Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rando
My only wish is that my Dad had had the foresight to buy two in Wyoming in 1952, then I'd be cherishing more than the one .300 99 I have from him. I take a lot of heat from my pards for still shooting with iron sights, but they know the difference when they get close to camp after a day carrying their scoped heavy weights and then see blood under my fingernails!

where I hunt, a scope is nearly a hinderance...actually my 3-9 did me wrong this year...needed to count no less than 4 points on one side to shoot a buck and it was so close and so dark the scope was too much at 3 power...long story but I am going 1-5 or tang sights from here I think or open sights...

Andrew
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bronson is carrying a M-99 EG, back then it would have been a 300 or 250-3000...Marvin carried a cut down carbine 30-40 Krag.

Martin Sheen is holding a 99R in the picture posted above.

Boltman,
for what its worth, I had the Rosillas Mountain Ranch leased for a number of year. It borders the Big Bend National Park South of Marathon, Texas..That is where the Three Burials of Melquides Estrada was filmed..That ranch is a mecca for Mule Deer, Coues Deer and Javalina...The other scenes were on the Rio Grande and in Boquillas Mexico just across the Rio Grande River..

Last edited by atkinson; 12/28/08.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Went looking for "Badlands" today on dvd and couldnt find it.
Walmart can special order it, is it a pretty good movie?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by atkinson
Bronson is carrying a M-99 EG, back then it would have been a 300 or 250-3000...Marvin carried a cut down carbine 30-40 Krag.

Boltman,
for what its worth, I had the Rosillas Mountain Ranch leased for a number of year. It borders the Big Bend National Park South of Marathon, Texas..That is where the Three Burials of Melquides Estrada was filmed..That ranch is a mecca for Mule Deer, Coues Deer and Javalina...The other scenes were on the Rio Grande and in Boquillas Mexico just across the Rio Grande River..

Ray - that is really neat. Tremendously beautiful country. I used to live in Texas, unfortunately, the armpit of the world - Houston. However, I did travel out to Big Bend and really liked it. Some of the scenary they showed in the movie was hauntingly beautiful.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
the armpit of the world - Houston.

Currently living in Houston, I must take exception to that comment!

I always figured Houston was where they would insert the tube if they gave the world an enema...

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I did like the gunshows in Houston - lots of tables and big dealers coming through. There was always something to see. When I moved to from Clear Lake City to Southwest Houston I enjoyed being close to Collector's Firearms. I seem to recall one of the owners, Mike Clark got gunned down in his own store. That's Houston for you.

S
smle Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In the film Lee Marvin has a Krag sporter and other mounties a Lee Endfield sporter and the other a Winchester 94? but in the real world they would have most likely the Canadian military rifle the Lee Endfield .303 or even a Ross, I know in Australia in that period 1931, police used the Lee Endfield so I am presuming Canada would be the same, Does anyone know what rifles were on issue at that time?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The mounties were using the winchester 1876 carbine in 45-75 caliber at that time. The 303 savage using smokeless powder was a great improvement over those old black powder loads. Don

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I really like the movie and i read the book about the Mad Trapper by Dick North every christmas as a tradition. Its the first man hunt in Canadian history where a plane was used. The plane was piloted by a fellow named Wop May. My home town of 32 years was a home base for Wop May. I have also seen the real life display of the equipment "The Mad Trapper" used and was on his person when he was killed. The museum i saw it at described the Savage 99 as a "Featherweight Takedown" it was in .30-.30 Winchester. He also had a Winchester pump action .22 and a sawed off single shot Iver Johnson 12 gauge.

Unlike the movie, Constable Edgar Millen was shot and killed by the Mad Trapper. Millen is buried not to far from where i currently live.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Force/en/adventures/adventures/trapper/

Last edited by Leverboy; 02/21/09.
B
B
A key piece of evidence in the real Albert Johnson mad trapper case was his .30 savage. Were these guns common in 1931? Perhaps many trappers had them. The only good suspect left in this case seems to be Sigvald Haaskjold. www.wassigvaldthemadtrapper.com

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for that link bpilot. Interesting.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by atkinson

Boltman,

It wasn't a .300 or a .250-3000 It was a .30-.30 I have seen it in person along with his other equipment.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the movie Joe Kid with Clint Eastwood the Robert Duvall character packs a 99. Don't remember which model.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 17,205 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,074
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.