question: What other Model 99 movies are there?
I enjoyed reading the earlier threads, thanks for posting them Like2Shoot.
I like the part in the movie where he digs out a shooting pit and one of the pursuers discovers it, much to his surprise. Is it true? (my bonus question)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Finished reading "The Mad Trapper of Rat River" a month ago. The author spent a lot of time digging into the identity of the trapper, and believes he has identified him. There is a lot of interesting information and pictures in the book.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There was an old Clint Eastwood movie "Joe Kidd" I think
were one character uses a 99. Tommy Lee Jones made a movie
a couple of years ago that I cant think of the name of right
now, and there is a 99 in a scene or two. Supposedly
Tommy Lee Jones collects Savage 99s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It was 'The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.' I liked the moview a lot. Beautiful scenary. There was a Savage used in the film, but it was used by a Sheriff trying to shoot Tommy Lee's character (the actor was Dwight Yoakam). Tommy carried a Winchester '94 .30/30 carbine in the movie. Too bad he didn't carry a Savage - you'd think he would have if it is true that he collects '99's wink

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Boltman:
You are correct sir, I just dug the movie out of the dvd
pile and put it in the player!

S
smle Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for the leads on the books, I thought the 99 was a early A , A similar themed movie is "Bad Blood " with Jack Thompson set in New Zealand , a farmer kills 7 people basically because the army take his rifles for the war effort but this sends him "off" and a massive man hunt ensues , set in 1941? The Army, Air Force, Police, volunteers search for him quite a few early rifles in the movie.

steve

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks Like2Shoot for 99 movie references and clips. I didn't know most of them.
The books also sound good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres a good pic of Brobson. Looks like an EG [img][IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/tsgt22/DeathHunt.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by Chip; 12/26/08.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigolddave
Finished reading "The Mad Trapper of Rat River" a month ago. The author spent a lot of time digging into the identity of the trapper, and believes he has identified him. There is a lot of interesting information and pictures in the book.

this is subject I have done a lot of reading on. I enjoyed the "Mad Trapper Of Rat River, and no other piece of reading better describes the manhunt, but I was never convinced looking at the death picture and those of Johnny Johnson that they resembled each other.

I found a website that a guy put up who has an alternative theory as to the identity of Albert Johnson, and his time line, his idea of who Johnson was, and why he acted as he did, make much more sense. He even puts a picture of Sigvald Haaskjold up against the death photo and it is much more believable that this is a match. He even has a theory as to why the name Albert Johnson was chose by the Mad Trapper.

At the end of North's book it explains that the Indians where Johnson is buried would not give him permission to dig up Johnson for DNA to confrim his theory..well guess what? Money talks.

A Canadian Discovery Channel offered a bit more money that North did and the Indians had a change of heart. The station has asked anyone who believes they are decedents of Albert Johnson to submit a DNA sample, and now they are withholding the results until their TV special is finished and aired, and the results of any matches would be disclosed then. Sounds like there is a good chance if North's theories (Johnny Johnson) or Mark Fremmelid theories (Sigvald Haaskjold) hold truth, we will find out down the road. After taking in both theories my money rides on Sigvald Haaskjold

Mad Trapper DNA News

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a thread or site on the differences of the movie from reality?

Enjoy the movie, then forget about it having to do with anything about the real event. Can't even stay it strayed from the facts, it is two different stories with characters sharing the same names...really.

Buy the North book, it is a great read about the incident, you won't be able to set it down. The movie misrepresents who lived, who died, who was good, who was bad.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I remember Martin Sheen as a pyscho, thrill-killer in "Badlands" using a 99, and asking a shopkeeper if he had any ".300" Sav ammo.
Karl

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Lookie Here...!!! grin grin grin

Mike...

[Linked Image]

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey I think Martin Sheen's rifle maybe an R ?
check out the forearm

plab

Gotta love them 303's
R
R
My only wish is that my Dad had had the foresight to buy two in Wyoming in 1952, then I'd be cherishing more than the one .300 99 I have from him. I take a lot of heat from my pards for still shooting with iron sights, but they know the difference when they get close to camp after a day carrying their scoped heavy weights and then see blood under my fingernails!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, arky65, 300_savage, anothergun, 11 invisible), 16,838 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,196
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.