Print Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 1,842 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I had to laugh Stan, you couldn't just ease into it could ya? Nope, straight to the big gun!! LOL

Good for you, very glad to hear.

Something clever here.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WABO,Deer season closes Jan.1st.

Dave,LOL.Yeah I figured if anything was gonna give then "Boomer" would show it up quicker.Besides I just HAD to try out his new glasses.

Stan

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 12/27/08.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave I'm thinking there is room in the freezer now. If the wind weren't blowing so hard I would have been out today!

Keith

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You darn ole Wapiti hunters, I ENVY YOU... Been a dream of mine to go and I've had a bugle since I was 12, now here I am at 37 and still have not been. By Golly I'm going to set down the foot and make sure it happens within a year or two Max... Oh the Beloved sounds of the Bugle I've heard so many times on the tube..

Stan, is there any chance your going to try out that new glass on a deer yet this year? If not my friend just think you'll have the joy of buying even more new gear before next season opens for the trying out..lol.. Yep I chuckled myself when you posted about shooting the Big Thunder first, You are a Mans Man you know....!!!! I've heard those kick worse then a 12 ga slug??? Been considering getting a 45-70 Marlin too, either that or a matched set of 44mag or 357mag lever and hip gun..

Still trying to remember how I post pics here again, I finally got the pig my bro in law took downloaded. Now just getting it added here..lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wabo,"Boomer" is not a Marlin although I do have a Marlin 1895 in 45/70."Boomer" is an NEF Handi rifle.Amazingly accurate.
If you do buy a Marlin you'll love it.There's just something about a lever gun with a big azz hole in the barrel.BUT...there's also something special feeling about a single shot.

Stan

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 12/28/08.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Keith, the first thing I did this morning wa toss a shoulder blade roast cut from this years cow elk in a crock pot with carrots, celery, onion, some red tators, can of beef broth & I let it go all day while I worked on the new fish house in the garage.

just finished eating, man that was good.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave....Building a house for your fish huh? and they said I was crazy! grin Sure elk roast rub it in buddy! I am having moose steak tonight so there phbbbtt! Going to go elk hunting this week since I am burning vacation time! You would think I would have been smart enough to use all my vacation during hunting season BUT I wanted to stay married!

wabo...don't put it off, just go!!!!!! However, the fun ends when you pull the trigger!!! Just warning ya! grin This is the last guy I let shoot an elk in a canyon. He didn't do it the next year. That one came out in pieces just like this...[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Elk Hunter,

I ain't scared...lol... I pack a 40 to 50 pound pack of extra gear with me while deer hunting, simply to make sure the kid and I can be comfy should plans change in an emergency. Not only that its good for the soul it makes one more thankful for the blessings of a harvest. I started that several years back when I was a kid after I had a scare from a fall when a treestand gave on me. Now tis a tradition with me and I feel wrong without a pack! Just call me silly... Thanks for the pic!!!

Oh Dave by the way now I'm hungry Thanks alot...lol

Last edited by wabo; 12/28/08.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep, house for the fish. like the movie field of dreams "If you build it, they will come." Right? grin

I guess I should post some pics of the fish house so you southern folks can see what that's all about.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
When you post those pics Dave, that will seal the deal for those souther boys. They'll make our reservation for the loony bin pronto.

Folks from the south think we're crazy for living here durring the winter, and we wouldn't have it any other way. They are the crazies...they wear winter coats when it is 60 degrees out. grin I wore a a t-shirt and a sweatshirt into work today. To warm for a coat...23 degrees. It is only a 3 block walk from the parking lot.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That elk roast sounds mighty fine. You cook it like we do a beef roast...potatoes, carrots onions, celery. All the good stuff. That sounds good, even at 7;30 in the AM.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
It was 8 here this morning. I thought that was pretty nice, stayed above zero all night.

But we got snow, good foot of drifted snow on the road for my 25 mile drive to work this morning. I should have took the snowmobile.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wabo
Elk Hunter,

I ain't scared...lol... I pack a 40 to 50 pound pack of extra gear with me while deer hunting, simply to make sure the kid and I can be comfy should plans change in an emergency. Not only that its good for the soul it makes one more thankful for the blessings of a harvest. I started that several years back when I was a kid after I had a scare from a fall when a treestand gave on me. Now tis a tradition with me and I feel wrong without a pack! Just call me silly... Thanks for the pic!!!

Oh Dave by the way now I'm hungry Thanks alot...lol

Would this be the same Wabo off the conservation cafe' by chance? If so there is a guy in Colorado gonna kick yer arse. laugh nice to see you man!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We're supposed to get that crap sometime tomorrow. 5" or so.

I don't know what was worse last week. The fact that it was 5 above, or that fact that I didn't think it was all that cold out. crazy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just ran errands on my lunch hour and drove around with my window open the whole time. Man...above zero feels nice!

Put my fish house out yesterday. That was interesting to say the least. Put it this way I started yesterday at 9:00 am, took a 3 hour break to watch the Vikings game and as of 8:00 last night I had the house out but no holes drilled yet. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong! smirk

Stan - way to go! Now go shoot a timber goat!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
first time I put out a ice house, I was 16 I think. We put it out on Fish Lake, near duluth. We just pulled the sucker out, and fished. Never thinking of how we were going to get it off the ice in march.

That sucker was frozen solid to the ice come spring. We pretty much had to demolish it to get it in the back of a truck to get it out of there. The floor stayed...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
nice.

thanks for the calming visual of my new fish house floor froze to lake of the woods come spring grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't feel to bad last weekend put ours out sort of...

First off the tow bolt snapped and we got that fixed then once we were on the lake the whole dang tow bar broke off from the runners.

So now I get to jack the house up hopefully, replace the runners and 2x4 side boards on the ice.

Should be fun.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that sounds like a great time.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So come down crack some beverages and gimme a hand I am thinking properly motivated we could turn this into a grand old time.

Beer brauts on the ice, a commitee meeting to plan the best course of action, and the liqour store is only a couple hunnert yards away.

Page 98 of 1,842 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 14 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.