Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Shrapnel;
Thanks for the story of the elk hunt and the photo.

As a guy who grew up hunting in Saskatchewan, I can relate to hunting in cold conditions, but after a couple dozen years here in a warmer part of BC, I can�t say I�d like to go back to hunting in conditions that cold.

I�d like to send a tip of the hat your way for taking the young fellows along, whoever they might be. It�s good to see young folks out hunting, so thanks.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Hey Shrapnel
Thanks for sharing. Did you folks kill them with modern rifles or did you take out one of your classic rifles?

Originally Posted by labsandelk
Thanks for the photos. Good looking elk too.
More info on the guns, new or old?
Phil

We used modern rifles: My son shoots a Remington 700 stainless in 300 Ultra Mag, I have a Sako Deluxe in 300 Weatherby. When it comes to elk and turkeys, I don't mess around with a chancy situation and I always take the most gun I can.

I have shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-50 elk, and I can never get over the urgency of killing one whenever I encounter them. I don't know why, but with elk, I leave nothing to chance.

I will admit I am an opportunist as well, I will always shoot the first legal animal I see. I always hear guys say they passed up one hoping for something bigger or better, but not me. I have shot everything from a 17 year old cow to a 385 bull, every one of them was where the opportunity first presented itself.

Originally Posted by BC30cal
Mr. Shrapnel;
Thanks for the story of the elk hunt and the photo.
I�d like to send a tip of the hat your way for taking the young fellows along, whoever they might be. It�s good to see young folks out hunting, so thanks.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Regards,
Dwayne

The young men are my 2 sons, Jesse, 25, and Reid, 27. They were able to drag the 2 elk to the truck over some rough country in very little time, while Mark and I sat in the truck and stayed warm. I call them slave-boy 1; Slave-boy 2. I am glad they still like to go with me as we spent their entire youth in the woods doing these things together.

Jesse learned enough about the outdoors that when he graduated from high school, he spent his first summer guiding fly fishing on the Madison River. Reid stayed in school and became a civil engineer and works for the Forest Service in Alaska, so he can work in the outdoors. I get the benefit of going to Alaska and hunting and fishing with him there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Shrapnel;
Very cool that your boys hunt with you still, shows success on several levels to me. Well done sir!

Merry Christmas and all the best in '09.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jeez Brad, what's wrong with a guy getting a pat on the back? It's like he's in court or something...........

Joseph

Joseph
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
hey, guys! new to site, but not to elk hunting; where are you guys in pic? guys

Mike Walker
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Have done the cold hunting. Lived in Northwest Colorado for 24 years and killed many, many elk. My favorite hunts were the days that started in the 30'2 and progressed to the 50's with lots of sunshine. But I wasn't picky - no matter what the weather I wanted to be out there hunting. I think that the coldest was on Christmas Day in 1987 when we killed four elk (on depredation tags) and it was -30 F. Cleaning was miserable. We were in 3' of very fluffy powder snow and were able to drive to within winch distance. Truly an adventure.

On another hunt, it was -18 F and my firing pin wouldn't travel fast enough to ignite the primer. It would dimple the primer, but it wouldn't fire. So that night I stripped the firing pin apart and cleaned all the lub off and the next morning in -24 F temp it worked fine. Lots of learning in cold country.

I really enjoyed hearing all of the comments and stories on this topic. Thanks to everyone - refreshes fond memories.

Merry Christmas and God Bless to all!

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

SD Hunter
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.