That's the best way to forget recoil and noise... smile

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I recently had a Limbsaver put on my Guide Gun and its a big improvement. When I get to put some game in the sights I'm sure that will take away the rest of the recoil!

I've never been one to pay a lot of attention to recoil but I do have a limbsaver on my Marlin and it doesn't seem to kick any worse than my BLR in 308.

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, There's still time to change the road you're on. Member GCO & NRA.... Hirschj�ger
H
hmt Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Does limbsaver have a pre-fit version of their recoil pad for the guide gun or do I need to have one ground to fit?

I believe there is a pre-fit decelerator so I may go that route ... though come to think of it, their site just says 1895 I think, not specifically the guide gun ...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I will report on Friday after the state of California has figured out I haven't joined the Taliban,AlQiada or Hamas since my last 25 gun purchases and I am able to take possesion of my 1895 CB I purchased 22 days ago..........I HATE CALIFORNIA!

Good Day
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had a decelerator put on my 1895cb and had them hold the length to the original. They were going to have to trim it up to make it work.
A question about porting. How much will it reduce recoil? Would I need to send the rifle back to Marlin or do must gunsmiths do porting? This cannon stuff is all new to me. Thanks.

Eddie

Good Day
My guide gun with +P loads is not something I shoot for fun, but is not so bad, that I can't get a good practice session in at the range.

I agree with most posters here that the limbsaver/decelerator pad is the single biggest improvement you can do to minimize the recoil. I wouldn't mess with the porting, as I am sure it works, but your ears pay for it in a hunting situation.

With the addition of Limbsaver and wearing a Past recoil pad at the range, I can shoot 20 or so rounds of +P loads, before I start to get uncomfortable. Repeated 7-8 times throughout the summer and I have a load developed for hunting and have become accurate with it from any shooting stance be it: benched, prone or upright.

Additionally, if you are recoil sensitive, there are a couple of other tricks that you can do as well when shooting off the bench. The first was mentioned earlier in this thread. Stack your sandbags, so that you are in more of an upright position on the bench. This will allow your upper torso to act as a spring, soaking up alot of that felt recoil. If not, you are just dead-stopping the full load of 30-45 lbs of recoil into your body mass and that will get old in a hurry.

The second is: If your range will allow it, or if you have your own shooting area, load your gun and magazine full of shells. Additionally, if you have a stock-sock that holds rounds, load it up too. Those little 45/70 pills add up in weight which will soak up recoil and pretty soon you have just enough recoil reduction to move it from bothersome to manageable. Every little bit can help.

The Guide Gun is hoot to shoot with anything moving 1300 or 1600 fps. but get above that and you will want to pay it a little respect. I seem to do ok with recoil, but that doesn't mean I like it, and will do the below mentioned tricks to minimize it as much as possible. I am one who prefers to bench the rifle to work up a load and get the gun shooting accurately and then I will practice with it from different positions. Offhand is clearly a different recoil experience than benched, but that is because of your torso being enabled to act like a spring as mentioned above.

Regards,

Autumn Pulse

"Be a Straight-Shooter in ALL that you do."
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Finally got to do some shooting with my 1895XLR 444 and 1895CB 45-70. The 444 was smooth and I enjoyed it. Did pretty well with it considering I still need to scope it and I am blind as a bat. The sights are a blur.
Now for the gun I have anxiously been waiting to shoot now for almost a month. The 45-70. I have some 300grn fedral and Rem. and a box of 405 grn Rem. I started out with the 300 feds. I fired the first 3 rounds at 50 yds and was able to place them all on the target despite the poor eyesight. The fourth round ended the session. The gun failed! I went to cycle the 5th round into the chamber but couldn't. The guns lever was stuck solid, chamber wide open. I noticed the firing pin, or the striker pin was hanging down at an odd angle too. I will be taking the gun back to the dealer on Monday.
Lastnight while getting the gun ready to take to the range I noticed it was a little dirty in the chamber. I know they test fire guns but this looked a little bit more than the normal fouling you get from that.
I also cycled a few rounds through both the 444 and the 45-70 lastnight. The 444 had no problems. The 45-70 had trouble with the extractor. It wouldn't extract the round unless the gun was pointing up causing the round to come down with gravity. This isn't right.......now this. I have never had a problem with a new gun. Ever. Anyone ever had a similar situation with the 1895CB 45-70?

Eddie

btw. Recoil with the decelerator pad was very comfortable, wish had could have tried it out with the 405 grn Rem's.

Good Day
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have clarify a little and I am hoping for a little help here. I notice the firing pin is fully extended with the lever and chamber opened fully.My other 1895 has the firing pin recessed in the cocked position when open. Obviously something isn't right with the CB I just wonder what it is. The lever is locked tight. Will be taking it back in the morning.

Originally Posted by hayman
Finally got to do some shooting with my 1895XLR 444 and 1895CB 45-70. The 444 was smooth and I enjoyed it. Did pretty well with it considering I still need to scope it and I am blind as a bat. The sights are a blur.
Now for the gun I have anxiously been waiting to shoot now for almost a month. The 45-70. I have some 300grn fedral and Rem. and a box of 405 grn Rem. I started out with the 300 feds. I fired the first 3 rounds at 50 yds and was able to place them all on the target despite the poor eyesight. The fourth round ended the session. The gun failed! I went to cycle the 5th round into the chamber but couldn't. The guns lever was stuck solid, chamber wide open. I noticed the firing pin, or the striker pin was hanging down at an odd angle too. I will be taking the gun back to the dealer on Monday.
Lastnight while getting the gun ready to take to the range I noticed it was a little dirty in the chamber. I know they test fire guns but this looked a little bit more than the normal fouling you get from that.
I also cycled a few rounds through both the 444 and the 45-70 lastnight. The 444 had no problems. The 45-70 had trouble with the extractor. It wouldn't extract the round unless the gun was pointing up causing the round to come down with gravity. This isn't right.......now this. I have never had a problem with a new gun. Ever. Anyone ever had a similar situation with the 1895CB 45-70?

Eddie

btw. Recoil with the decelerator pad was very comfortable, wish had could have tried it out with the 405 grn Rem's.

Good Day
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I posted this up on a fishing forum I am a memeber of and got an answer within an hour. It's called the Marlin Jam. I did a little research and sure enough it's widely known in the lever gun world. Nice.
I own more than my share of rifles and these are my first Marlins. I always thought of Marlin as a cheap gun and never cared to own one until I decided I wanted a big bore lever gun. I wish I had known the true history about these guns before making the purchase. A company that has been in the business for as long as Marlin has shouldn't be selling flawed products. I guess I was right about them all along. What a crock!

Good Day
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Yeah, sell that thing. Those Marlins a JUNK!!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
No I won't be selling the Marlin. I must admit I let my temper get the best of me. I am not happy about it but it is what it is. The shop's gunsmith was not available but the fellow that helped me out owns the same gun and a few other Marlins. He knows Marlins and claims he has never had a problem and isn't aware of any design flaws that have been overlooked.From the looks of it though the gun will probably be sent back to the factory. I will wait and see with the CB. I am hoping it's repaired with no more problems.I was only able to put three rounds through it after a month long wait, that's probably what got me a little steamed.Till then, I will be giving the .444 a good workout. Sorry for getting out of line.

Eddie

Good Day
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Autum,
Thank you for your response. I will put your advice to good use. With a back held together with a sizable box of hardware I will need it. Thanks again.

Eddie

Good Day
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The problem with my 1895CB was a broken extractor. A small piece fell down below th carrier and jammed th gun. Sending off for the extractor that was found to be defective. End of story. I hope.

Eddie

Good Day
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hope it works out well for you. I love my Guide Gun, might feel different if I'd ever had problems though.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I feel pretty confident it was just a rare deffect. I jumped the gun a little with the temper......had a rough day and it was the topper. I have talked to several people who own the same gun and all have had great luck with them. I am planning on this being my go to gun for hunting the timber in Montana. We have lot's of bears and now wolves. I need reliability. Hoping I get it back tomorrow, it's lot's of fun to shoot and I could use some fun.........thanks.

Eddie

Last edited by hayman; 12/30/08.

Good Day
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know what it's like to have a bad day, sure not any fun. Should be great for what your planning to use it for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the thread guys. I have been debating pulling the trigger on one of the Davidson's special run of 16.5" Stainless, laminated stock 45-70's, and this thread pushed me over the edge!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late to the game and haven't read ALL the replies but I'll still throw in my 2 cents worth and vote . . . Choice #4 or none of the above.

I don't have a GG but I do have an 1895CB in 45-70. At the range just shooting targets, I use good hearing protection and a Past recoil pad. When I hunt and shoot a critter I neither hear or feel the rifle go off. I doubt if you would either, especially if it's one of those 6x6 MI whitetails or a 50" moose in your sights . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and use 405 gr. factory loads rather than 300 gr..

PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,428
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.